PDA

View Full Version : Watch The Dynamic Clouds in Project CARS

Rob Prange
18-07-2012, 01:28
Our talented member Ben Buja has made a great time lapse video of the breathtaking new dynamic clouds in Project CARS.

Make sure to follow the link below to watch the video!

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/watch-the-dynamic-clouds-in-project-cars/

c172fccc
18-07-2012, 01:40
I can't wait till friday to try this out! :a37:

Tommy T
18-07-2012, 01:44
Quoted form under the video:

Project CARS members can now experience a first pass of the new feature in the current build as the system will be much more refined in the weeks to come. But beware, don’t get too distracted by the eye candy in the sky and make sure to keep an eye on the road!

I'm a member, but cant try it till Friday? Friday works for me. Looks great.

booterboy
18-07-2012, 01:46
I can't wait till friday to try this out! :a37:
Considering taking my 1st sick day in 3 years this Friday and when pitcrews and marshals arrive I will be taking my 2nd.
Will have to wait till day after muliplayer is implented as I would prefer not to get fired.

Alejandro Gorgal
18-07-2012, 01:46
It's just nuts guys, you are all crazy :D

WAYNEGR
18-07-2012, 02:23
Several months ago, I asked, could we have moving clouds, now we have moving clouds, absolutely fantastic, you’re all graphic and physic Gods SMS.

Have not stopped playing today, and the clouds make one hell of a difference.

Wayne

Des Harberger
18-07-2012, 06:34
that is awesome work.'

Westie07
18-07-2012, 07:56
That looks simply amazing :a02:

Gopher04
18-07-2012, 08:03
Looks simply stunning...:a31:

ACSoft
18-07-2012, 08:16
Incredible ! Fantastic !

Congratulations dev teams !

PS: I think it was a wise decision for me, to not wait more starting to build a new powerful PC, such beautiful 3d dynamic cloulds shoud have probably some cost on the fps !!!

fredo76
18-07-2012, 08:22
Awesome work. Stunning. With every day this thing gets more and more a total winner. Keep it up guys :)

Jiri Kaspar
18-07-2012, 09:17
good look

Heath
18-07-2012, 09:21
It just gets better and better. Nothing will touch this game for years. Great work team. Keep up the fantastic effort......bring on Friday.

Sponts
18-07-2012, 09:27
I like how I have been here since the beginning and by now I should be fully used to the amazing features SMS is capable to bring on....yet every time I see a new feature such as this I am still as much amazed like was when I saw the very first screenshots of pCARS.

Num Wistbacka
18-07-2012, 15:42
Looks awesome. Almost realistic. ^^ This is a feature that, sadly, no one really will have time to focus enough on, because as the text below the video says: We need to keep our eyes on the road instead of the sky. But nevertheless, it's amazing. Work very well done!!!! This game is so going to crush all competition out there.

When is this build released to us? Some said Friday, but I haven't gotten any confirmation on that yet.

/Num

Tiago Fortuna
18-07-2012, 16:35
I'm not sure about not looking at the sky... I remember that I've found a "hole" at BelgianForest because I was admiring the trees and completely forgot about the chicane...:a03:

Christopher Dorn
18-07-2012, 22:58
Can clouds be too good looking? I keep crashing due to being distracted.

Also lol at the comments on youtube for the video, its either people liking the clouds or a full on pointless argument about WII U hardware power and PC vs consoles debate.

Daniel Ferbus
19-07-2012, 06:47
First of all this is no criticism! The video and the cloud system are really just amazing and as I've pointed out in another thread already, they are for me the best graphical improvement ever.

BUT... there is a question I have, even though I know the cloud system is not finished. Real clouds are not just moving, they are transforming themselves (changing their appearance) while doing so. I hope you know what I mean. Will this be in the final version of the cloud system?

Num Wistbacka
19-07-2012, 07:21
First of all this is no criticism! The video and the cloud system are really just amazing and as I've pointed out in another thread already, they are for me the best graphical improvement ever.

BUT... there is a question I have, even though I know the cloud system is not finished. Real clouds are not just moving, they are transforming themselves (changing their appearance) while doing so. I hope you know what I mean. Will this be in the final version of the cloud system?

Guys, stop demanding so much from unnessessary details. For every single added advanced feature, the demand from computer-power goes up. My PC is already strugeling with the current graphics. Races goes by so fast that you won't notice the change in cloud formation.

As long they make random-generated clouds and that they follow the wind, then there's really no point in having them transforming and changing form. Currently I think they should focus on basic physics and car handeling,and car damage animations.

Daniel Ferbus
19-07-2012, 07:53
I wasn't demanding anything. It was just a question. And seriously, if your computer is too slow, then you still have the possibility to turn down the detail level. As you've probably noticed, the majority of the forum users have kind of high end systems, so why shouldn't the game benefit from this power?

And what isn't necessary and what is, isn't your decision and it's not holding me back from asking a simple and legitimate question.

ACSoft
19-07-2012, 07:54
Daniel, I have a technical explanation why, what you ask, will most probably never occur.

All clouds you can see in this sky are textures (an image, if you prefer). To obtain a natural transformation, would require to use instead an animation with multiple images ! Something which would cost much to much in every aspects (resources, computing, development). As say num better to invest this power and time to more important stuffs in the game !

MS Flight Simulator tried to "cheat" this, by making the cloud rotating on itself, but to my view, the result was (and still is) worst !

