PDA

View Full Version : Win A Thrustmaster T500 RS With Project CARS

Pages : [1] 2

Rob Prange
01-06-2012, 15:50
Today's Junior build comes with a very special hot lap competition in cooperation with Thrustmaster!

The member that puts down the quickest Sakitto Grand Prix lap with the Palmer Jaguar JP-LM will walk away with a brand new Thrustmaster T500 RS wheel + TH8 RS Shifter!

For more info on the competition, please check out the frontpage story:

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/win-a-thrustmaster-t500-rs-with-project-cars-2/

To discuss the event, you can check out the weekly competition topic here:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?6675-Hotlap-Event-Week-22-23-%28Build-226-%29-Thrustmaster-Hot-Lap-Competition

Umer Ahmad
01-06-2012, 16:02
can we DQ ibby, Mark vdm, Fabian, and Mikko? these guys are awesome

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 16:10
I really don't think it will be me but great idea promotional for Thrustmaster and pCARS! +1 to this

Simon Kaminski
01-06-2012, 16:30
TBH I have absolutely no chance but nice price :)

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 16:33
If it draws in considerable new membership it's worth it IMO. Beware I spread the word pretty heavily on facebook even to a couple of iRacing Champions.

hughesy
01-06-2012, 16:34
I will win.....................not, good event though.

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 16:37
I spread the word to Gregger Huttu it is they that should worry.

Tom Curtis
01-06-2012, 16:44
I spread the word to Gregger Huttu it is they that should worry.

Dom Duhan would beat him :D

steve30x
01-06-2012, 16:46
Nice prize but I dont have a prayer. I'm usually high up the midfield.

Ian Bell
01-06-2012, 16:47
Nice prize but I dont have a prayer. I'm usually high up the midfield.

We'll vary the criteria in interesting ways for future prizes. It's only fair that everyone has a chance.

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 16:48
+1 on this Ian

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 16:50
Just think thou if he entered that would draw the masses trying to beat him.

Dom Duhan would beat him :D

Benjamin Fischer
01-06-2012, 16:54
We'll vary the criteria in interesting ways for future prizes. It's only fair that everyone has a chance.

Slowest Lap? Longest time on two wheels? Smash as many destructible items as possible? Looking forward to that :a04:

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 16:56
Longest Jump on Azure Coast?

fatClyde
01-06-2012, 16:59

Good idea. Currently the best drivers with the best kit will win. As if they need another set of top quality wheels and pedals :p. Us poor gits with Xbox controllers don't stand a chance !

Pugamall
01-06-2012, 17:07
For me its more, most gravel and grass collected in intakes, lol

59m2z
01-06-2012, 17:09

Careful you will start sounding like Nick Clegg soon.

Life isn't fair.

Tom Curtis
01-06-2012, 17:10
Careful you will start sounding like Nick Clegg soon.

Life isn't fair.
Comparing you to Nick Clegg Ian.... Instaban.... :a02: :D

Oliver Rademacher
01-06-2012, 17:12
For me its more, most gravel and grass collected in intakes, lol

...also 4 me...why the best win a wheel he obviously dont need :a40:
But really nice gift...but i think im far far away from that^^ (5secs+)

Manuel Pauli
01-06-2012, 17:19
I can confirm that this is one of the best sets out there. :a31:

Ian Bell
01-06-2012, 17:24
Comparing you to Nick Clegg Ian.... Instaban.... :a02: :D

Nick rocks!

Ian Bell
01-06-2012, 17:26
Seriously though, I think one of the best systems is to pick a driver at random (using a number generator) from all those who have set a laptime. Not very competitive but it serves our purposes.

Andy Garton
01-06-2012, 17:26
On a serious note ideas for future competitions would be appreciated, to be honest we're struggling to come up with anything but hot laps so far. As features like career, MP etc come in it will get easier, but what can we do in the mean time? One idea I had was a "spot the ball" type competition where we hide something in a track (tin of custard, nude portrait of Ian, etc), the winner being the first person to post a screenshot of it. A bit silly perhaps, but...

Dimahoo
01-06-2012, 17:28
What about most number of laps within a time?

Benjamin Fischer
01-06-2012, 17:28
nude portrait of Ian

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_-BIJwUCkrM/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABU/LYceGzwLbYQ/photo.jpg

:a26:

Ian Bell
01-06-2012, 17:30
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_-BIJwUCkrM/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABU/LYceGzwLbYQ/photo.jpg

:a26:

You know that meme means 'I like it' Elmo?

Perfectly fine if you do, you're only human.

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 17:33
A nude portrait of Ian I am sure to lose that cause I ain't even gonna look!

FLX81
01-06-2012, 17:34
nude portrait of Ian

Please dont. Nobody [edit: ok, except elmo it seems] will test the build for a whole week! I think most people are still trying to get over that Iannah Montana thing... :a23:

Howzabout reviving the driver duel stuff from Shift 2? Not in live head to head obviously but via time trial?

Simon Kaminski
01-06-2012, 17:35
What about look who entered the Hotlap contest and set a time. And all of this guys have the have chance to win the price because one of them will randomly picked. Maybe cut of peoples with 30 sec off time or so

59m2z
1) Limit the car to the default setup. (This will even up the competition a little bit)

2) Then pick the winner randomly from the drivers who finish in the top 100?

Mike Laskey
Providing this piece of hardware with build 226 so that members can actually read AndyG's message above...

Andrew Clark
If we could advertise Gregger as winning the 1st Prize event that would make a statement.

Seriously though, I think one of the best systems is to pick a driver at random (using a number generator) from all those who have set a laptime. Not very competitive but it serves our purposes.

FLX81
01-06-2012, 17:36
Another idea: Give everybody only a single hotlap to try setting a time.

crowtrobot
Re: Ideas

Going with the idea of a scavenger hunt, perhaps random (and unknown) number of car/track combos. First person to set times on R18 @ Loire, X4 @ Bathurst, FA at notSpa. Get people to experiment with more cars and tracks than ones they might normally lap.

I also think it's a good idea to randomize the prize; the people winning the comps on a regular basis are sure to have good wheels/equipment as-is. What would be good is to get some gamepad users converted!

Andy Garton
Providing this piece of hardware with build 226 so that members can actually read AndyG's message above...

Does it show up small or something? It shows fine here (Mac Safari), but I did paste it from elsewhere so maybe it went pear shaped...

Viktor Kolomiets
01-06-2012, 17:38
What about most number of laps within a time?

Or even better - the one who would get the highest uninterrupted number of clean laps at a car/track combo. Something hard to drive would be best :)

of course someone might just do a sunday drive for an hour or so until the fuel runs out, sort of cheating :)

Viktor Kolomiets

Does it show up small or something? It shows fine here (Mac Safari), but I did paste it from elsewhere so maybe it went pear shaped...

smallish "times new roman" look

59m2z

I think the magnifying glass was a tool for the nude photo of Ian?

Did I misunderstand the post?

FLX81
01-06-2012, 17:39
Oh! Wait a second, why not make a special hotlap contest for people using pads or keyboard only? Prize: A wheel! :D

tjc
01-06-2012, 17:40

Yip... it did... :)

Goran Johansson
I think the fairest solution is the one who is fastest with a keyboard. It's the one who needs the wheel the most.

Benjamin Fischer
You know that meme means 'I like it' Elmo?

Hablo un poco de espanol, but don't worry just kidding. In general I like the "spot the ball(s)" idea

tjc
01-06-2012, 17:41
Seriously though, that`s a pretty neat prize imo... sadly I doubt it`ll be coming my way but I`ll have a damn good try anyway...

FLX81
01-06-2012, 17:41
"spot the ball(s)"

Talk about unfortunate articulation! :a24:

PS: Idea Nr.3 - A time trial/race where you start at the back and you have to win the race. Among those winning, the fastest time counts, shunts, ramming, cutting track etc gets a DQ.

crowtrobot
01-06-2012, 17:42
Oh! Wait a second, why not make a special hotlap contest for people using pads or keyboard only? Prize: A wheel! :D

Keyboard challenge might be amusing. If there was some way to utilize new ghost-code to keep track of slides and whatnot, there could be some sort of auto-cross or trick-driving on the test track.

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 17:43
Well thrustmaster jumped on board Thomas is sure to follow since he is pretty good about stuff like this.

Mickael Bertani
01-06-2012, 17:46
The best time with default setup win a Wheel too, that will be good !

Oliver Rademacher
01-06-2012, 17:46
...well - so much talking about a wheel...
The easiest way - just send it to me, and of course i could drive the best time *ggg*

Ian Bell
01-06-2012, 17:50
I think the magnifying glass was a tool for the nude photo of Ian?

Did I misunderstand the post?

busted :(

Pugamall
01-06-2012, 17:53
Hey its only a bit of fun, I will certainly give it a few goes, and fully expect to be a good 5 seconds off the top pace,
But you never know, you might while trying, have that 1 lap where everything falls into place, and for one lap only you have the sprit of Senna with you and set a time you never thought you could and get near the top.

Then spend the rest of the day cussing and wondering how you did it as you are once again miles away

Emile
01-06-2012, 17:55
Winner could be picked randomly if he is qualified, let's say using the 107% F1 rule for example ?

Tiago Fortuna
01-06-2012, 17:56
Talk about unfortunate articulation! :a24:

PS: Idea Nr.3 - A time trial/race where you start at the back and you have to win the race. Among those winning, the fastest time counts, shunts, ramming, cutting track etc gets a DQ.

The training from past games AI should prove well spent in this case. I'm in. Nice idea mate.

speed1
01-06-2012, 17:57
Or we make it as at the horse race and allow the AI to drive :) With such a crazy ai, it would even authentic :)

Remco Van Dijk
01-06-2012, 18:19
Idea:
The person setting the same time (or closest) as the undisclosed time set by on of the SMS devs wins

FLX81
01-06-2012, 18:24
I personally would prefer if winning the competition would have to do something with showing skills and not just pure luck, at least a little bit.

speed1
01-06-2012, 18:25
How about a limited drive time or as FLX81 mentioned already, limited round's ?

