+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Head of Development Andy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly Harmless

Welcome to Project CARS and WMD

Firstly, thanks for purchasing your tool pack, we hope you enjoy the project

Now on to the boring bits: you've joined a project which is in development, with a role to play in making sure the game gets finished to a very high level of quality. Your contribution is flexible, and can range from something very small to something very significant, e.g.:

1. Testing builds and reporting bugs (but see here).
    2. Making game design suggestions and critiques.
    3. Producing screenshots and/or videos to help with marketing.
    4. Producing logos or other art for the website/general marketing use.
    5. Creating lighting settings for use in the game.
    6. Creating replay camera sets for use in the game.
    7. Scripting career events for use in the game.

… these are just random examples, many more things are possible, especially as we're able to complete and release more advanced tools.

And now the really important bit - the WMD forum isn't a "normal" discussion forum. It's effectively the "virtual office" where game development is done. It's not a place for random discussions and arguments (albeit we do have an off topic forum ). It's also absolutely not the place for slagging off the game or development team without constructive suggestions for improvement. It's especially important to understand the "in development" part - many many things are buggy, not finished, or not even there at all. This is just a fact of development and it helps nobody if you get upset or angry about this and post a rant saying so

We appreciate that it's an unusual system and will be hard for some to get used to. At the same time we won't be able to tolerate members who don't follow the process. If a new member joins and dives in to the forum creating problems straight away then they will be removed immediately with their tool pack money refunded. Longer term members who break the rules will be warned initially, but if they continue to offend then their accounts will be removed also.

Sorry to put this so harshly but our job is to make the very best game possible in the time we have. We don't have the time (or frankly the inclination) to allow the forum to be polluted by rule breakers, as this just slows us down.

I should say in general btw that the process is working really well so far. The vast majority of members "get it" very quickly and we have a very constructive and positive environment. It's easy for negativity to creep in though, so we'll do our best to make sure that doesn't happen.

Head of Development Andy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly Harmless
    (Those already here will know most of this already of course, this thread has been created for new members from this point.)

Lee616
    It looks like you beat me to it Andy. I was just thinking of posting a thread for the dev's to give us some feedback on how we are doing for you at your end. I assumed it would be a bit of a mixed bag but I'm happy to hear it's working pretty well.

pCARS: Senior C3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond reputeC3PO has a reputation beyond repute C3PO's Avatar
    For me I think I should stick to the LMP1 and parhaps the DTM stuff - as I have been driving them the most - to make comparions between builds? Really looking forward to Friday's release.
    Specs: No Kids; i7 5820K @3.8GHz; nvidia GTX 980Ti 6GB; 3 x Iiyama 24" monitors running at 5760 x 1080; 16GB DDR4 2133 RAM; 120GB SSD; 1000W PSU; Win8.1 Home Premium 64 bit; Fanatec CSB v2 + Carbon Formula Wheel; Fanatec Club Sport Pedals; FREXGP Sequential Shift+; Corbeau Revenge GT1 seat; Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II speakers; Fibre broadband: 300Mbps down / 30Mbps up

pCARS: Full Member alisdairb1995 will become famous soon enoughalisdairb1995 will become famous soon enough alisdairb1995's Avatar
    This is what i have always wanted to see from a game developer, involving the community in every possible aspect they can from the ideas, marketing to helping the developers with feedback and having things changed for the best of the game.

pCARS: Senior Tiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond reputeTiago Fortuna has a reputation beyond repute Tiago Fortuna's Avatar
    Sticky? Plus what ^ said
    ---
    My feedback is always on defaults unless stated otherwise. Auto-Clutch is OFF
    AKA RomKnight - Hoping for Estoril, Portimão and its kart track to be included

| CPU: i5 4670K@4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX780 Gaming 3GB +90GPU/+390MEM - (353.30) | Mobo: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    | RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz CL10 | PSU: Corsair TX850M | OS: Win 8.1 x86_64 | Sound: Asus Xonar DX + Asus Vulcan Pro | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    | Monitor: 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected)

| Wheel: CSWv2 w/ CSPv3 (USB) + CSS SQ (driver 231 - FW141) | Damping: 100 | 900º
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0 | FFB/TF: 100/60 | Per Wheel Movement: -0.07/0.03/0.01
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: OFF | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: OFF | Lin: OFF | Dea: OFF | Dri: OFF | For: 100| Spr:[/B] 0 | Dpr: 0
    | Tweakers: None

| Visual FX: Blur: Off | HDR: Photo | Aniso: 16x | AA: OFF | Vsync: On | Flare: OFF | FOV: 110 | Grass: Off | Other: Low w/ High car and track detail
    | Driving assists : Off
    | CmdLine: -skipcrowds -novr -dx11mt

