PDA

View Full Version : Let's Go Karting! - New Build Available

Rob Prange
24-10-2011, 14:39
Slightly Mad Studios has rolled out a new development build of C.A.R.S., allowing all Team Members to experience the smallest form of competitive motorsport - Karting.

For more info on what's packed into this week's build, check out the frontpage story (http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/lets-go-karting/#more-332).

Peaceweb
24-10-2011, 14:40
download in progress :D

Ian Bell
24-10-2011, 14:42
Small prewarning that we designed this track to stress the physics. It's much humpier and bumpier than you'd want for maximum jollies.

Flat tracks will come in later builds though.

Ginger McAle
24-10-2011, 14:44
The sky is the limit! :D
Installing...

Syonco
24-10-2011, 14:45
Excellent, can't wait to check it out! Thanks again guys

Mostly Sunny
24-10-2011, 14:56
Que "where is the download"

Took me a second but I did find it, thanks for the torrent option!

:cool:

Priit Vork
24-10-2011, 14:57
Rob, it's the 2nd time you have made a mistake on a forum post redirecting to the news... Oh you.
frontage

Dillyracer
24-10-2011, 15:07
Yes, kart time.

YES!

Rob Prange
24-10-2011, 15:07
Rob, it's the 2nd time you have made a mistake on a forum post redirecting to the news... Oh you.
frontage

Thanks for spotting, it's the stupid Mac OS X Lion autocorrect that doesn't know the word frontpage :mad:

DerOutlaw
24-10-2011, 15:24
Use a proper OS :p

Just kidding.

Francesco Huber
24-10-2011, 15:30
Nice Car, thx Crew ;)

Tifosi
24-10-2011, 15:54
nice but, handling not up there with Kart racing Pro,

Remco Van Dijk
24-10-2011, 16:01
nice but, handling not up there with Kart racing Pro,
Is Kart Racing Pro also pre-alpha?

Matt Seet
24-10-2011, 16:13

They just don't get it

Ian Bell
24-10-2011, 16:15
They just don't get it

We're asking for input chaps. You're all part of the development process.

On this note, we'll start releasing more early WIP assets in future so we can work on them together.

Rob Prange
24-10-2011, 16:15

Just in case this wasn't rhetorical question, no, Kart Racing is beta, the fourth beta is due to come out soon.

GMSimRacer
24-10-2011, 16:23
just had a 30 second go at Build 78 the graphics wow huge improvement and FPS..anyway go back for more testing

Remco Van Dijk
24-10-2011, 16:26
Just in case this wasn't rhetorical question, no, Kart Racing is beta, the fourth beta is due to come out soon.
That's useful info, thanks. Still, just saying that "it's not as good as this or that game" doesn't help much to improve CARS. Telling the devs where and how things go wrong and should be better is what will make CARS better.

Dude27
24-10-2011, 16:27
My remembering from my few sessions of racing kart (not the typical everybody go-kart) is that this little beast is amazingly powerful for its size, it brakes on a dime, accelerates like Speedy Gonzales on drugs, the handling is very sharp and demanding and it leaves you with tortured arms at the end and a BIG GRIN on your face... :o one of the best time of my life along with some aerobatic aircraft sessions.

Tifosi
24-10-2011, 17:26

yes. it is

Rob Prange
24-10-2011, 17:28
yes. it is

No it isn't, as written above. The current version is beta 3.

E.K.
24-10-2011, 18:09
Wow, this kart is agile, great fun! Graphics are awesome. Most convincing lighting setup so far. I am really impressed.

ViRUS_Alexx
24-10-2011, 18:45
Let's Go Karting!
http://www.ragemaker.net/images/Victorious/28.png

Stefano Schivari
24-10-2011, 19:41
That's useful info, thanks. Still, just saying that "it's not as good as this or that game" doesn't help much to improve CARS. Telling the devs where and how things go wrong and should be better is what will make CARS better.
I think you (C.A.R.S menagment i mean) must clear if cars will be a sim or an arcade I still dont understand it well (maybe i must search some posts on forum).
If cars will be an arcade we will watch graphics,game modes,fun,AI drivers etc,if cars will be (how i hope)a sim (or something a little more than an arcade game)we will focus on physics,tyres,ffb etc.
I'm not an hardcore simracer but i have iracing will all road cars,i play with nkp, rfactor and kart racing pro so i think that i can say that cars it's on arcade side.It's not a problem,it's still a pre alpha,but i wanna understand the future of this game and community.
I'm sorry for my english i try to explain my mind as well as I can with the few words that i know :) I love cars project (i have alot of new visitors on my website due C.A.R.S lol) and i think that you are a great team.

regards

ps KRP it's a beta,it has still many bugs,we cant compare it with any other sim.Piboso (krp owner) works alone on this simulator,he starts the development from physics now he's focused on netcode so he choose a different kind of development.

