PDA

View Full Version : NEW! Weekly Hotlap Events (Read First Post!)

Dan Blamey
20-03-2012, 21:55
If you've been left feeling disappointed as your top leaderboard times and associated bragging rights fade away when the leaderboards are wiped, your worries are now over!

Introducing the new Weekly Hotlap Events to Project CARS:

These events will run for one week, with the winner's name going into a 'Hall of Fame' for those all important bragging rights

The Events option in game is now available and we have the first event ready to go right now!

As this feature is using new code, expect that there will likely be some bugs. This first event is particularly for testing the feature

First event details & rules:
-------------------------------------------
Where is it? Accessed via the Events button on the main menu in game
Car & Track: Leonus F68 @ Rouen Les Essarts
Car Setup allowed: Yes
Event Window: Now until Tuesday March 27 (inclusive)
Build required: Build 174+

The next event will be available on Friday, you can cycle through Events (past, present and future) within the Events menu. There will be announcement for that event too so don't worry, you won't miss it.

Second event details & rules:
Where is it? Accessed via the Events button on the main menu in game, use the scroll buttons at the top
Car & Track: GUMPERT apollo S @ Florence Short
Car Setup allowed: Yes
Event Window: Now until Friday March 30 (inclusive)
Build required: Build 174+

Get hotlapping everyone!

Leigh Ferguson
20-03-2012, 21:57
Hall Of Shame here I come!

Marcel Spuehler
20-03-2012, 22:00
Cool Thing, but the Times are not counting in the Leaderboard. A Bug or it have to be so?

I need to tune my Setup because my Lap was not bad but only a 2.01.636 :-(

ibby
20-03-2012, 22:11
Seems to update for me.
Only thing i noticed is when you go out and back into rouen it doesn't show your personal fastest lap.
Probably tries to fetch the "normal" leadboard personal time ?

Peter Ball
20-03-2012, 22:25
+1
Loving the event, but as ibby says, doesn't load your best lap splits (yet) :)

ringhino
20-03-2012, 22:43
Fantastic O-O

NEGODNIK
21-03-2012, 08:46
Great motivation to get used to Leonus.:)

h31k0
21-03-2012, 09:06
great, thats what i am waiting for!

hope the hall of fame will not only show the first place! Would be more motivation for all if there will be show the "Top 3" or "Top 10" ;)

Tim Foster
21-03-2012, 09:19
great, thats what i am waiting for!

hope the hall of fame will not only show the first place! Would be more motivation for all if there will be show the "Top 3" or "Top 10" ;)

Would need a "Top 300" for me I think :D

Mike Laskey
21-03-2012, 09:35
Seems to update for me.
Only thing i noticed is when you go out and back into rouen it doesn't show your personal fastest lap.

Yes, one for the 'to fix' list.

ArkhamUK
21-03-2012, 10:11
Aweseome now there are more people to beat Jason "Jasnoo" Penny now :) Looking forward to it!

Catflavor
21-03-2012, 10:36
Perhaps the ranking could indicate dynamically whether we're faster than Jason "Jasnoo" Penny or not.

It's all very well being first, or in the top 10. But that will only ever please 10 people at a time. Despair not, mediocre sim-racers, for we feel your pain! There's a moving target which could bring satisfaction to many! Its name is Jasnoo (http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/profile?user=8601). His presence might bring happiness, or shame depending on his form. In any event he deserves to be highlighted on the list. In hot pink. He'll never know, he's colour blind; oh the serendipity...!

And, uh, apologies for the thread hijack. Very bad form. Super-glad to see an event, my Leonus '68 is calling...

Mark vd Meulen
21-03-2012, 12:12
As Andy mentioned somewhere else, some setting from game are carried over to this event.

- I played with Asano custom livery before I tried hotlap event and I also got a custom livery in the Leonus (default one). Closing event, choose wanted skin in normal game mode and restart event and I had normal non custom skin.

Danny Giusa
21-03-2012, 12:25
Would be cool if someone upload a pic of a good setup :)

Samuel Miettunen
21-03-2012, 13:57
I currently 33rd with a 1:55.784
Here's my setup, give it a go if you're having trouble...using no aids except Anti-Lock Brakes.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa58/Sammi723/NewPicture4.jpg

Steeve Johnes
21-03-2012, 13:57
cool :) Nice event !

TheDoctor46
21-03-2012, 13:58
terrible (I mean challenging^^) lighting conditions in this event... but a lot of fun without a doubt :a37:

Loadme Tacos
21-03-2012, 15:33
Seems to update for me.

Yes, one for the 'to fix' list.

Same here. AND it doesn't records my fastest lap in other modes too. I played at Rouen with formula A, on trial mode and race mode, and it doesn't record any fastest lap anymore.

Sponts
21-03-2012, 18:49
I got really frustrated with the F68 because it's so damn unpredictable with the default setup so I quickly mashed up one, did few laps and so far seems alright. Not sure how competitive it will be against top time, need to do some more laps but it feels good. It's very stable under acceleration and braking and lets you turn in before the turn and slide in on full throttle without punishing you with a spin right after. Basically it allows you to be really aggressive but keep the car quite smooth. If anybody have tips or tweaks to my setup please do share.

http://s15.postimage.org/o0mhrdeej/F68.png

Marcel Spuehler
21-03-2012, 18:53
Why you driving around with so much of Fuel? It's only useless Ballast ;-)
Then make the Car lower, so your Center of Mass also goes down.