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 18:27
Ray Alfalla Is thinking about getting in.

sagedavid
01-06-2012, 18:28
Idea:
The person setting the same time (or closest) as the undisclosed time set by on of the SMS devs wins

Like in the TV game, "the price is right" (?) : if you do less, you lose :) ?

TheDoctor46
01-06-2012, 18:37
Viktor Kolomiets still in the lead :a26: nice competition... but with default setup, it whould be easier for the non-race engineers among us ;)

marcosanta8
01-06-2012, 18:41
Viktor Kolomiets still in the lead :a26:
I have already beaten his time, though it is not on the leaderboard because I used build 221. Don't worry, still a loooong way to go, I'm sure somebody is going to end up doing like 1:53 or so

TheDoctor46
01-06-2012, 18:43
I have already beaten his time, though it is not on the leaderboard because I used build 221. Don't worry, still a loooong way to go, I'm sure somebody is going to end up doing like 1:53 or so

Ohh damn...how could u?? :p

FLX81
01-06-2012, 18:46
I just saw that in the last competition with the R500 2 out of the top 10, including the winner, were using ABS, traction and stability control. Ja, call me a pedant if you will, but I think those should not be allowed in hotlap events if the real cars dont have em.

marcosanta8
01-06-2012, 18:50
I just saw that in the last competition with the R500 2 out of the top 10, including the winner, were using ABS, traction and stability control. Ja, call me a pedant if you will, but I think those should not be allowed in hotlap events if the real cars dont have em.
Couldn't agree more, but I think in this case they are not going to make such a great difference because the Palmer Jaguar is an easier car to drive than the R500, for example, you don't really need TC on this car if you are just a tiny bit careful with the throttle.

Reaper 392
01-06-2012, 18:52
On a serious note ideas for future competitions would be appreciated, to be honest we're struggling to come up with anything but hot laps so far. As features like career, MP etc come in it will get easier, but what can we do in the mean time? One idea I had was a "spot the ball" type competition where we hide something in a track (tin of custard, nude portrait of Ian, etc), the winner being the first person to post a screenshot of it. A bit silly perhaps, but...

as long as you could make it fair for those with garbage internet connections that take all day to download the build i'm up for something like this.

Mikko Korkiakoski
01-06-2012, 18:54

Well I wouldn't like that very much and I don't think the rest of those guys would either. :D

gniewko
01-06-2012, 19:06
I think the winner is already satisfied with his gear as he does such a good laptime :) ... so does not need a Thrustmaster 500 and the shifter ...

Viktor Kolomiets
01-06-2012, 19:07
Viktor Kolomiets still in the lead :a26:

I predict 1:54.X, with this build being available to Juniors there will be more entries than usual, esp considering such a great prize (wouldn't mind having it myself tbh)

Not surprisingly though, with only 21 players who could put in a lap time thus far, I am enjoying my time in #1 spot for longer than I expected, a couple of hours, it pleases me :D, until Mikko and others get in
End of the week I don't think I'll even be even in top 50, as soon as most people finish downloading it, there's no chance for averagely quick guys like me even though I know i have another 6-8 tens in me still (was half a second up on my PB but lost the car in final chicane)

Guilherme Cramer
01-06-2012, 19:09
Oh I wish this would have been fixed setups.

RacingTopsy
01-06-2012, 19:11

I was wondering if there's a glitch when you use stability & traction control in combination with AI control.. I noticed that if you switch to AI control you get times very close to those of the top 1 or 2 drivers ^^ Only a thought :P (i do see that those times are very possible though ;) )

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 19:16
Their servers are moaning at the moment I have a good connection but can't fight traffic.

as long as you could make it fair for those with garbage internet connections that take all day to download the build i'm up for something like this.

Isopo Cristian
01-06-2012, 19:21
wow lets race!!! :)

Oliver Rademacher
01-06-2012, 19:30

HÄ - till now it where allowed ??? Ga* behaviour...

Kostman22
01-06-2012, 20:41
how i wish i could win but know i will not :( i'll try anyways btw i see the popularity is going up with the sponsors congrats!!!

Micas
01-06-2012, 20:47
We had actually suggested a different method than a hotlap in the SM forum prior to the public announcement. What we thought would be fair is a 20 lap race against the AI (unchangeable parameters), with the driver starting in last. The fastest 20 lap time with no invalid laps wins. Unfortunately it couldn't be done for this competition.

My argument was that it's getting annoying that aliens with a 5 post count are winning the prizes. Extending the race and adding in a variable like the AI would allow the 99.9% of us that aren't aliens a chance. It might be a small chance, but still.. it would be worth giving it a shot.

The idea could be extended as new features, such as pit stops, get added to the game. Eventually, we could have a cool prize for a full blown simulated event with a full race length. Maybe something with the online feature could be done for other prizes. That would be exceptionally fun.

ibby
01-06-2012, 21:11
We had actually suggested a different method than a hotlap in the SM forum prior to the public announcement. What we thought would be fair is a 20 lap race against the AI (unchangeable parameters), with the driver starting in last. The fastest 20 lap time with no invalid laps wins. Unfortunately it couldn't be done for this competition.

My argument was that it's getting annoying that aliens with a 5 post count are winning the prizes. Extending the race and adding in a variable like the AI would allow the 99.9% of us that aren't aliens a chance. It might be a small chance, but still.. it would be worth giving it a shot.

The idea could be extended as new features, such as pit stops, get added to the game. Eventually, we could have a cool prize for a full blown simulated event with a full race length. Maybe something with the online feature could be done for other prizes. That would be exceptionally fun.

This would've been really frustrating for a lot of people. It's basically getting lucky at the startcrash of the AI and then catching up what you've lost because of it.
Everybody would've just ranted about the AI. Way too WIP for a real competition. ( btw, the same fast people would've won ;) )

Dan Blamey
01-06-2012, 21:11
I like the idea of a 'secret' SMS time to try and match (as long as it's pretty quick), but how about make it on one track that is also secret... All you know is the car that was used, but it could be on any of the tracks.

That'll get people trying out all the tracks, and as long as you can set a reasonably fast time (i.e. top 100) you have a chance of winning :)

I.e. the car is the Caper road car and the track is Wisconson Raceway, with a time of 2:08:907.

All we know is that the car is the Caper road car

The time set will be with a stock tune, so everyone has a chance to match it. You can match the time with a tuned car though.

Could even be a selection of 10 tracks or something.

Dan Blamey
01-06-2012, 21:16
Or you could have a 'photomode' challenge. We're given the track and car to use and must take the best picture we can. Doesn't mean the 'best graphics' shot will win, but the most artistic shot that shows off the game, winner chosen by SMS or most 'likes.'

Micas
01-06-2012, 22:25
This would've been really frustrating for a lot of people. It's basically getting lucky at the startcrash of the AI and then catching up what you've lost because of it.
Everybody would've just ranted about the AI. Way too WIP for a real competition. ( btw, the same fast people would've won ;) )

Dealing with the WIP AI would be part of the challenge... and I think there would be more chance for non-aliens to win than you would think.

It's either that, or just have a random drawing... or just stop giving away prizes. It's not particularly fun when the vast majority of the WMD members know they have no chance.

Andrew Clark
01-06-2012, 22:33
I think the first one for the most part is to promote new membership so as for the aliens BRING EM ON!!!!

Neil Hopwood
01-06-2012, 22:34
I like the idea of using the AI so, How about:

Highest number of of clean overtakes in a set time/laps

Even doing the hotlap , but rather than it automatically going to the winner maybe a weighted drawing for everyone. Set a default time, everyone gets one entry for each second below that time them post. Theres still an incentive to go as fast as possible, but it doesn't mean it automatically goes to the faster person.

Panzer91
01-06-2012, 22:39
How about quickest to drive in reverse round a track? maybe I'll have a chance of winning

Ade McCordick
01-06-2012, 22:42
Competition idea: Guess the fastest time.

4c65
01-06-2012, 23:09
Damn I wish I had a chance at winning the prize, my G25 is somehow still running after some glueing had to be done inside the case. Getting below 1:55 seems so hard.

richardjackett
01-06-2012, 23:14
Ideas to spread the love a bit more, while still needing some effort/talent (and without needing extra code)

1) The "Just Made It" Prize - the last person within 107% of the pole time wins

2) The "Beat the Dev" Prize - beat a given developer's PB to get into the random draw

3) The "Oily Rag" Prize - best time set on 3/4 of a lap's worth of gas (is this possible to enforce?)

4) The "Grinder" Prize - the person with the smallest time span over their top 5 posted PBs (this encourages people to drive properly and right at their limit where their improvement is smallest - where that limit is in relation to others doesn't matter)

Alain Jimeno
01-06-2012, 23:19
wow... too bad I have NO chances at all... but we will try!!! xD

ibby
01-06-2012, 23:25
4) The "Grinder" Prize - the person with the smallest time span over their top 5 posted PBs (this encourages people to drive properly and right at their limit where their improvement is smallest - where that limit is in relation to others doesn't matter)

I like that alot.

Umer Ahmad
02-06-2012, 00:00
I like the idea of setting some generally achievable metric (beat Andy's time) and then randomly selecting the winner among that group.

Laffer
02-06-2012, 00:25
1) Limit the car to the default setup. (This will even up the competition a little bit)

2) Then pick the winner randomly from the drivers who finish in the top 100?

I like the above ideas, also no driving aids should be allowed if it makes laptimes faster.
Another idea is to give number of "lottery tickets" depending on your ranking so for example.
#1 = 500
#2 = 400
#3 = 300
#4 = 200
#5 = 100
#100 = 1

This way the fastest guy would still have the best chance of winning but the guy finishing 100th could still win if he would get lucky?