Mikelt
24-10-2011, 19:58
I can't outrun the speed limit (75km\h) on the test track and kart track with any car, what's the problem?

Dan Blamey
24-10-2011, 20:52
Check that Auto-pit isn't on in the menu options, or check the key you have assigned to it and switch it off on the track.

Dazmaniac
24-10-2011, 23:09
yes. it is
Tifosi,

Sure you're not confusing Kart Racing Pro with KartSim?

Two completely separate projects. KartSim is probably ALPHA as it's been 5 years in the works and no playable build available as yet, but Kart Racing Pro is currently at BETA3 which is available for download from the site.

HeraBrasil
25-10-2011, 01:35
KARTING RACING PRO is amazing... i hope C.A.R.S. will be the same with these littles machines...

franklin
25-10-2011, 02:53
Ive downloaded today last build and there is no kart... =(

smartin13
25-10-2011, 03:00
juniors get just a MONTHLY build.

Dan Blamey
25-10-2011, 03:47
Ive downloaded today last build and there is no kart... =(

Build 73 is the latest build available to juniors. If you upgrade to Team Member, you can download build 78 :)

Tifosi
25-10-2011, 05:04
Tifosi,

Sure you're not confusing Kart Racing Pro with KartSim?

Two completely separate projects. KartSim is probably ALPHA as it's been 5 years in the works and no playable build available as yet, but Kart Racing Pro is currently at BETA3 which is available for download from the site.

I have kart racing pro. I thought it was alpha. But, I'm hoping for the same feel in CARS. kartsim looks hot though.

Hybodo
25-10-2011, 05:42
Small prewarning that we designed this track to stress the physics. It's much humpier and bumpier than you'd want for maximum jollies.

Flat tracks will come in later builds though.

I love tracks with extreme elevation changes. Bring on the fantasy tracks!

Remco Van Dijk
25-10-2011, 07:47
I think you (C.A.R.S menagment i mean) must clear if cars will be a sim or an arcade I still dont understand it well (maybe i must search some posts on forum).
It has been stated many times and also in the official game documentation: CARS will be a sim with enough driving aids and gameplay content to be interesting for the casual player. Please don't use the word 'arcade' anymore, it's polarizing and smells of elitism.

I'm not an hardcore simracer but i have iracing will all road cars,i play with nkp, rfactor and kart racing pro so i think that i can say that cars it's on arcade side.It's not a problem,it's still a pre alpha,but i wanna understand the future of this game and community.

So because CARS feels different than iRacing, rFactor etc., CARS is arcade? :rolleyes: Did it ever occur to you that those other games could be not as realistic as they (or their fans) claim to be? I'm not saying that CARS is perfect (yet ;)), CARS is pre-alpha and it has 12-24 months of development ahead. Bugs need to be solved, car physics needs to be fine tuned etc. It's not a finished product. However, just because it looks and feels different (e.g. easier than iRacing) doesn't mean that it is 'arcade'.

TurboGigi
25-10-2011, 08:02
I think the kart has too much understeer.

Neil LCFC
25-10-2011, 08:26
To me the kart is tricky to drive and doesn't have enough grip or connection with the track. I was karting only last week and the only time you ever go off track is by being way over aggressive, in these it happens on nearly every corner if you drive just hard. Not sure if it's because these karts are miles faster than I was driving or not .

Stefano Schivari
25-10-2011, 08:37
It has been stated many times and also in the official game documentation: CARS will be a sim with enough driving aids and gameplay content to be interesting for the casual player. Please don't use the word 'arcade' anymore, it's polarizing and smells of elitism.

As i say i know that cars start like a sim,but i say what i think...i'm not someone that come here saying : ohh cars amazing ,and then go on other forum and say that's bad,i love the project and if i write something it's for know something more about c.a.r.s and ,maybe,help you.
Maybe i use the wrong tone,but as i say english it's not my native lenguage.So ok it's not an arcade,happy about that.