Super Moderator Dan Blamey has disabled reputation Dan Blamey's Avatar
    And also peoples, if you notice someone seems to have the wrong idea about what we're doing here, point them to Andy's post
    i5 2500K | 7950 WF3 3GB | ASRock z77 Extreme 6 | RAM: 8GB | PSU: 750w | W8.1 x64 | G27 | Acer 23" 1920x1080 | Steam ID: Headsoup
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Andrew Clark,beezley

pCARS: Manager Andrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Clark has a reputation beyond repute Andrew Clark's Avatar
    I am very much enjoying the community forums and posts from it's members. A lot of old school here with some very impressive members and what they have brought to the table for the Sim Racing Industry. Thanks Everyone Best Forums out there!!!

pCARS: Manager ermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond repute ermo's Avatar
    Well put, Andy.

I remember asking about how you guys were planning to calibrate/manage expectations back in October or so. This post was exactly what I was hoping for: Polite, short and on point.

*Hat tip*
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 16GB DDR3-1600 | GFX 2xHD7970 3GB 1000 MHz Core/1500 MHz RAM @ 3x1080p 27" (CrossFireX 'Optimize 1x1' custom pCARS.exe profile) | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | OS Win8.1 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ © ™ ® ° ← ↑ → ↓| Steam maintenance procedure KB article | Project CARS database thread | Project CARS Community Wiki | Render Bridge Interval notes | Logitech G27 FFB Test Protocol suggestion | HOWTO delete your profile

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Garton View Post
    And now the really important bit - the WMD forum isn't a "normal" discussion forum. It's effectively the "virtual office" where game development is done. It's not a place for random discussions and arguments (albeit we do have an off topic forum ). It's also absolutely not the place for slagging off the game or development team without constructive suggestions for improvement. It's especially important to understand the "in development" part - many many things are buggy, not finished, or not even there at all. This is just a fact of development and it helps nobody if you get upset or angry about this and post a rant saying so

We appreciate that it's an unusual system and will be hard for some to get used to. At the same time we won't be able to tolerate members who don't follow the process. If a new member joins and dives in to the forum creating problems straight away then they will be removed immediately with their tool pack money refunded. Longer term members who break the rules will be warned initially, but if they continue to offend then their accounts will be removed also.

Sorry to put this so harshly but our job is to make the very best game possible in the time we have. We don't have the time (or frankly the inclination) to allow the forum to be polluted by rule breakers, as this just slows us down.
    I just wanted to bump the above, as I think most people can see we've had a poor week or so in this regard. For whatever the reason the forum has become a less productive, and frankly less enjoyable, place to be. It's especially unfortunate because in my (admittedly biased) view the development team has had a good month - we've worked extremely hard to make good progress in important areas (input, physics, FFB) as well as add some cool new content. Far from this work getting a positive response we seem to be spiralling in the other direction. Understandably this has left us feeling rather flat, and to be totally honest rather more keen to stay deep in Visual Studio or 3D Max than spend much time here. This in itself ultimately won't help of course as we need to work together here if the process is to be successful.

There has also been a significant increase especially in the amount of posts along the lines of "I keep asking for this without getting a response". The reality is we're a small team and we have a game to make. Everything gets read by somebody and significant flows of opinion or obvious major bugs will absolutely get actioned promptly. We really must show a lot more patience though - we have a long way to go to finish the game so not everything needs doing (or can be done) yesterday.

I hope this post will have some effect, but if it doesn't then unfortunately we will start a serious process of removing memberships of those people creating problems. It will be a simple process of a PM'd or posted warning followed by removal if the warning has no effect. I'm sure this will be seen very negatively outside this forum but frankly I don't see any other way if we're to get back on track.