Kai Lochbaum
02-06-2012, 00:38
I predict 1:54.X, with this build being available to Juniors there will be more entries than usual, esp considering such a great prize (wouldn't mind having it myself tbh)

Not surprisingly though, with only 21 players who could put in a lap time thus far, I am enjoying my time in #1 spot for longer than I expected, a couple of hours, it pleases me :D, until Mikko and others get in
End of the week I don't think I'll even be even in top 50, as soon as most people finish downloading it, there's no chance for averagely quick guys like me even though I know i have another 6-8 tens in me still (was half a second up on my PB but lost the car in final chicane)The leader is already at 1:53.1 ... So probably a 1:52? ;-)

btw: how do i remove the wheel turning right when braking? :(

Andrew Clark
02-06-2012, 00:49
My shifter is going from 3rd to 5th and 2nd to 4th Frustrating I may actually set a lap time but I doubt it will be any good.

GrizzleBoy
02-06-2012, 00:56
I think this kind of thing should have a fixed setup rule.

Matthew Hardwick
02-06-2012, 01:05
People who need a wheel the most are ones stuck with keyboards/gamepads, and they don't have a chance in hell. Hell neither do I with my G27, closest I've ever been to #1 on a leaderboard was about 5 seconds behind.
So in my opinion, random is the way.

Set a minimum time to beat to qualify, and everyone above that has a chance. That way we have to put some effort in at least.

Ambolee
02-06-2012, 02:06
Set a minimum time to beat to qualify, and everyone above that has a chance. That way we have to put some effort in at least.

I like the 107% rule suggested earlier.

Michael Kondos
02-06-2012, 02:21
Well a person with a wheel already is obviously going to win this because us gamepad boys havn't got the smoothness. :'(

DavisG
02-06-2012, 02:38
Nice idea and GREAT prize BUT, unfortunately the person who wins this will already have a great wheel and pedal set-up.

RacingTopsy
02-06-2012, 03:06
Umm, if now someone wins a real racing event, chances are pretty big that he has had a podium/a trophy already once before.
And I doubt that so many of his competitors would think it's unfair. ;)

Andrew Clark
02-06-2012, 03:09
In that case I will buy it from them. :D

Nice idea and GREAT prize BUT, unfortunately the person who wins this will already have a great wheel and pedal set-up.

Andrew Clark
02-06-2012, 03:12
I already put the bug in Thomas J's ear from Fanatec to jump on board with a Prize for future events and as it sounds won't just be fastest lap so everyone will have a chance but agree the first one should be a fast lap competition and one I know I will not win.

Well a person with a wheel already is obviously going to win this because us gamepad boys havn't got the smoothness. :'(

DCLXVI
02-06-2012, 08:27
The leader is already at 1:53.1 ... So probably a 1:52? ;-)

I'm sure we'll see 1:51 or maybe 1:50. After all there is something to win so some will want to win by any means possible.

I like the idea of giving the prize to one that equals a Dev's time as it as been mentionned before.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
http://belzeb59.free.fr/images/images/time.jpg
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Barmyllama
02-06-2012, 09:14
How about the top 10% of the times set then go into a random draw for the prize.

Viktor Kolomiets
02-06-2012, 09:24

End of the week I don't think I'll even be even in top 50, as soon as most people finish downloading it, there's no chance for averagely quick guys like me even though I know i have another 6-8 tens in me still (was half a second up on my PB but lost the car in final chicane)The leader is already at 1:53.1 ... So probably a 1:52? ;-)

btw: how do i remove the wheel turning right when braking? :(
Well i was so much off with my 1.54.x prediction, i just feel miserable now, lol, being 3.7 seconds off best time in this car is really discouraging/depressing and i should not have said I belong to "averagely quick" group, just average :p

You can try and reduce the pulling effect (I don't quite notice it actually now. not to say it's not there) by playing with the tyre force parameter. at 75 i don't feel much (or simply learned to ignore it for now)

jo-drive
02-06-2012, 09:28
hello, I think for this chalenge would have required, for all a fixed setup, view, and aids, the same for all
admitted to thank you for a great job fantastic games
(es that could be a driver has to cheat to win the steering wheel on cars, like iRacing?) view a video on the forum would be unfair to his PCARS

Micas
02-06-2012, 09:44
It's not possible to change the rules once the contest has been started, but we certainly can suggest a different type of contest for the next time SMS has a prize to give away.

Gopher04
02-06-2012, 09:53

Totally agree with this..also it would be nice if the car would actually drive in a straight line and not wonder to the right.

Mark Silcock
02-06-2012, 10:11
They would still be 2+ seconds quicker so stop whining! :a09::p

Viktor Kolomiets
02-06-2012, 10:14

Please everyone - WHEN it will be technically possible, we will probably do it (even though as many said it won't help most anyway, except put their mind at rest). For now we need ideas how to do it with current tech

Jiri Kaspar
02-06-2012, 10:16
Better Pc can make better time lol stupid event

speed1
02-06-2012, 10:30
With the current system there is no real possibility to be fair. See it as fun and drive. ;)

Jiri Kaspar
02-06-2012, 10:34
With the current system there is no real possibility to be fair. See it as fun and drive. ;)

yes it is only possibility

Dalhil
02-06-2012, 10:50
Oh I wish this would have been fixed setups.

Please everyone - WHEN it will be technically possible, we will probably do it (even though as many said it won't help most anyway, except put their mind at rest). For now we need ideas how to do it with current tech

ok, when and if it will be technically possible i think it would be nice to have:

2 identical prizes, one for aids drivers and one for no aids drivers (this will satisfie both)

absolutely fixed setup

introduce a variable in the last two days of the contest (date race & weather if available, to change track conditions), with new fixed setup for these new conditions and re-start to count valid time laps from there. Why? This way, until the "conditions' switch" people can train car and track they didn't know, and in the last 2 days everyone start a new challenge being confident in car and track at least.

just my 2 cents ;)

FLX81
02-06-2012, 10:57
Another fun idea might be night hotlapping in a car with no headlights! :a21:

Michael Pleym
02-06-2012, 11:16
Great promo. Great thinking.

I'll be back when it's Andy's CSW that's the prize though. :a37:

Catflavor
02-06-2012, 11:55
Awesome to see such a great prize as an incentive :) But as many have said: us normal folks will have a blast trying to catch the aliens, but it's true, the prize is unattainable for 9x% of entrants.

I assume the idea behind it is to bring more people into the project and generate more funds, as much as it is for the benefit of folks who are already involved. So, competitions which run the whole week are in the interests of SMS and the project. If someone reads the competition announcement on a gaming site 3 days into the competition, decides they love the idea of the project and finds out they can sign up and still enter this week's competition, that's good. If they discover someone won it 45 minutes after the competition opened, that's bad and they won't join.

It would be interesting to run a competition which allows any entrant who sets a time to win, publicise it well and see if there was a direct effect on new member numbers (maybe have a tick box on the sign up page saying "I'm signing up because I saw the competition"). I suspect a weekly competition with a decent prize could be great for fund generation, but the fact that it's trackable means it can be easily justified (or not!) :)

If it has a positive effect, it might be worth having a decent prize every week which can be won by anyone who enters. I respect the notion that some form of skill should be involved, but if we're talking about generating more funds there must be a chance for anyone to win. The idea of an improved chance for the better times is interesting, though the weighting probably shouldn't be too heavy and there's always the prestige of topping the leaderboards.

The concept of the random pick or slightly sillier competitions is cool, though anything which is "first person to find/do/screenshot xyz" will favour those who can download the patch quickest and jump on their machine first. Some of the others would be open to exploits too: 5 fastest laps in tightest bunch...drive a 3 min lap, wait at the start finish line, use the outside camera to nudge up to the start/finish line, hit the throttle at the beep of 3:30...something like that.

Jiri Kaspar
02-06-2012, 13:03
must say it again rofl wtf loool car in this event = arcade shit

Tom Servo
02-06-2012, 13:30
Well, that took longer than anticipated.

--edit: As far as a "more fair" competition goes, another way to do this is to draw a winner, and the rank defines how much tickets a player has. Either some point distribution over the first 50, or some inverse exponential algorithm to distribute over the whole roster.

Andrew Clark
02-06-2012, 13:36
These types of posts may get you excluded from the next event lighten up take a chill pill

Ryzza5
02-06-2012, 14:00
Nice idea but while I can get ont he podium on some leaderboards I'm usually way off the pace on the official events. If I wasn't already a pCARS member this competition wouldn't be an enticing factor simply because one week would barely be enough to learn/master a new sim let alone beat everyone else who has been playing for months now (plus I know I'm not that great). :)

Default setups and random top xx% draw would be better for next time. Advised InsideSimRacing about the competition so hopefully you get a bit of press.

Remco Van Dijk
02-06-2012, 14:16
I think you mistook this forum for YouTube? :a05:

Kobus Maree
02-06-2012, 14:26
I fail to understand some posters dreams about default setup being an equalizing factor - and needed for a "fair" weekly event.

In previous weekly events, trying the winner's setup, got me no nearer to the top spot than 3 or 4 seconds. Granted, I am not a good driver, but only a small part of driving is the setup, the rest is skill.

There is more value imo in penalizing, at a later stage, the use of aids, than to force everybody to use default setups.

Emile
02-06-2012, 14:40
The right setup also make a real difference. Of course there is no perfect setup because it depends on your driving style too, but when you see the gap between the best players, it is very small and the difference between a good custom setup and the default one usually is greater than that.

Adjusting fuel load, gear ratio and downforce is usually very helpful.These are quite easy parameters to deal with. But others, like camber, toe angle, sway bar, tire pressure,... are a lot more difficult to set properly, it really require both time and skills.

Simon Kaminski
02-06-2012, 14:43
I see no motivation to take apart in this competition at all. I know I am very slow compared to the top-times shown here and I have no chance to get even near the top 10 times no matter how hard I try to push...

So please make the next competition different where it's not about the best time only. Maybe randomly choose a winner from top 200 or so..