The other things i can't say much, because i also learning how to make a Setup.

JiN
21-03-2012, 18:54
terrible (I mean challenging^^) lighting conditions in this event... but a lot of fun without a doubt :a37:

Just terrible for me ... I'm pass. Will wait for next event. You need to lock shadows to minimum at low to be fair competition !

Sponts
21-03-2012, 19:04
Why you driving around with so much of Fuel? It's only useless Ballast ;-)
Then make the Car lower, so your Center of Mass also goes down.

The other things i can't say much, because i also learning how to make a Setup.

Well yeah, people will have to adjust the fuel, I like to do 5-6 lap runs for practice, 20kg is good for that. Obviously when I am going out to chase the top time I would lower the fuel considerably. Good point about lowering the car, have to watch out though, with very soft springs it might be an issue.

Stepy
21-03-2012, 20:05
I currently 33rd with a 1:55.784
Here's my setup, give it a go if you're having trouble...using no aids except Anti-Lock Brakes.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa58/Sammi723/NewPicture4.jpg this is a good base set-up, (for us xbox 360 pad users) tried it and and got a 1:56.474 i shortened all the gears, reduced rear tyre pressure to same as the front and put the slip preload to 30N changed the steering ratio a few clicks slower and got a 1:55.908

Rob Prange
21-03-2012, 21:11
Just terrible for me ... I'm pass. Will wait for next event. You need to lock shadows to minimum at low to be fair competition !

It's not unrealistic though, several parts of the Nordschleife are covered in shade like this on sunny days for example...it's just an extra challenge. :)

marcelo_morpheus
21-03-2012, 22:50
It's not unrealistic though, several parts of the Nordschleife are covered in shade like this on sunny days for example...it's just an extra challenge. :)

I agree! :a15:

Marcel Spuehler
21-03-2012, 22:52
I don't know what you Guys are doing, but i see only 1.5 probably 2 second's that i can gain in my Lap with better driving...
I think the phrase ist really true: With better driving you can gain 1 Second, but if your Setup is Crap you lose 3 Seconds^^

So for me, i have to invest more Time in the Setup... But im Happy that im Still in the Top200 *g

Roel de Meulder
21-03-2012, 23:23
Same for me, I know how suspension, tires, sway-bars, lsd's work but I have no idea how to make a setup, I think I will do better in restricred-setup challenges.

For me the shaded pieces of the track weren't a problem. Have you guys checked if your monitor is set up right?

Catflavor
21-03-2012, 23:29
I just had to post that I for one am LOVING this event, not just for the fun of the event, but because it's opened my eyes to the graphics and physics just when I was beginning to take it all for granted.

I probably wouldn't have stuck with the '68 or Rouen for more than 10 laps this week, but I am SO glad I put in a few more and really grateful I had sammij6's setup to compare with mine. Now I am driving a car which feels incredible. It's scary and I'm not nearly as quick as the fastest people (I'm in the 1'57"s at the moment), but it does feel amazing. I feel like I've discovered a love for a car that I wanted to enjoy but was worried I'd find impossible.

I'm seriously impressed with how it feels and how it responds to setup changes. And equally impressed with how the motion you see in the suspension and driver's arm movements seems to match the feel. FFB is really good too.

Added to all that I was driving laps just grinning at how amazing the game looks. The car... it's beautiful. I know I am gushing now but the car is a work of art. Seeing it moving on its springs and watching the driver whip the wheel around at the hairpin, seeing shadows cross the chrome dials... I was wide eyed with appreciation. Then I had a little fly round with the outside camera and got looking at the engine... Just wow.

As for the track, yes its bright and patchy with sun and shadow - but that's how a sunny, tree-covered road looks it can be hard to see where you're going. At least in this type of event you know its the same for everyone. And I know I could run it it the morning or dusk or at night and it would look completely different. Again... amazing.

Hats off to the devs. Keep up the incredible work, all of you.

presha
22-03-2012, 00:43
Is this mode or similiar getting into the finished game? I really like it and I wish there were dozens of different scenarios. Something like 'License Tests' in Gran Turismo, but modded a bit. Very competitive :)

btw. I get so frustraded driving this car I'll just pass this event - don't want to throw my pc out of the window :)

JiN
22-03-2012, 05:33
Shadows are not there yet especially for this track, Rob. They need some attention and it's a known issue. One can turn shadows to off and gain unfair advantage. I just choose not to :)

Samuel Miettunen
22-03-2012, 05:47
this is a good base set-up, (for us xbox 360 pad users) tried it and and got a 1:56.474 i shortened all the gears, reduced rear tyre pressure to same as the front and put the slip preload to 30N changed the steering ratio a few clicks slower and got a 1:55.908
Cheers Stephy ;) Will try your hints..

