+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Head of Development Andy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly Harmless

What to Expect From the C.A.R.S. Build

The first build of the game is a snapshot of the current early stage of development. It's awesome (!), but has very few actual features, minimal car and track content, and plenty of bugs

This represents the first step of our journey together to create the finished title. We do of course want you all to enjoy playing the build as it stands now, but equally importantly we need your help to make it better. In effect we need you to be game designers, QA engineers, and marketeers

From a design/playability perspective let us know what you think of the game now, both good points and bad points. Tell us what kind of features and content you want to see (and don't want to see!) in future.

QA wise at this phase of the project we're primarily interested in serious/showstopping bugs, the kind that prevents you from playing properly at all, e.g. it won't start up, or it crashes during track loading. At this stage there will be lots of less serious issues as mentioned above - most of these are simply a consequence of tasks not being finished yet. As we complete detailed features and content we'll let you know when we'd like bug reports on them. To give you some idea of the scale of the QA process - it's not unusual for a project of this size to encounter 20000+ bugs before it's done.

Equally importantly, we want you to help sell/market the project - the more team members we have the faster the game will progress. So tell your friends how great it is!

Have fun, and let's get to work

Head of Development Andy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly HarmlessAndy Garton is Mostly Harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Garton View Post
    The first build of the game is a snapshot of the current early stage of development. It's awesome (!), but has very few actual features, minimal car and track content, and plenty of bugs

QA wise at this phase of the project we're primarily interested in serious/showstopping bugs, the kind that prevents you from playing properly at all, e.g. it won't start up, or it crashes during track loading. At this stage there will be lots of less serious issues as mentioned above - most of these are simply a consequence of tasks not being finished yet. As we complete detailed features and content we'll let you know when we'd like bug reports on them. To give you some idea of the scale of the QA process - it's not unusual for a project of this size to encounter 20000+ bugs before it's done.
    Perhaps worth a bump on the above points especially - the current build represents a very very early stage of development. It really is just the core racing engine, with a small amount of work-in-progress content. Huge areas of the "game" either don't exist yet or are placeholder. We know the GUI especially is very limited and makes things quite awkward to set up and use the game initially.

But please don't panic By all means play and enjoy what is there currently, but comparisons with completed games don't really hold much value yet as this one isn't! We have time

pCARS: Manager ermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond reputeermo has a reputation beyond repute ermo's Avatar
    Andy,

What can we as members expect in terms of progress reports and understanding the big picture? I understand that you plan to make minutes available for selected developer meetings, and I've taken note that Ian posted a "What's coming in Friday's build." thread, which I personally think is a great idea, but it might not scale too well down the line...

What is your position on e.g. making available a timeline with projected milestones a la trac so that us punters can know whether or not to wail and moan about a particular sacred cow for the next build / milestone?

I understand that you need to strike a balance in terms of what you spend your time on, of course. I also don't expect managing a project of this size and with this large an amount of testers will be a walk in the park...

But perhaps it's still a bit too early to ask about all this?

On a related note, I'm wondering if not you lot are going to be better off posting fairly conservative and pessimistic estimates to help manage expectations (IMHO, the above posts are good examples of that) and avoid people moaning too much -- I'm guessing that it'd feel a fair bit nicer for you (and hence boost team morale) if people are mostly being positively surprised?

EDIT: I see that I'm not the only one who has asked about timeline / milestone (read-only) access...

EDIT #2: I see that you're still debating whether / how to make the internal bugtracker available to the public
    Last edited by ermo; 15-10-2011 at 21:39.
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 16GB DDR3-1600 | GFX 2xHD7970 3GB 1000 MHz Core/1500 MHz RAM @ 3x1080p 27" (CrossFireX 'Optimize 1x1' custom pCARS.exe profile) | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | OS Win8.1 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓| Steam maintenance procedure KB article | Project CARS database thread | Project CARS Community Wiki | Render Bridge Interval notes | Logitech G27 FFB Test Protocol suggestion | HOWTO delete your profile
    The following 3 users likes this Post: DetlevH,Leonardo Farias,thepiwo

pCARS CARS: Junior Marienx is on a distinguished road

My Opinion

Hi, first of all I would like to thank SMS for such an amazing sim.