Isopo Cristian
02-06-2012, 14:51
NON E POSSIBILE!!!!!!!!

1:53.00 is not possible i stop to 1:58.00 whi???????

need the rules ......!

:a22:

Sgt.Seg
02-06-2012, 14:52
no just force the first 25 after 50% of the event is over too upload their setup! I am too bad to make a good one, but just lowering fuel and gear-ratio gives me about 1,5 seconds, and i loaded some setup from another guy postet somewhere while another event was going on, i was about 2 seconds faster with that. So no i am more than 6 seconds slower than the top one... and i don't know where to find some more seconds with my setup...

presha
02-06-2012, 14:54
so I need a racing wheel to win a racing wheel... doh
good luck guys :)

TheDoctor46
02-06-2012, 14:59
so I need a racing wheel to win a racing wheel... doh
good luck guys :)

same mind here^^ may the fastest pad/keyboard driver win the prize ;)

Gethema
02-06-2012, 15:00
Managed to do a straight 1:56.000 with Xbox 360 pad. Aiming for 1:55.xx low, but I guess this is were my pad will fall apart :P (it's already making some strange noises...). Top times are impossible to reach with pad though.

RacingTopsy
02-06-2012, 15:10
So you've drove one already? ^^

btw, i don't quite understand why some of you now are saying "oh, I can't win, I've got no chance, so why should I bother entering?"
how 'bout entering for fun? I enjoy it racing, and it should make no difference if there's a prize (you most probably won't win) or not. Shouldn't change anything actually. I'd feel pleased for the winner. You definately can't say they he didn't deserve it.
^^

oh, and what's the talk about a faster pc = faster times?

Sgt.Seg
02-06-2012, 15:11
with wheel the same... how the f** you are so fast with a pad??

Micas
02-06-2012, 15:19

Horde at the gate!

But seriously folks.. still looking for my big red button with the X in the middle, which sends them off to other forums to commiserate with other members of the Horde that they can't have an opinion on WMD.

Alex Hobbs
02-06-2012, 15:27
Suggestion

As has been said many times here this competition is rather pointless as the fastest people already have high-end hardware, so how about this:

Have a 'heat' system in which different categories of contest all run in parallel. For example:

Best screenshot
Best trailer
Best stunt movie (a la Ken Block)
Fastest lap in certain car/track

These contests would all be voted on individually for 4 different winners (Obviously not the fastest time though)

These 4 winners would then be put into a final 'heat' to decide who gets the prize. The community will vote for 1 person, who they think put in the most effort and had displayed the best feat of talent and skill :)

I think this would make it much fairer personally as everyone could take part in their respective areas of expertise and wouldn't be immediately outclassed by the aliens :D

crowtrobot
02-06-2012, 15:55
@Micas:

Was it discussed in the SM threads that the people with the best hardware are obviously going to win the high-end hardware prize? I don't mean to be too caustic or sound entitled (I know I don't have a shot, and I'm perfectly fine with my G27, I'm using this as a good reason to better learn Suzuka), but it seems pretty obvious that the people that _should_ get the prize, keyboard and pad players, are definitely at a disadvantage. I say "should" in regards to what might help the sim-community grow.

Micas
02-06-2012, 16:16
@Micas:

Was it discussed in the SM threads that the people with the best hardware are obviously going to win the high-end hardware prize?

Actually, no, that wasn't specifically talked about. We all know (and by "we", I mean the WMD members and SMS) that the way that prizes are distributed can be improved. The problem is that the current state of the game is not conducive to a custom setup right now. It would take some coding effort to change that, and the timing wasn't good to do that. SMS wants to get some exposure for Thrustmaster with the track and such, so just having a random drawing of all active accounts wouldn't work.

That's why this particular competition is locked into it's current rule set, but offering suggestions for future prizes (assuming there will be more) is worth while talking about. I thought that making it a 20 lap race against the AI would spice things up a bit and add enough randomness (AI WIP for example) that it wouldn't guarantee an alien win, but that was just one idea.

So.. let me make up a hypothetical scenario.. and I mean completely hypothetical, I'm not implying this is in the works at all because it's not. Let's say that Nvidia wants some exposure and they're offering up a video card as a prize. How do we have a contest that gets Nvidia that exposure, plus makes it possible that those that are on less than optimal rigs have a legitimate shot at winning the prize? That's the difficulty of setting up the contest. We need to make sure the party that is pony-ing up the prize gets what they'd like, and we'd like to make it possible that not-aliens like me have a chance at it.

My idea is to introduce some randomness via the AI and making it more than just a single hotlap. Maybe guys that are really good on one lap can't sustain it for 20 laps, and other guys are good at being consistent from lap to lap, etc. I'm sure there are other ways to do it. If we come up with something good that doesn't require a whole bunch of time from a programmer, maybe we can get SMS to implement it for next time.

- and I'll add that this solely came from the SMs originally, but SMS is clearly open to ideas.

Tang Kwok
02-06-2012, 16:41
for player who don't have a wheel ?

Angelo Molino
02-06-2012, 16:42
all this just because there's a prize at stake
the truth is ultimately the pilots are currently leading the most talented
one need only look at charts of past events. :a28:

Micas
02-06-2012, 16:49

So what's your point?

crowtrobot
02-06-2012, 16:58
Actually, no, that wasn't specifically talked about. We all know (and by "we", I mean the WMD members and SMS) that the way that prizes are distributed can be improved. The problem is that the current state of the game is not conducive to a custom setup right now. It would take some coding effort to change that, and the timing wasn't good to do that. SMS wants to get some exposure for Thrustmaster with the track and such, so just having a random drawing of all active accounts wouldn't work.

Thanks for the response. Makes sense.

Input device is currently tracked through our stats page, so while it might not have a hook in the in-game GUI, results of the contest could be sorted on SMS's side to find the top laptimes with keyboards/pads. It's very likely that the "aliens" would be able to adapt and take the contest with these as well, since most of the laptime is down to racing-line and patience, but perhaps not. Seems to me though, that if the prize is a pretty nice wheel, you'd want to try and get that in the hands of people that don't already have something similar.

It's difficult to come up with _fair_ ideas here that don't fall into "redistributing" or total randomness. A minimum qualifying time (107%-rule) and a random draw from qualifications seems like a good balance.

TheDoctor46
02-06-2012, 17:23

And as you can see, the aids system still needs a lot of improvement...

GTWelsh
02-06-2012, 17:49
Anyone with any wheel can win this really, my wheel is the bottom rung of fanatecs and so this new wheel would benifit me a lot !, my wheel was £130 or something like that, or people should buy a DFGT for around £80. These wheels are not expensive in the grand scheme of things.

But making the jump and getting one of these wheels will make you better at the game, thats the whole reason I got one.

A wheel someone wins, in a comp only accessible to keyboard / pad users should probably be a DFGT, or my wheel. this mega bucks wheel is a perfect prize for people already with wheels.

I feel this TM wheel is overkill for anyone with a pad or keyboard, anyone into sim racing to a point where they want that wheel, would / should already have a wheel of some kind anyway (imo)

My 2 cents.

Dr. HaZaRd
02-06-2012, 17:54
Guys... I can't start the event... Why?

Screenshot 1920*1080 (http://www.gt5italia.it/images/upload/foto/events_pcars.jpg)

Marcel Spuehler
02-06-2012, 17:56
Because your not using the newest Build (226) youre still on 207...

Download the new Build and you can enter the Event...

ibby
02-06-2012, 17:57
Guys... I can't start the event... Why?

Screenshot 1920*1080 (http://www.gt5italia.it/images/upload/foto/events_pcars.jpg)

build 207 download the new one ;)

Dr. HaZaRd
02-06-2012, 18:16
rigth.... :p

I download pCARS only 3 days ago... From 207 to 226 in 3 days? Nice.. :a15:

(sorry for my ENG)

Angelo Molino
02-06-2012, 18:36
So what's your point?
the point is that it's okay
I happily accept that someone could be better than me.

Alex Hobbs
02-06-2012, 18:38
rigth.... :p

I download pCARS only 3 days ago... From 207 to 226 in 3 days? Nice.. :a15:

(sorry for my ENG)

Hehe, junior builds are released once a month, so 207 was released at the start of May, and you only had to wait 3 days for the start of the next month. Team members get weekly builds and the more you pay the more updates per month you get :)

Angelo Molino
02-06-2012, 18:50
And as you can see, the aids system still needs a lot of improvement...

true .. but I despite driving aids are always at least 3 or 4 seconds away from the top

uhmm.....I feel like narain karthikeyan lol :a21:

Patrick Kulinski
02-06-2012, 18:56
Why don't we handle this thing ourselves and the winner hands the wheel over to the best non-wheel driver? Would be a great act to show community spirit IMO.

Aurelien Duval
02-06-2012, 18:56
Very tough event for me, as I play with a gamepad (but hey it's a Thustmaster !!! ;) ) As some have already stated, it is sort of frustrating for people who don't have some good hardware, but it is a source of motivation for me. Even if I don't stand a slight chance to win, I will surely improve my driving :o

Andrew Clark
02-06-2012, 19:20
Maybe the winner will donate it back :a43: Anyway not an event I am worried to win or not but if it lures some people who are big fans of other sims and once they have tried pCARS and see that it's pretty darn good and that some of what is said out there in the world is HogWash this will be a success going forward.:a31:

xilian
02-06-2012, 19:22
incredible that there can be so much whining when a company sponsors one of the
players with a prize :)

crowtrobot
02-06-2012, 19:38
incredible that there can be so much whining when a company sponsors one of the
players with a prize :)

I don't think most of it is whining, I think people are mostly giving suggestions for future contests to make them more interesting. Big difference between complaining and and offering constructive criticism. I hope that however the contest turns out, it's positive for SMS and Thrustmaster, and encourages more companies to get involved and get pCARS more press.

Oliver Rademacher
02-06-2012, 19:41
...for me its usually frustrating seeing alientimes - 8 secs away from...
- thats often the part where the fun dies^^ and deinstall starts - am i too bad for simulations?
Are they too good? Could it be - of course - "only" right car-/wheelsetup?