So because CARS feels different than iRacing, rFactor etc., CARS is arcade? Did it ever occur to you that those other games could be not as realistic as they (or their fans) claim to be? I'm not saying that CARS is perfect (yet ), CARS is pre-alpha and it has 12-24 months of development ahead. Bugs need to be solved, car physics needs to be fine tuned etc. It's not a finished product. However, just because it looks and feels different (e.g. easier than iRacing) doesn't mean that it is 'arcade'.

I say that cars it's a pre alpha in my previus post,so i know that,when my friends told me something about C.A.R.S i always remember that's an aplha.
But you when you are thinking to buy something,like a pc component,you always compare it with something that you have...i think that not many users are real drivers,everybody gives his feedback comparing cars with others sims.
I'm not an iracing fan or else game fan i'm a simracing website owner that support alot of simracing game (will support cars too) so i use all sims and i like all for different things (rfactor for the netcode,nkp for the ffb,iracing becouse i can race when i have time,simbin game for have fun,kart racing pro it's superb imho).
I just wanna see C.a.r.s like the simracing game of future,i just report me sensations and i told what i think.

p.s it's possible change my username?

Remco Van Dijk
25-10-2011, 08:49
As i say i know that cars start like a sim,but i say what i think...i'm not someone that come here saying : ohh cars amazing ,and then go on other forum and say that's bad,i love the project and if i write something it's for know something more about c.a.r.s and ,maybe,help you.
Maybe i use the wrong tone,but as i say english it's not my native lenguage.So ok it's not an arcade,happy about that.

I say that cars it's a pre alpha in my previus post,so i know that,when my friends told me something about C.A.R.S i always remember that's an aplha.
But you when you are thinking to buy something,like a pc component,you always compare it with something that you have...i think that not many users are real drivers,everybody gives his feedback comparing cars with others sims.
I'm not an iracing fan or else game fan i'm a simracing website owner that support alot of simracing game (will support cars too) so i use all sims and i like all for different things (rfactor for the netcode,nkp for the ffb,iracing becouse i can race when i have time,simbin game for have fun,kart racing pro it's superb imho).
I just wanna see C.a.r.s like the simracing game of future,i just report me sensations and i told what i think.

p.s it's possible change my username?
It is very important that people like yourself report what they think about CARS, but you have to keep in mind that the game is in development. So instead of just saying "it feels wrong" or "NKPro is better", which doesn't help the CARS developers at all, tell them HOW it feels wrong or WHY NKPro is better. That way they know what people are looking for and what bugs are still in the game to be solved :)

As for your username, please send a PM to Rob Prange to see what is possible :)

Stefano Schivari
25-10-2011, 09:03
yeh i know this,i just ask what cars should be you reply so now it's clear for me .
I'm a php developer,amatour :), and it's the same for me when my users says : i dont like it will glad to know why.
C.A.R.S has to focus on one thing i think,force feedback,when you have a good ffb you can analyse better the car feelings and physic .ffb of cars start well i think you have to focus on understeer and oversteer sensations.
Vibrations,(on kerbs or while breaking for example)are not so important

wip3
25-10-2011, 09:37
So because CARS feels different than iRacing, rFactor etc., CARS is arcade? :rolleyes: Did it ever occur to you that those other games could be not as realistic as they (or their fans) claim to be? I'm not saying that CARS is perfect (yet ;)), CARS is pre-alpha and it has 12-24 months of development ahead. Bugs need to be solved, car physics needs to be fine tuned etc. It's not a finished product. However, just because it looks and feels different (e.g. easier than iRacing) doesn't mean that it is 'arcade'.

Do the developers have racing expirience? Have they driven the cars they are simulating? I've hear many times people saying that CARS feels different because it's so much more realistic than the other simulators, but I think it's a pretty weird thing to say in pre alpha. People I know who have raced real cars say that atm CARS feels very unnatural compared to other sims. I wouldn't say that CARS is easy to drive. When I get to the limit it's alot more difficult than in any other sim that I have driven because you just have to be so aggressive. With the Formula B in Connecticut Hill I just throw the car in the corners locking my brakes and turning to the full opposite lock and the car still just darts in. When I started driving and wasn't that fast it felt good and real but now that I'm starting to find the limits and can just go beyond them. It's starting to feel like Shift to be honest. Fastest way to drive seems to be changing gears down too fast so that the rear wheels lock and you slide to the corner entry. Then at the apex you can just slam the throttle hard to the floor and the car is super stable at the exit.