E.K.
19-07-2012, 08:01
Guys, stop demanding so much from unnessessary details. For every single added advanced feature, the demand from computer-power goes up. My PC is already strugeling with the current graphics. Races goes by so fast that you won't notice the change in cloud formation.

As long they make random-generated clouds and that they follow the wind, then there's really no point in having them transforming and changing form. Currently I think they should focus on basic physics and car handeling,and car damage animations.
I agree with Daniel. He wasn't demanding but suggesting. Additionally, physics/car handling isn't done by the arts team afaik. No need to discuss on which parts SMS should focus on. They know better than anyone else what is necessary and what is only second priority.

Daniel Ferbus
19-07-2012, 08:01
Thanks ACSoft. The MS Flight Simulator indeed was the reason why I was asking about this feature. I didn't know about the technical background in the game. The clouds in pCARS so far, looked just kind of similar to the ones in FSX. So I thought it might be kind of easy to make them "more real" in terms of this transformation thing I was asking about. Actually it's nothing I really need or think to be needed, it was just a question/proposal.

Remco Van Dijk
19-07-2012, 08:24
Clouds shape-changing would be great, but indeed performance impact should be top priority with that. If it would be just blending different pre-define textures, would that have a low performance impact?

Num Wistbacka
19-07-2012, 09:08
I wasn't demanding anything. It was just a question. And seriously, if your computer is too slow, then you still have the possibility to turn down the detail level. As you've probably noticed, the majority of the forum users have kind of high end systems, so why shouldn't the game benefit from this power?

And what isn't necessary and what is, isn't your decision and it's not holding me back from asking a simple and legitimate question.

I'm sorry if I offended you. My comment wasn't referring to you alone (which I poorly indicated with a "guys" in the beginning). This is a developers/suggestion-forum; OF COURSE you should give suggestions and ask about new features. But I just wanted to point out that there's no use in raising the CPU/GPU-demand due to some esstetic VFX that occurs in an area which isn't in any focus when racing. If we want to turn up the processing needs, then put it into physics instead of graphics. The graphic in this game is already (in Pre-Alpha) waaaay better than any car game/sim I've ever seen (apart from perhaps Forza 5).

Once again, I'm sorry for being rude and I hope we can go on without any more "fights". :P

BTW: About 'what's necessary or not": Let me ask you this: Will the driver experience (of racing and car-feel) be reduced due to the lack of transforming clouds? If yes, then it's necessary. But I feel that the majority of racers won't see it as a necessary detail. You follow how i reason? =)

Joeri Blootacker
19-07-2012, 09:43
my 2 cents : the current clouds look absolutely STUNNING.....
not sure about transforming clouds. (how will this happen with changeable weather ? - is it a "dry" cloud image that in realtime gets changed to a "wet" cloud now ? )

don't think a real transforming cloud is a option. i believe it would be too much CPU/GPU consuming. if not, and if the time and resources to do it are there, i would say, go for it, but if not, i think the way they are right now already , and with the further planned improvements they will be the best in the simracing scene. (look at the movie, just stunning !)

2 thumbs up from me :)

Daniel Ferbus
19-07-2012, 17:52
I've got another question relating to the clouds/lightning.

Will we see cloud rays?

To explain what I mean...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/2487060788_ba86c1cb44.jpg

http://www.personaltouchphotography.com/portfolio/misc_wallpaper/cloud_ray_large.jpg

Oliver Rademacher
19-07-2012, 17:55
amazing work dudes!!!

Big Ron
19-07-2012, 18:41
I've got another question relating to the clouds/lightning.

Will we see cloud rays?

Yes, just watch the task list in the thread.

Daniel Ferbus
19-07-2012, 18:42
Yes, just watch the task list in the thread.
Thanks. It's not so easy to follow all the threads about the topics I'm interested in...

Big Ron
19-07-2012, 18:44
First post here. (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?2286-Dev-TimeCycle-And-Weather-System&p=44972&viewfull=1#post44972)

Barnestah
19-07-2012, 19:01
Awesome looking clouds guys great work.. Friday cant come soon enough. :)

FSX clouds were not great, tho if you got the REX weather engine that improved the clouds no end.

http://www.youtube.com/user/timest999

Oliver Rademacher
20-07-2012, 16:40
Rex rulezzz^^

Alain Jimeno
20-07-2012, 17:09
Well, IMHO the current cloud system fits perfectly to a racing sim. If you ask me, there's no need to sacrifice further performance for hyper-realistic clouds.

This time the crew really impressed me (and when didn't they? xD).

50inchDLP
21-07-2012, 08:57
This is just amazing! When will the lower level member be able to try this out? I wish i had the money to become a full member! I have build 249 and been playing non-stop since i got it.

Num Wistbacka
21-07-2012, 10:43
This is just amazing! When will the lower level member be able to try this out? I wish i had the money to become a full member! I have build 249 and been playing non-stop since i got it.

I don't know when it will come out for junior class, but you've spend 10 dollars already on the junior class. Just another 15 dollars and you will be a team member and you'll gain access to weekly builds. Just a suggestion.

MatthiasZobl93
21-07-2012, 10:59
The Game is so good
And the Clouds are just awesome

Thomas Einoeder
21-07-2012, 14:49
When will the lower level member be able to try this out?
August the 3rd for the Junior members.