I know i mostly turn in too late...and my wheel settings suboptimal...but 8 secs...
I give a sh** to be the first´n win the price (sry 4 foul mouthed) - its the main princible :a32:

Of course some alien would give me please the real setup he is using...?! PM...?! Just wanna see
how much this would work...for all i care after the event...

THX´n gnait Oliver

DCLXVI
02-06-2012, 19:46
Maybe having multiple contests at the same time.

Like 5 different cars on same track. So 5 different contests category.
Once registered one the pilot can not change car and has to stay in that category.
Best for each category wins something.

Or having with qualifications rounds.
Top 100 get to tier 1, 101 to 200 get to tier 2 and so on.
Then a hotlap contest for each tier.

But then I can imagine a alien making a bad qualification to be in lower tier for an easy win...

So maybe have the tiers based on previous events results as qualification results.

Remco Van Dijk
02-06-2012, 20:01
...for me its usually frustrating seeing alientimes - 8 secs away from...
- thats often the part where the fun dies^^ and deinstall starts - am i too bad for simulations?
Are they too good? Could it be - of course - "only" right car-/wheelsetup?

I know i mostly turn in too late...and my wheel settings suboptimal...but 8 secs...
I give a sh** to be the first´n win the price (sry 4 foul mouthed) - its the main princible :a32:

Of course some alien would give me please the real setup he is using...?! PM...?! Just wanna see
how much this would work...for all i care after the event...

THX´n gnait Oliver
Mikko posted that he got these very fast times already with the default set-up. So it's not about set-ups, but about driving style and knowing how to push it to the limit.

Roger Prynne
02-06-2012, 20:01
You will notice that some people with the fastest times drive very unrealistically from the videos that I've seen.... like changing down the gears to quick and skidding into corners etc... and it looks so stupid.

Remco Van Dijk
02-06-2012, 20:07
You will notice that some people with the fastest times drive very unrealistically from the videos that I've seen.... like changing down the gears to quick and skidding into corners etc... and it looks so stupid.
They drive how the game allows you to drive, basically :)

Not saying that any of our aliens do this, but I do hope that when the damage model has matured any abusive driving will be punished with blown gaskets, shredded gear boxes and similar things :)

Roger Prynne
02-06-2012, 20:19
They drive how the game allows you to drive, basically :)

Not saying that any of our aliens do this, but I do hope that when the damage model has matured any abusive driving will be punished with blown gaskets, shredded gear boxes and similar things :)
Yea exactly and I totally agree, and lets hope that the damage model is more realistic in the near future (which I know will be)

Matt Woodroof
02-06-2012, 20:24
I see Fabian is now top into the 1:51s, incredible!! I say well done to him. I am sure some will moan about the driving aids he is using, but I don't agree - only 3 in the top 10 are using any significant driving aids.

One question though - he is about the only person listed as using the Intermediate driving model - does anyone know definitively what this means? I think it just affects the default driving aids that are turned on, but does anyone know if it does anything else??

Fabian - if you read this, I reckon you could go quicker if you turned them off! Have you tried?!

Mikko Korkiakoski
02-06-2012, 20:43
Intermediate difficulty allows the use of FULL ASSISTS. Meaning that he can use TC on high.

speed1
02-06-2012, 20:46
I have to laugh. A competition where there's a price to win but the possibilities are limited to be 100% fair and nevertheless i find it not bad since we know the sim is still not prepared for something like that. Why not simply resign to the conditions and enjoyment if there is interest. It is childish to say only the aliens could win or who have already a wheel and could drive better because of that and so on. Who are the aliens and where they come from ? Are they from another planet or born with the talent ? Ridiculous ! Why those one don't learn it yourself to setup and drive the car right to be fast ? It is each of his personal problem if he/she is too bad to win and not those one who train for year's and hour's to be good. There are things that i also do not like but then i not participate simply if it bothers me too much. In any case, i thank you SMS for this good idea and wish all involved enjoyment and success ! ;)

Mikko Korkiakoski
02-06-2012, 20:48
I have to laugh. A competition where there's a price to win but the possibilities are limited to be 100% fair and nevertheless i find it not bad since we know the sim is still not prepared for something like that. Why not simply resign to the conditions and enjoyment if there is interest. It is childish to say only the aliens could win or who have already a wheel and could drive better because of that and so on. Who are the aliens and where they come from ? Are they from another planet or born with the talent ? Ridiculous ! Why those one don't learn it yourself to setup and drive the car right to be fast ? It is each of his personal problem if he/she is too bad to win and not those one who train for year's and hour's to be good. There are things that i also do not like but then i not participate simply if it bothers me too much. In any case, i thank you SMS for this good idea and wish all involved enjoyment and success ! ;)

Words of wisdom... I don't think many people here have the slightest clue how much I have practised during my 7 years of sim racing... and still I find that there are people who are just faster than me.

---> Back on track for more practice. ;)

ibby
02-06-2012, 20:52

Agreed.
Anything that attracts more good drivers is a good thing in my opinion.
First prize for fastest ? <- More fast people might join i reckon

If someone is driving with keyboard they are not really serious about driving games anyway.. why award them with a wheel that might not get used as much as someone who cares enough to buy one in the first place ?
A G25 driver can def. win in this competition so a T500 would be a good step up.

Espen Gundersen
02-06-2012, 21:01
I see many complain/suggests that it should be default settings only. But I like to fiddle with the cars, so why not make the setup transparent in some of these contests? In the future when the technology supports it, we can tune the car but the tune then become public.

Another suggestion is to do what is done in many classic rally, drive close to a target time. Set one time, and then match that in the following round or the next 5-10. A consistency challange, ultimate time doesn't count. (top gear, anyone? :) )

Matt Woodroof
02-06-2012, 21:29
Intermediate difficulty allows the use of FULL ASSISTS. Meaning that he can use TC on high.

So as the man in P2 at the moment using no assists, do you think Fabian using these is unfair Mikko? Or perhaps I should ask do you think you would be quicker with these assists on?

I might have a go with intermediate and TC on high and same other aids as Fabian is using, but I think I will be slower than with assists on - especially in this car, it seems to be a relatively forgiving car, so no real need for TC/ABS assists, they are just going to slow you down?

Anyway, I am reasonably pleased with my 1:59.98 now (after only ~40 minutes practice), I reckon I could get down to the 58s, but not much better. So that leaves me at least 6 seconds off winning pace... wow, you guys are quick!

It would be great to see the setups you are using and/or a video of one of your hot laps to try to get some tips from the masters!! Any chance? Or is that too much to ask with a proper prize at stake?! :p

Andrew Clark
02-06-2012, 21:29
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/442/415/104592495_display_image.jpg?1286986769

The King of Whine Steve Spurrier none of you are even close

Mikko Korkiakoski
02-06-2012, 21:55
So as the man in P2 at the moment using no assists, do you think Fabian using these is unfair Mikko? Or perhaps I should ask do you think you would be quicker with these assists on?

It's been discussed before and Fabian himself admitted he was slower without assists and that was without TC on high. I think there was quite a big gap between no assists and assists on so they clearly make you faster. If this was just a hotlap competition I wouldn't even try the assists but as it is not JUST a hotlap competition I will have to probably give them a try eventually. Assists shouldn't make the car faster but they do so what can I do really.

Micas
02-06-2012, 21:56
The idea is that always limiting a prize to a handful of people on WMD is not healthy for the community. Position #14 is currently a full 3 seconds off the pace. I find that delta odd. The Ghost replays and saving of setup details will be interesting to see in future events.

Tom Servo
02-06-2012, 22:24
Heh, I'm already trying to keep the foot down as much as possible, and I'm still 10 seconds behind. :a43:

MickyMutton
02-06-2012, 23:02
1:58:500 for me and that's that! Gawd knows how the top lads are getting into the 51's unless there's a secret tunnel that knocks 6 odd seconds off the lap time:a01:
I did the 1:58 with no aids on then tried again with TC, Stability and ABS and was 2 seconds slower! Could be the beer though. Good luck to whoever wins the wheel and I hope we get a chance to see a vid of the winning lap. For me however, the chequered flag has fallen at this event! (Not that I had a hope in hells chance of winning lol)

ps The lads that are setting the top times must be driving a completely different style to the rest of us, Wonder what it is?

Mark Abbott
02-06-2012, 23:11
Having raced in a league with some bonafide aliens in, gaining one of their precious setups did little to enlighten to exactly how in the hell they were so fast, the setup was absolutely bloody hideous, so even if in the future setups are shared it does not mean that we mortals are likely to be any faster. They brake later, power on earlier, earthlings are not going to be suddenly worrying the first pages of the leaderboards if more genuine aliens join!

I think it would be interesting if it was clearly denoted whether the lap was set using aids or not but also if they were using custom setups, I think that while it is it very true a good setup can make the world of difference, getting a good setup if you no good at analysing what your car is doing sets you at a serious disadvantage.

Hugh Crummond
02-06-2012, 23:20
No aids and an out of the box setup would be more of a 'real competition'
Just my opinion...

traind
02-06-2012, 23:25
1:58:500 for me and that's that! Gawd knows how the top lads are getting into the 51's unless there's a secret tunnel that knocks 6 odd seconds off the lap time:a01:
I did the 1:58 with no aids on then tried again with TC, Stability and ABS and was 2 seconds slower! Could be the beer though. Good luck to whoever wins the wheel and I hope we get a chance to see a vid of the winning lap. For me however, the chequered flag has fallen at this event! (Not that I had a hope in hells chance of winning lol)

ps The lads that are setting the top times must be driving a completely different style to the rest of us, Wonder what it is?

I'd like to find that tunnel too! I usually use default settings (with no aids) or download other people's setups in iracing. With default I am way behind the pace here. I only did a few laps but this car in default seems to have tons of grip... I really can't see how to shave off that much more time. So, I'd like to see the eventual winning set up and a video too!