TurboGigi
25-10-2011, 09:44
It is very important that people like yourself report what they think about CARS, but you have to keep in mind that the game is in development. So instead of just saying "it feels wrong" or "NKPro is better", which doesn't help the CARS developers at all, tell them HOW it feels wrong or WHY NKPro is better. That way they know what people are looking for and what bugs are still in the game to be solved :)

As for your username, please send a PM to Rob Prange to see what is possible :)

That's right.
An example of my feelings:
On C.A.R.S. unfortunately still does not feel the front. When the front wheels slip a feeling of relief you feel in the steering wheel....And easing the brake pedal does not feel that the wheels have grip again.

But I know that soon everything will be solved because the developers are working hard on this problem.

Yuyuko
25-10-2011, 09:45
Fastest way to drive seems to be changing gears down too fast so that the rear wheels lock and you slide to the corner entry. Then at the apex you can just slam the throttle hard to the floor and the car is super stable at the exit.

Sounds a lot like NASCAR 2003 and iRacing on the Old Tire Model...

Remco Van Dijk
25-10-2011, 09:51
Do the developers have racing expirience? Have they driven the cars they are simulating? I've hear many times people saying that CARS feels different because it's so much more realistic than the other simulators, but I think it's a pretty weird thing to say in pre alpha. People I know who have raced real cars say that atm CARS feels very unnatural compared to other sims. I wouldn't say that CARS is easy to drive. When I get to the limit it's alot more difficult than in any other sim that I have driven because you just have to be so aggressive. With the Formula B in Connecticut Hill I just throw the car in the corners locking my brakes and turning to the full opposite lock and the car still just darts in. When I started driving and wasn't that fast it felt good and real but now that I'm starting to find the limits and can just go beyond them. It's starting to feel like Shift to be honest. Fastest way to drive seems to be changing gears down too fast so that the rear wheels lock and you slide to the corner entry. Then at the apex you can just slam the throttle hard to the floor and the car is super stable at the exit.
I have never said that CARS is more realistc than the other sims, fortunately, at least not that I can remember :) I agree that CARS still has a lot of work in it to be done because there are some obvious quirks in the physics that need to be ironed out. My point is only that plenty of real-life racers have pointed that the current 'holy sims' aren't as realistic as people think, especially since they portray race cars to be very difficult to drive while in reality it's not that bad. Hence, dismissing CARS as not realistic because it doesn't drive like those holy sims is not a valid argument IMO.

As for the devs' racing experience, I think Doug Arnao was 2 times SCCA champion and the recently hired Ben Collins seems to have a decent track record, too ;) Can't speak for the other staff members, though.

Remco Van Dijk
25-10-2011, 09:52
That's right.
An example of my feelings:
On C.A.R.S. unfortunately still does not feel the front. When the front wheels slip a feeling of relief you feel in the steering wheel....And easing the brake pedal does not feel that the wheels have grip again.

But I know that soon everything will be solved because the developers are working hard on this problem.
Yep, FFB needs improvement for sure but input and FFB it has good focus within the team :)

Vittorio Rapa
25-10-2011, 10:04
Do the developers have racing expirience?

Yes, of course.

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 11:56
Doug has won multiple US GT championships.

Jaja
25-10-2011, 12:08
Wip3 If you are faster downshifting quickly on entry it simply mean your brake bias is too much on the front wheel:
the car understeer too much on entry and you make it turn by putting engine brake on rear wheels.

Gus
25-10-2011, 14:25
Doug has won multiple US GT championships.
And if my memory is good, you are yourself a great porsche pilot, isn't it?
I've heard you like rainy tracks, don't you?:o;)

wip3
25-10-2011, 14:25
Wip3 If you are faster downshifting quickly on entry it simply mean your brake bias is too much on the front wheel:
the car understeer too much on entry and you make it turn by putting engine brake on rear wheels.

I haven't tried this new build with setups yet. Going to give it a go today ;)

sagedavid
25-10-2011, 16:28
And if my memory is good, you are yourself a great porsche pilot, isn't it?
I've heard you like rainy tracks, don't you?:o;)
I was thinking it was a Ferrari... ?

djotefsoup
25-10-2011, 16:30
Ian drives the Ferrari. Griff pranged the Porsche. Doug drove a Porsche a while ago, but he upstaged chuck norris too much for everyone's liking.

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 16:40
I've had a few Ferrari's, 360's 430, 458 Italia, 599. I also have a 650 lbs/ft of torque tuned 996 Turbo. I'm too fat to be really fast though.