Here is my feedback an opinion... I love this game!
    Even though im having a blast I would like to say that the physics can be improved, I just dont want to have that sence of arcade as so ever, not even a little bit... I want the most simulation you can give because at the end, the game as it is is no made for just any racing game fan but for harcore sim acer, for those with a pc wheel and sim racing experience.

Things I would like to see

*In car button interaction.. Meaning, being able to use and see moving the dials in the car.
    Example: Netkar Pro

* Tire degradation... Make tire shines when you first start but while racing let us be able to see wearing out.
    Example: rFactor2

*Real Clutch feeling.. as you know in real life you can't drive a manual vehicle if you don't use the clutch properly, but in every simracing game that I had played the clutch (in automatic clutch off) is not necessary to switch gears.
    Example: rFactor, your Games, Live4Speed, etc..

*Safety car..
    Example: rFactor

*Crashing against tires barriers... When crashing against it, please! don't make those tires feel like concrete walls and make them feel more like real tires
    Example: http://assets.speedtv.com/images/art...img_large2.jpg

* Engineer Mode & Team director mode... When forming a team I could be in the race acting as a team spotter or race engineer who sits in a track-side telemetry station being able to see everything from that spot like it was a cockpit such as car telemetry, position spots, whether cast, race... Always trying to enrich the team experience when making leagues, tournaments etc..
    Example: http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/pg/62046598/sc016.jpg

*Team Radio.. From the track-side telemetry stations where the spotters would be they will contact their drivers with team radios with real in-game background noise.
    Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0U8VsxqV8

*Real pit experience such as free-view around pits garage and full pit madness when coming for a pit stop. Also you know when you don't request a pit stop in rf and you just coming to pits and pit crew just show up and are ready, well don't make it like this many
    Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mg9E9x3rEMA

*animated Safety Marshals

*Podium victories with driver celebration and for this will be ideal to be able to create your own characters face.

*Realistic damage... We know how fragile racing cars are so make the best damage simulation out there.

*Dry line when rain. Example: rfactor2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLH_8PxiD5E

As ideas come along I will keep them posting
    Last edited by Marienx; 16-10-2011 at 00:26.

pCARS: Manager (x2) Machinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud ofMachinaea has much to be proud of Machinaea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marienx View Post
    *In car button interaction.. Meaning, being able to use and see moving the dials in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Mensik View Post
    - regarding detailed cockpit animations (buttons switch etc...), it's doable, but extremely expensive. Each car is unique, so we are preparing driver animations from scratch for every single car (just imagine 1 day for cockpit animations multiplied by 100 cars or more) and when you're driving, you just barely notice such things like hands switching buttons ON/OFF. It's nice, but we would rather focus on overall animations quality than making a lot of animations for every single button and each car, which won't look so good as we won't have enough time for it.
    * Tire degradation... Make tire shines when you first start but while racing let us be able to see wearing out.
    Example: rFactor2
    Tire wear will be added with tires blowing and visual effects.

*Crashing against tires barriers... When crashing against it, please! don't make those tires feel like concrete walls and make them feel more like real tires
    Example: http://assets.speedtv.com/images/art...img_large2.jpg
    I'm not sure about that one, but having invidual physics for all of the tires in the barriers sounds like a lot of work for the physics engine. Still, a really neat idea.

*Real pit experience such as free-view around pits garage and full pit madness when coming for a pit stop. Also you know when you don't request a pit stop in rf and you just coming to pits and pit crew just show up and are ready, well don't make it like this many
    Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mg9E9x3rEMA
    I believe that proper pit stops are in the works.

*Podium victories with driver celebration and for this will be ideal to be able to create your own characters face.
    A neat idea, but probably too much for work for a small detail.

*Dry line when rain. Example: rfactor2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLH_8PxiD5E
    http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthrea...-Living-Tracks
    |ASUS P6T SE | Intel i920@2.66GHz | ASUS ATI Radeon HD5850@760MHz | 6GB 1600MHz Triple Channel DDR3 | 3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 | Logitech MOMO |
    The following user likes this Post: thepiwo

Quote Originally Posted by ermo View Post
    Andy,

What can we as members expect in terms of progress reports and understanding the big picture? I understand that you plan to make minutes available for selected developer meetings, and I've taken note that Ian posted a "What's coming in Friday's build." thread, which I personally think is a great idea, but it might not scale too well down the line...