Panzer91
02-06-2012, 23:51
2:00:... with assists and 1.59 with =/ I think for the next time, prize or no prize, the off track should be defined better. The large hairpin before the straight can be overrun so much - you can set up the run to the straight perfectly and gain at least 1-2 seconds. Also on the kink that follows you don't need to lift off because you go off track and back on without upsetting the vehicle and cut your times down. Now to find the other spots where folk are gaining so much time.

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 00:14
I did a quick film of a lap (not a particularly clean one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7AbIwRSpA

The aliens will probably laugh at both my driving and setup. A 1.56.7 lap.
I have potential to do a 1.55.5 with that setup and my skills.
The setup is more agressive, as I like a more pointy car. So the default is more forgiving, but for me only about 1 second faster.

Front:
tire pressure: 1.36
ride hight: 40
spring rate: 83
camber: -1.9
bump stop: 20
slow bump: 5000
slow rebound: 6000
fast bump: 2800
fast rebound: 3600
caster: 4.9
downforce: 5
sway bar: 64

Rear:
tire pressure: 1.42
ride hight: 50
spring rate: 102
camber: -0.9
bump stop: 17
slow bump: 4600
slow rebound: 7200
fast bump: 2600
fast rebound: 4500
downforce: 6
sway bar: 36

Global:
radiator opening: 1%
brake pressure: 96%
brake duct: 0
Fule: 10kg

Gear:
finale: 6.19
1: 2.87
2: 2.04
3: 1.59
4: 1.3
5: 1.08
6: 0.9

Rest: default
No assist

No easy way to post a screenshot of the setup, as previously. :uncomfortableness:

ibby
03-06-2012, 00:39
The setup is more agressive, as I like a more pointy car. So the default is more forgiving, but for me only about 1 second faster.

Didn't try it but:

You forgot your toe-in / toe-out settings
I think they help quite a bit vs the default setup ;)

Here's a good setup guide for everyone:
http://web.archive.org/web/20091026235423/http://ca.geocities.com/cbarnett/SetupMatrix.html

Mark Silcock
03-06-2012, 00:48

Front:

Rear:

Global:

Gear:

No assist

No easy way to post a screenshot of the setup, as previously. :uncomfortableness:

That looks very similar to my laps and my time is 1:55.5, similar set-up except I am running low wing 2 F 0 R. I am loosing time in the first sector so think I need to put some back on.

The thing about the fastest guys is they think outside the box and push the limits of the game. I can only drive as fast as I think a car can go and finding those areas outside the box is very alien to me!

To stop the whining you need 2 prizes one for the fastest and one drawn at random from the names of who entered. I am not suggesting there should be 2 TR500's! But maybe Thrustmaster could have purchased a Senior account to give as a prize?

David Pugh
03-06-2012, 00:59
Ughh i cant get any less than 2.00 minutes, ive tried multiple different setups, i just cant really feel the road, I am using a crappy madcatz steering wheel with no ffb, game only recognizes it as a gamepad, i have a half a sec of lag on the wheel and a huge nasty deadzone. I guess it takes a good wheel to win one. =(

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 01:00
@ Espen

Funny...but not what you think. Actually that is some nice driving and looks fast too. I can't believe your best is only a 1.55.x but I think the biggest reason for that is the you are running a high downforce + ultra stable setup. It's nice to drive but it's not the fastest. :o

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 01:06
Mikko, I think you might be on to something there! :a21:
I can set those laptimes ten times in a row, very stable and predictable.

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 01:08
Mikko, I think you might be on to something there! :a21:
I can set those laptimes ten times in a row, very stable and predictable.

I think you missed the point in this competition. The goal was to set the fastest possible time on ONE lap...not to build a best possible race setup. :a26:

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 01:18
haha.. shut up! :a31:

But Suzuka is a relatively high downforce circuit, so pcars should not really reward low downforce setups.

And btw, this car is hugely underpowered! The Chassis can take a lot more.

Mark Silcock
03-06-2012, 01:20
The car has a lot of grip without a lot of down force. Suzuka has 3 quite long fast sections too.

Mark Silcock
03-06-2012, 01:22
51.1!!!

Nice Mikko

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 01:26
A monster lap! But it means we can conclude that the assists helps... sadly :(

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 01:38

Yes, as I explained in the other thread the assists enable you to drive a setup that without assists would be totally undriveable. With the setup I had made with NO assists on the assists didn't really make that much of a difference. But it's when you start to go towards an extreme setup the assists come into play. I really don't like having to use assists (in fact I hate myself for using them) but I'm in it to win it as they say...and I really want that T500. :a08:

Anyway the competition is far from over and to be honest I'm not really that confident I'll walk away with the win.

Mark Silcock
03-06-2012, 01:48

yup but they didn't magically take 4secs off my time! I did manage a .2 improvement :D

Dan Blamey
03-06-2012, 01:51
Yes, as I explained in the other thread the assists enable you to drive a setup that without assists would be totally undriveable. With the setup I had made with NO assists on the assists didn't really make that much of a difference. But it's when you start to go towards an extreme setup the assists come into play. I really don't like having to use assists (in fact I hate myself for using them) but I'm in it to win it as they say...and I really want that T500. :a08:

Anyway the competition is far from over and to be honest I'm not really that confident I'll walk away with the win.

I'd be happy for you to win Mikko, you've been setting top times consistently in the leaderboards. I'd rather that than someone who's never posted here just jump in the competition and claim the prize! :p

Would you mind sharing roughly the time you would set if you used the stock tune? I'd like to know what is fast for stock as I rarely play with the setups :)

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 01:51
yup but they didn't magically take 4secs off my time! I did manage a .2 improvement :D

If I win the competition I will give you a private lesson on how to drive Suzuka, I promise.

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 01:53
I'd be happy for you to win Mikko, you've been setting top times consistently in the leaderboards. I'd rather that than someone who's never posted here just jump in the competition and claim the prize! :p

Would you mind sharing roughly the time you would set if you used the stock tune? I'd like to know what is fast for stock as I rarely play with the setups :)

Thanks Dan, I will do my best don't worry.

I can try a default set tomorrow if you wish. You want me to try it without assists of course?

Dan Blamey
03-06-2012, 02:03
Yeah without assists preferably. I think it's just helpful for the average racers like me to know what they could achieve without having to play with setups.

Thanks Mikko!

Andrew Clark
03-06-2012, 02:19
So Mikko is there radiation in the water in Finland that breeds aliens?

Vic Kirby
03-06-2012, 02:25
@ Mikko. only in the name of community spirit (of course) a video tutorial this car this track @ stock setup

EDIT. sorry almost forgot, Please

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 02:29
But of course; "if you want to win, employ a Fin."

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

Matt Woodroof
03-06-2012, 10:14
If I win the competition I will give you a private lesson on how to drive Suzuka, I promise.

As per my comment in the other thread, can we all have this "private" lesson?!

I seriously think SMS should employ Mikko to work on the driving school and tuning school game modes and give us all some help during development...

Come on, this would be great!!

Sgt.Seg
03-06-2012, 10:20

Front:

Rear:

Global:

Gear:

No assist

Looks familiar with me... shortcutting the entry of the last chicane gives you another half second, by hitting the two pylons... my best is a 1:56:8 but my best could be a 1:55:999! I found that nearly second in the second part of the track, but most time i waste this time at the double left on the end of the second part...

I have nearly the same setup, only downforce at the back is only 5, not 6, so i can be faster through most corners, only the first one i keep turning in 70% of my laps... it is really hard to bes faster...

My strength is more the endurance, i can do 10 laps and all are 1:57 low... maybe there should be a competition to drive 5 Laps and not the fastest counts, but the average time, don't think the real fast ones have a setup to do this...

sagedavid
03-06-2012, 10:39
I see many complain/suggests that it should be default settings only. But I like to fiddle with the cars, so why not make the setup transparent in some of these contests? In the future when the technology supports it, we can tune the car but the tune then become public.
+111111 For this proposition or

+11111 for default setup...

It depends on the purpose of this contest : find a great setup or find an alien... or both :p

Oliver Rademacher
03-06-2012, 10:50
But of course; "if you want to win, employ a Fin."

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bmqdnx5R1U

Cool link @ Espen - i loved Häkkinen the absolutely competentest non snotnosed driver ever^^
Of course i´ve learned a little bit ;P

DCLXVI
03-06-2012, 11:06

Yes and with the ghost so wwe can see what is going on.

Oliver Rademacher
03-06-2012, 11:51
...mhhh - now i tried with intermediate aids on...
Time changed from 2.00,xxx... to 1.58,6xxx...of course with some "optimizing the wheel"
and get a lucky "hit all sectors", a 1.57,xxx could be...Thats even enough for some screenshot of an T500 RS :a39:

I think the "S" at the end is one of my crucial point!

Gethema
03-06-2012, 12:15
As someone said, you have to think "outside the box" and push the limits of the game to get a halfway competitive lap time. If I had a wheel, I'm sure I would be a able to shave off another 1-2 Sec. of my current 1:54.6 driven with an Xbox 360 Pad, but with latter I think it's hardly possible.

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 13:07
So Mikko is there radiation in the water in Finland that breeds aliens?

I really hope not. :D

@ Mikko. only in the name of community spirit (of course) a video tutorial this car this track @ stock setup

EDIT. sorry almost forgot, Please

I'm not really that handy with making tutorials but when I got time I will try and record a lap with the stock setup with the telemetry screen on. I think that should give you a good idea of what is going on.

As per my comment in the other thread, can we all have this "private" lesson?!

I seriously think SMS should employ Mikko to work on the driving school and tuning school game modes and give us all some help during development...

Come on, this would be great!!

Well it would be awesome to do something like that but to be honest I think they have that sort of stuff sorted already.

Vic Kirby
03-06-2012, 13:26
@ mikko "I'm not really that handy with making tutorials but when I got time I will try and record a lap with the stock setup with the telemetry screen on. I think that should give you a good idea of what is going on."