Peaceweb
25-10-2011, 16:49
You do not need a son??:rolleyes: :D lol

sagedavid
25-10-2011, 17:45
You do not need a son??:rolleyes: :D lol
You wanna be surrogate mother?

Peaceweb
25-10-2011, 18:29
no no i would be his son lol

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 18:39
I'm not actually that old you gits :)

Dude27
25-10-2011, 18:44
Lucky you, Ian... I found it a bit obcene though to have so much 200k+ cars in such economic time but it's just my opinion...

Stefano Schivari
25-10-2011, 18:46
i think Ian mean that he owns the 3d models :) kidding

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 18:46
Lucky you, Ian... I found it a bit obcene though to have so much 200k+ cars in such economic time but it's just my opinion...

I 'had'. The 458 went 4 months ago also. Austerity and all that. I still have the 996 but console myself it's a 25K value car now :)

Dude27
25-10-2011, 18:49
Thank you for your answer, I was ready to get flamed... :rolleyes:

Stefano Schivari
25-10-2011, 18:51

in such economic time i will sell my girlfriend for a 458 italia,and i will sell my home for pay the fuel :o

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 18:56
in such economic time i will sell my girlfriend for a 458 italia,and i will sell my home for pay the fuel :o

They are absolutely stunning beasts. The 430 was a great car and this is 100X better. Simply the best driving you could imagine, then lots more.

Dude27
25-10-2011, 18:56
and the insurance, and the fact that every part would cost you a little car....

Dude27
25-10-2011, 18:58
It's why we should make CARS the best simulator possible... so even if you don't have the money, you can have a little taste of these awesome (but so elitist) cars.

Stefano Schivari
25-10-2011, 19:03
i drove a lamborghini murcielago at mugello 3 laps (it was a sort of contest)i was too scary so i go not so fast but it's still the best sensation of my live.

ZariL
25-10-2011, 19:03
I could say different things in Italian, but the language barrier will not let me: then I give my opinion, go on a go kart track and rent a kart racing for a couple of hours and you will receive all the feedback necessary to carry on CARS.

Dude27
25-10-2011, 19:07
Don't worry, I already did it... race kart (not go-kart): AMAZING feeling...

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 19:14
I could say different things in Italian, but the language barrier will not let me: then I give my opinion, go on a go kart track and rent a kart racing for a couple of hours and you will receive all the feedback necessary to carry on CARS.

We also do this regularly chaps. We've got a couple of kart stars in the team. Suzy and Tim currently battling it out for top honours :)

ZariL
25-10-2011, 19:16
Don't worry, I already did it... race kart (not go-kart): AMAZING feeling...
Not you :D but SMS on kart: Tony kart, Birel, CRG, Paroli, Sodi, PCR, Gillard, Arrow, TM, Pavesi .......

OK

Rcollins
25-10-2011, 20:01
I still have build 73 showing up way?

Vittorio Rapa
25-10-2011, 20:21
We also do this regularly chaps. We've got a couple of kart stars in the team. Suzy and Tim currently battling it out for top honours :)

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ian Bell
25-10-2011, 20:22
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Fix your rep and I'll edit ;)

Vittorio Rapa
25-10-2011, 20:23
I still have build 73 showing up way?

Build 73 is the most rececent one for "Junior" members.

Captain Crunch
27-10-2011, 13:57
So is it by user sign on date or a specified date of each month when we get updates?

Thomas Einoeder
27-10-2011, 14:03
Every first Friday of each month for Junior members ---> next build for you: Friday, November 4th

Stuart Hunt
28-10-2011, 11:53
I'll vouch for that. You know you're in trouble on a karting day out when one of your colleagues brings along their own overalls and helmet. If only Tim had brought his toolkit for the kart too ;)

Graine de Pilote
28-10-2011, 12:10
I think there is some very "interesting stories" behind these few posts exchange by the dev team...

Larry Steward
28-10-2011, 14:08
I just joined as a Junior and downloaded build 73 last night. I get this error message - d3dx9_43.dll missing unable to launch. I re-installed but still the same. I have since upgraded to Team Member and will download build 78. Will that solve the problem or is there something else I need to install? Thanks.

Rob Prange
28-10-2011, 14:08
I just joined as a Junior and downloaded build 73 last night. I get this error message - d3dx9_43.dll missing unable to launch. I re-installed but still the same. I have since upgraded to Team Member and will download build 78. Will that solve the problem or is there something else I need to install? Thanks.

You need to reinstall DirectX, that will solve the issue :)