What is your position on e.g. making available a timeline with projected milestones a la trac so that us punters can know whether or not to wail and moan about a particular sacred cow for the next build / milestone?

I understand that you need to strike a balance in terms of what you spend your time on, of course. I also don't expect managing a project of this size and with this large an amount of testers will be a walk in the park...

But perhaps it's still a bit too early to ask about all this?

On a related note, I'm wondering if not you lot are going to be better off posting fairly conservative and pessimistic estimates to help manage expectations (IMHO, the above posts are good examples of that) and avoid people moaning too much -- I'm guessing that it'd feel a fair bit nicer for you (and hence boost team morale) if people are mostly being positively surprised?

EDIT: I see that I'm not the only one who has asked about timeline / milestone (read-only) access...

EDIT #2: I see that you're still debating whether / how to make the internal bugtracker available to the public
    All good questions/points and ones we've been discussing for a while now and will continue to do so. It is a little early to set a full project plan as this largely depends on the size of the member base (and what they want us to make). In the shorter term we do need to create a roadmap of the first set of features and content. The honest truth is that we've been very busy with the launch itself recently so there has been little time for much else. As a sneak peek though some of the things we're hoping to deliver soon are full access to car setups, a significantly improved menu system (albeit still not final in terms of design) and a time attack mode with an online leadebboard.

pCARS: Full Member MrUniverse2101 will become famous soon enough MrUniverse2101's Avatar
    I wish me, that the enginesounds are good in the replays, too! not like old synthesizer. It's time for a little sound revolution! It must sound like as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9TOy8HKnzE
    Last edited by MrUniverse2101; 17-10-2011 at 19:09.
    DAMN, I want a Lamborghini Gallardo !!!!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: gogoger,thepiwo,Umer Ahmad

pCARS: Senior Silvio Camolesi is a jewel in the roughSilvio Camolesi is a jewel in the roughSilvio Camolesi is a jewel in the roughSilvio Camolesi is a jewel in the rough Silvio Camolesi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marienx View Post
    Example: Netkar Pro
    I'm an onwer of NKP licence since its release, and seriously, I can't see any positive point in this feature. It is not usefull and please tell me how you can drive and point your mouse onto a button on the screen while you do it.

What we really need is a GOOD simulator with AMAZING graphics, sound, accurated physics, raw and precise force feedback, a strong netcode, and perhaps day-nyght cycle, climatic changes and live track.

We don't need thousands of tracks and cars, not at first moment.

What we really need is something very well done, something with high quality in all senses.

We don't need to walk around the track or click virtual buttons on the screen.
    Last edited by Silvio Camolesi; 19-10-2011 at 01:36.

pCARS: Team Member d34n0 is on a distinguished road d34n0's Avatar
    @ Silvio Camolesi, I'm also a huge NKPro fan (and owner) and I've used those in car dash buttons a whole one time (the first time i got the sim) and have never used them since. So although in concept they sound 'cool', they're not very practical like you say.

I also agree with everything else you said Silvio.

in order of preference:

Physics (sim sim sim (NKPro is the best 'feeling' sim I've found so far and I've tried them all (except i haven't tried the new tire model in iRacing))),
    FFB,
    Netcode,
    GFX,
    Sound,
    Dedicated Server Support,
    Then add the fluff like Weather, Track Evolution, Pit stop Mechanics, etc etc
    | Core i7 - 2600K | Asus P8Z67 B3 Pro | 8GB Patriot Viper2-Sector5 DDR3| Lian Li 750W PSU |
    | ATI 7970 @ 6040 x 1080 Eyefinity | 3 x 23" 1920 x 1080 LCD's |
    | Logitech G27, G15, G9, Z5500 | Tritton AX Pro 5.1 |
    | Windows 7 x64 Enterprise |

pCARS: Team Member HeraBrasil is on a distinguished road
    Great BIG SORO.... totally agree with u!!!
    The following user likes this Post: thepiwo