You are a hero in my book ;)

Oliver Rademacher
03-06-2012, 13:58
Here´s one of my last lap about 1.59,1xx
http://www.vidup.de/v/i9u30/ - donno how to embedd.

Of course someone has some hints ^^ THX

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 14:17
It looks really calm, just like mine :P Take a look at my video, there's some corners you can cut a lot more, especially the last chicane. And your setup looks very stable. (look at the comments I got)

Btw: how did you record the replay? I'm recoding live laps, replays are to short...

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 14:22
In race mode you get the whole race as a replay.

stathis
03-06-2012, 14:26
Competition idea: Guess the fastest time.

well the AI at max can do it under 1:50:000,can the aliens beat that? :a24:

Marcel Spuehler
03-06-2012, 14:30
ok, finally a 1:57:899... With PB's on all Sectors i'm able to drive a low 1:57:xxx but not more...
I'm in the Top 200 an my Goal is to be there also at the end of the Contest... Then im more than Happy :a01:

Michael Kondos
03-06-2012, 14:53
There should be no aids available in a competition like this.. Do you drive with aids in real life? Because i sure don't !

Kai Lochbaum
03-06-2012, 14:58
Great.. was just beating my personal time when it suddenly got dark... Event TimeTrial seems to take the quick race settings into account with 240x time acceleration :D

btw: Mikko what camera are you using? Found a second switching from helmet to cockpit view (I assume due to the head movement)

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 15:26
I always use the cockpit view.

Emile
03-06-2012, 15:29

I was wondering how the leaderboard server works, does it receive every lap time we make, or is the game only sending our best lap time ?

If it does receive every lap time, the event should be a separate leaderboard (I mean like an other track) that only select lap time compliant with the event rules.

delpinsky
03-06-2012, 15:32
I see the Leaderboard "top driver" for Thrustmaster competition has:
Traction control: ON
stability control: ON
ABS: ON

The 2nd placed guy uses "external view" also.

Wouldn't be better, as this is a competition where you can win something "BIG", to restrict it to: No AIDS (but clutch ON for 2 pedals rigs) and internal view only?

In any case I will try my next laptimes with Driving Aids as well if this means winning that Thrustmaster thing :p

Otherwise developers should tell us which Driving Aids are allowed because the "real" counterpart got them...

Tang Kwok
03-06-2012, 15:43
i can't do 1:51:167 even i cut the track! DAFAQ?!

Mikko Korkiakoski
03-06-2012, 15:48
I see the Leaderboard "top driver" for Thrustmaster competition has:
Traction control: ON
stability control: ON
ABS: ON

The 2nd placed guy uses "external view" also.

Wouldn't be better, as this is a competition where you can win something "BIG", to restrict it to: No AIDS (but clutch ON for 2 pedals rigs) and internal view only?

In any case I will try my next laptimes with Driving Aids as well if this means winning that Thrustmaster thing :p

Otherwise developers should tell us which Driving Aids are allowed because the "real" counterpart got them...

I Agree 100% that there should be a rule that you can't use any aids. I never use aids when I drive BUT this time I just need to be "humble" and take all the advantages I can get if I want to win this event. If this makes me a "good driver" instead of a good driver then so be it. It's big prize and I can live with myself for using those aids if it is what is needed to compete for the T500.

fatClyde
03-06-2012, 15:52
There should be no aids available in a competition like this.. Do you drive with aids in real life? Because i sure don't !

As most cars have ABS these days I'm going to have to call you on that. ;)

Alex Hobbs
03-06-2012, 15:59

Well actually the JP-LM has no such aids that I could find :)

(Also lol at the people participating that already have a wheel, the closest guy that actually needs one is in 16th :P)

delpinsky
03-06-2012, 16:09
I Agree 100% that there should be a rule that you can't use any aids. I never use aids when I drive BUT this time I just need to be "humble" and take all the advantages I can get if I want to win this event. If this makes me a "good driver" instead of a good driver then so be it. It's big prize and I can live with myself for using those aids if it is what is needed to compete for the T500.
Don't worry I don't blame you, as there are no rules set, so drivers are free to use all means to win ;)
But honestly, considering a prize like that, I would have set some basic rules at least.

By the way I'm not gonna win this contest in any case ehehe... driving aids on or off :D
There are much more skilled simdrivers than me here, but I will see what I can do with some other laps and setup mess...

presha
03-06-2012, 16:20

No one is blaming you, but we will if you won't make a video tutorial with the setup and one examplary lap after the competition is over ;)

fatClyde
03-06-2012, 16:47
Well actually the JP-LM has no such aids that I could find :)

As the person said "Do you drive with aids in real life?", I responded to that. Most cars in real life are fitted with ABS plus other aids.
I don't think many people drive JP-LM Jags in real life. :rolleyes:

DCLXVI
03-06-2012, 17:11
I can certainly do under 1:56 with more trials. I think I have room for a 1:55.5

I can understand guyz achieving 1:54.x. If you have a really good timing and make a faultless lap.

But seriously 1:51... That's crazy. I don't understand how this is possible.

I you look carefuly, the 9th in the leaderboard still has 3 seconds from the 1st... And he's almost 0.500s behind the 8th.

Starting from 9th position downwards, all pilots are very close but above, the gaps are like 0.5 or 0.3.

I'd tend to think the top leaderboard would be closer.

I'd like to know if people in the 1.54 think there is room for 3, 2 or even 1 second improvement on their PB... Because so far I see for me I could do 1:55.5 so I understand 1:54.1. But above that almost seems like luck... from outer space.

EDIT: just read the bit about impossible setups and aids on, so now it makes more sense, though that only explains the 5 times :D

Gerald Whyley
03-06-2012, 17:29
its in the middle sector i seem to be losing some of my time. still trying to get a good smooth driving through the first sector too. i dont think i can get another second outa my driving, a few hundredths here and ther but thats about it

Vic Kirby
03-06-2012, 17:36
I'd like to know if people in the 1.54 think there is room for 3, 2 or even 1 second improvement on their PB... Because so far I see for me I could do 1:55.5 so I understand 1:54.1. But above that almost seems like luck... from outer space.

I just watched a video a few times from Joni Varis doing 1:52:500 then I went on-track and went from a 1:55.766 to a 1:54.664 in a few laps, so with a bit more practice and watch Joni's lap a few more times i know there is more to come.

Sponts
03-06-2012, 17:46

I find this aids debate a bit funny. You dont use aids in real life as they are presented in the game but you still use them. All cars (including racing cars) have chips these days that control everything. Even if cars dont have ABS or TC they have million other things that help to get the most out of the car. I doubt for instance that V8 supercars, F1 cars or any other top tier racing cars could even get off the line if all the raw power would get transferred from engine straight to wheels, be how sensitive you want with the throttle pedal. Another aid that you have IRL is the G-forces which makes the biggest difference when compared to simracing. Btw I personally prefer not to use aids unless I really feel uncomfortable, in pCARS I have only the stability aid on. Since I got ClubSport pedals I dont use ABS in any game anymore since I can adjust the strength from the pedals...but thats an aid too. I am sure all the real racing drivers use all the aids they can get on their cars, they are competing after all. Just my 2 cents.

crowtrobot
03-06-2012, 18:37
I am sure all the real racing drivers use all the aids they can get on their cars, they are competing after all. Just my 2 cents.
True, they use all the aides they can get away with within the series' rules. What's happening here is that a lot of people are saying that the race should be determined by driver ability, not a combination of aides and setup exploits and therefore establishing some series rules.

Espen Gundersen
03-06-2012, 19:55

EDIT: just read the bit about impossible setups and aids on, so now it makes more sense, though that only explains the 5 times :D

I'm sorry to disappoint, but the top guys are aliens without aids as well. From my memory Mikko did a high 1.51 without any assists (and personally, that is more impressive and gets more respect from me than his 1.50.7 with aids).

And with rules about assists in this event to one side; If the times (without aids) Mikko and the rest of the top guys are doing are "real", and not track/game exploits, i'm seriously impressed and they should give Lucas Ordonez a run for his money. Respect!
On the other hand it could be loopholes in the physics, track limits or some other game exploit. If so, well done, well played, and I would have done the same to win. ;)

DCLXVI
03-06-2012, 20:05
I just gained one second by going to intermediate. Now 1:55.132. From 60+th to 36th.

By the way I was right to say we'll see 1:50 !

Come one let's see some 1:49 in maybe two days and 1:48 maybe by the end of contest.

Matt Woodroof
03-06-2012, 20:58
Well it would be awesome to do something like that but to be honest I think they have that sort of stuff sorted already.

SMS team - the man is up for it!!! I know SMS staff are working on it, but I still think that he could contribute a lot to this... what do you think? Do you really have it totally sorted, or shall we get some of the community's best drivers to sign up and work on driver and setup training elements of the game? I think these need a lot of good input and ideas to make them awesome and really differentiate the game from other sims...

Would be good to get the Devs view on this!

Micas
03-06-2012, 22:21
Seems to me the entire community could contribute to the the driving school portion of the game, not just the aliens. I liked the school that iRacing has, even though it's pretty basic, but it's supposed to be. It's intended for people new to the genre and not highly experienced drivers. Then again, I guess the driving school could be divided up in to basic, intermediate, and advanced sections, and in the advanced section the aliens could contribute elements of how they find ways to shave small amounts of time.

But that's a topic for the design forum.. :)

Andrew Clark
03-06-2012, 23:52
We need a book Sim Racing for Dummies

faceplant
04-06-2012, 01:38
Should have been a quote here from Espen
"I'm sorry to disappoint, but the top guys are aliens without aids as well. From my memory Mikko did a high 1.51 without any assists (and personally, that is more impressive and gets more respect from me than his 1.50.7 with aids).

And with rules about assists in this event to one side; If the times (without aids) Mikko and the rest of the top guys are doing are "real", and not track/game exploits, i'm seriously impressed and they should give Lucas Ordonez a run for his money. Respect!
On the other hand it could be loopholes in the physics, track limits or some other game exploit. If so, well done, well played, and I would have done the same to win. "

looking at vids that are being posted on other sim sites, they're hammering the curbs and cuts were the laptimes are not discounted. I seem to sneeze on a curb and my laptime gets binned (probably the biggest annoyance of the whole sim if you ask me).

DCLXVI
04-06-2012, 09:18
looking at vids that are being posted on other sim sites, they're hammering the curbs and cuts were the laptimes are not discounted. I seem to sneeze on a curb and my laptime gets binned (probably the biggest annoyance of the whole sim if you ask me).

About that, I'm just talking about Joni's vid here.

Well he's got pretty good traction there. I'm not good enough to get a setup that gets that much traction and 265/260 kph in the straights. Just look at the hairpin part, my car does never have that much power on the low revs to exit while he enter it from the inside he still manages to get a lot of grip and traction to exit very fast. I tried different gearbox setting with no luck, only with more aero I can get similar thing but only with 2/0 aero I can get 260 in the straights. Maybe I need to tweak rollbars a bit more I don't know.
Even the entry of the hair^pin, if I brake so late at the same point I'll never stop where he does the car will slide and understeer even with TC High.

Hammering the kerbs is really not the problem here, that's the traction, so he has a really good setup and really good throttle control. I can't get that much throttle response in the low revs, and also even with throttle sensitivity 100% it's still not much responsive in the low range. Never in a turn exit does he have the revs falling a bit because rear loose traction. And still with 2/0 aero as he says and TC Off.

Michael Kondos
04-06-2012, 11:30

Your talking about most cars.. i'm talking about race cars ( I probably should've mentioned it ).. BUT Ever heard of a race car having ABS? It wouldn't be a race car if it did.

Brainbug
04-06-2012, 12:08
... BUT Ever heard of a race car having ABS? It wouldn't be a race car if it did.
not true and an old rumor in modern racing; even the adac gt masters series (you will find EVERY greatly known super-sportcar in there) allow ABS.

ADAC-GT-Masters-RULES-2012-202.pdf (http://www.adac-gt-masters.de/docs/adac-gt-masters/static/de/regeln/ADAC-GT-Masters-2012-202.pdf) (german)

28.7 Motor-, ABS- und sonstige Steuergeräte
Es dürfen Motor-, ABS und sonstige Steuergeräte nur mit der beim BoP Test hinterlegten Software-Version verwendet werden.

Vic Kirby
04-06-2012, 13:14
Indeed even F1 cars used anti skid(ABS) from the mid 80' to 1993 and there are many motor sports that still use it today and the same goes for traction control.

EDIT which makes me think that SMS should do something like, if it's on the car/race car then it should be set that way in the game without the option to turn it on if it doesn't have it and vice versa.

EDIT:EDIT In fact ABS systems were first used in the late 1960's for motor sports.

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT In fact the first ABS systems were used in the late 1920's.

sas59
04-06-2012, 13:32
ok, well done WMD and Thrustmaster. But I must say that i'm a little bit disapointed, because I haven't got a weel and in this case I have NO CHANCE to wine the package. So you gonna offer a well at someone who's allready got one. Little bit silly, no ?
Perhaps next time you could just do a draw or a question challenge. Hope so.
Thank you

Fernando Pedace
04-06-2012, 14:05
Indeed even F1 cars used anti skid(ABS) from the mid 80' to 1993 and there are many motor sports that still use it today and the same goes for traction control.

EDIT which makes me think that SMS should do something like, if it's on the car/race car then it should be set that way in the game without the option to turn it on if it doesn't have it and vice versa.

EDIT:EDIT In fact ABS systems were first used in the late 1960's for motor sports.

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT In fact the first ABS systems were used in the late 1920's.

yep, but an ABS from 1960 will never be so efficient as the 90's, of course. So this must be addressed to each car physic (don't know if is or its planned).

better to move this driving aids to setup menu.

Btw if all 80's Formula 1 have an ABS system as default, why not set this fixed in Leonus F86 for example ? So each car will have a fixed driving aids based on series settings. I know and not agreed with that... everyone must wanna drive all cars with your custom config but even real drivers cant have this choice.

more ideas: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4287-Driving-aids-Should-be-a-punishment

Sgt.Seg
04-06-2012, 16:22
the old DTM cars at 1994 (and i think also the STW after that) had Race-ABS, it only worked while turning the wheel and at slower speeds, so on a straigth you could brake as hard as possible and as it gets slower or you go into corner, the ABS works...
in one Race at the Norisring this ABS failed an one moved into a security wall at the end of the main straight (on Grundig-Kehre)...

So as mentioned before, there were several race cars with ABS, but most work a bit different as normal ABS Systemns...

But i agree, to keep the game real, in cars like the Gumpert Apollo it should be standart to have ABS enabeld... but maybe in the Seutup a possibility to switch that off...

Espen Gundersen
04-06-2012, 17:23
The ABS/TC arguments is divided into two. Aids for realism and aids for newbies.

To be 100% realistic all cars should have the aids the real car has (a lot more work) and be moved into car setup.
But as the system is now (and in most other games) the aids is for newbies to enjoy the game. Then their placement in gameplay is correct, but should probably have a system to be ultimately slower than a more realistic setup.

The "prefect" scenario would of course be a combination of both: In "pro-mode" all unrealistic (gameplay) aids are turned off, but car-specific options are available in car setup (with the correct behavior for that car). In "Novice-mode" more unrealistic help could be turned on (e.g. a novice need TC for F1), but this will carry a "penalty" of some sort, or not recorded/compared to pro-times.

Remember this is an AAA-title with average gamers in the target group, so we can't remove the TC/ABS option in cars without it. This competition obviously fails in achieving this, but this is pre-alpha and here to be improve.

And btw: for those who says "unfair, the winner doesn't need a new wheel": Mikko has a G25, he would love a T500RS!

Sergio_Junior
04-06-2012, 17:46
I can not understand why he is allowed to connect aid, we are not talking of a simulator?

Oliver Rademacher
04-06-2012, 17:47
"...the winner doesn't need a new wheel" <- just kidding´bout that @ Espen :a39:
Only own an f430 Thrustmaster - b4 got the G25...missed it!!!

Laffer
04-06-2012, 18:38
the closest guy that actually needs one is in 16th :P)

Even if the top 15 uses a wheel it doesn't mean that they don't "need" a new one, for example Mikko has a G25, same wheel as I do, and its propably coming to its end soon because he drives alot and wheels/pedals don't last forever. Im not sure why so many drive with pads and keyboards because new beginner wheel costs around 80€ and even some top guys still use that DFGT so money shouldn't be an issue there, and driving sims are allways best using wheels anyway.

Alex Hobbs
04-06-2012, 19:01
driving sims are allways best using wheels anyway.

Exactly my point right there.

Rincewind
04-06-2012, 19:16
Can some of the top players say, what there personal best with the default setup is/would be? I looked at the mentioned video over and over and the car seems to behave better in every aspect: more top-speed, more speed through the corners, more grip in the corners... I can see how he is clearly the better driver, but if i try the same corner at the same angle with the same speed, I just go wide and wide and into the ditch.

In the final game it should always be possible to load the replay/ghost car of the top ten drivers, and see detailed information on his setup.

On a side note:
Is the AI fully simulated? Cause if I activate AI on 100% difficulty, the car does some VERY strange things! The AI can do under 1:50, but it doesn't look very believable. Also the car flipped several times, due to the extreme steering angles the AI could archive.

4c65
04-06-2012, 19:21
Does anyone have any good tips for the last two sectors? Especially the second one where I tend to be slow everytime.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySznFR0KKGA

Also beware of doing that in the high speed corners guys. :P

Gerald Whyley
04-06-2012, 19:27
did u just strap ur car to the Saturn V rocket? brake well b4 the corner and be smooth.

Joni Varis
04-06-2012, 19:35
Can some of the top players say, what there personal best with the default setup is/would be?

Well with totally default setup i think something like 1.53 low/mid if you run long enough to burn most fo the fuel off. Default setup isnt that bad with this car.

Cunego65
04-06-2012, 19:52
I am completely disgusted with this event.

I'm a player with the gamepad. In many car simulations (rfactor, gtr, ...), we played without the aid with great difficulty to play. Still, it got to be classified in many competitions with ruffles.

Today, in CARS, we can more easily play without the aid, it can almost be level with the players wheel.

In this competition, we see players with high-tech equipment (G25/27, ...) fight to win another high-tech wheel as well.
It is most unfortunate is that players with gamepads will not win the prize.
And the worst in the history is that a player with the gamepad (which Kajin 1:53.8 XX), which plays without aid, will not even be a prize reward for his great round. As there are cowards of players with wheels, which lead with aid and make sick setup.

It is very demotivating to see that players have to wheel almost require players controllers, playing without the aid on servers, simulations of car. And today, those who the greatest facility to play, play with the aid.

In one year, in the multiplayer CARS, we will have BUG SETUP with the aid of Conduct. As for multiplayer F1 2011?

Daniel Ferbus
04-06-2012, 20:43
Maybe complain less and try harder... it's not all about the equipment

Panzer91
04-06-2012, 20:46
Come on, it's not the last ever competition in the world to win a wheel. The game is still wip, and once controllers have ffb and maybe some more steering tweaks, I'm sure they'll be just as competitive as wheel drivers. In the meantime go practice or watch E3 - New splinter cell xD

Roger Prynne
04-06-2012, 21:39
In this competition, we see players with high-tech equipment (G25/27, ...)
I wouldn't exactly call them high-tech equipment.

Kai Lochbaum
04-06-2012, 21:40
Well with totally default setup i think something like 1.53 low/mid if you run long enough to burn most fo the fuel off. Default setup isnt that bad with this car.... and I only get 55.6 with adjusting setup ^^
That's such a different world :O