Evildaave
22-03-2012, 17:19
Thanks a bunch Sammij6, with me learning 1st gear turns are really 2nd gear turns and your great setup. I went from the 58s to 55s. Thanks for sharing.

Sponts
22-03-2012, 17:30
Sad thing is that this is more about jumping in and out of track and tweaking the setup rather than practicing and driving around. I gained a second alone just by adjusting gears (couple of clicks here and there) and I know what I have is not the fastest. I can improve another 1-1.5sec with driving but a good setup would give me another 2sec without changing the way I drive.

Neil Hopwood
22-03-2012, 17:40
This could be a good way to get really good setups for the different car/track combos

Monty Brewster
22-03-2012, 19:02
Sad thing is that this is more about jumping in and out of track and tweaking the setup rather than practicing and driving around. I gained a second alone just by adjusting gears (couple of clicks here and there) and I know what I have is not the fastest. I can improve another 1-1.5sec with driving but a good setup would give me another 2sec without changing the way I drive.

I think the base setup isn't bad at all for this combo, practice is the key to a getting good lap time.

I ran the default set with a few standard changes (brake pressure 100, brake bias 47%, 5th gear to minimum, steering ratio 8.3, fuel 7kg) which was good enough for 51's after a few hours pounding out the laps.

ibby
22-03-2012, 20:03
I'm 8 tenths off pace with default setup.. Most of it is probably not setup related but nailing the breaking to the hairpin..
so doubt you guys need to tweak the setup too much already with those times ;)

Cousin Cocaine
22-03-2012, 20:19
I'm 8 tenths off pace with default setup.. Most of it is probably not setup related but nailing the breaking to the hairpin..
so doubt you guys need to tweak the setup too much already with those times ;)

Getting that hairpin right is definitly the hardest part of the track, most of the time I manage it just fine but sometimes I overshoot or brake too early, so that's my lap done for.
My time at sector one (for the record) was 28:8xx I think, I have managed 28:5xx so I figure a final time of 1:50:6-7xx is perfectly possible on this track.
I'm currently first in this event with custom setup (will see if pipeslice will manage to slip by, or someone else maybe) :)

ibby
22-03-2012, 20:29
I just love that part of the track!
I bet every driver has a slightly different approach to breaking there..
One long braking area with progressive braking.. one short break then accelerating again then late hard breaking etc.. :)

Vic Kirby
23-03-2012, 09:51
Is there any advantage in using manual gears over auto if so why?

I've not used manual gears yet, but when in auto I find when turning even a small amount whiles accelerating and the RPM's get to high then the back end gives up all grip. I have also noticed in auto when leaving some corners the car seems to be in the wrong gear.

My time at the moment is 1:53.6

Tiago Fortuna
23-03-2012, 10:13
I tried for half-hour and I can't make it to top 100 :a09:

But I suck at tuning so I basically just lowered the car and took some fuel off... then at some point I run out of it :D. Have to try the setups posted here to see if I can do some 53s...

I'm driving fully manual (for the challenge) and its a lot of fun. The car really behaves amazingly good. How many of you are also doing it as its supposed to?

FLX81
23-03-2012, 11:42
Oh oh... if my nemesis cant even break the Top 100, this doesnt bode well for my own aspirations of pCARS world dominance! :(

Will Fly
23-03-2012, 21:21
seem to be slower since 179 in the f68

ffb it seem to feel more mechanical in the feedback not many changes in ffb when sliding, tyre scrubb seem to have gone, but the sounds are there.

great for oversteer, when the wheel comes back past centre for catching the car when you do slide.

so the wheel is doing what its supposed to do, but just not feeling how it should feel, great in 175

Stefan Hartmann
24-03-2012, 13:10
Question to the Top10-Guys:
What's your topspeed on this track?

Klaus Ellenbrand
24-03-2012, 16:08

278 km/h after turn 1

With the stock gearing the 5th gear is very long, i adjusted it to the shortest setting, final drive not touched.

Marcel Spuehler
24-03-2012, 22:53
ok, i now have a time on Rouen with the F68 that is ok for me :a12: I still see 0.5 seconds that i can save with a better apex. But so it's ok for me at this Time.
Now i have tried the second Event. Gumpert Apollo at Florence Short and i never drove this Car before. And it's simply amazing this car! It's a beast...
Try to improve my Skill to make a better Setup and can go ahead further in the Positions in the Weekly Event's.

For me the weekly Event's are great to learn making Setup's and improve my driving skill. Please SMS send us every Week a new Hotlap Event :a45:

Stefan Hartmann
24-03-2012, 23:43
I have to say I absolutely dislike the way you can drive this car (F68) now.

I wondered why I was several seconds off pace, until I realised that the car is so damn stable now, that you can even turn in at the grass. I gained several tenth in turn 6 (the lefthander) by turning in with the outer wheels on the grass, cut over the grass at the apex an go out on the grass at the exit.
That's just not right. :(

Sponts
25-03-2012, 00:01
It has more grip on the grass cause you are not driving on the slicks, I think. Looking from the videos on the youtube these cars are pretty good on low grip surfaces, back then they did not have perfect tracks like we have now anyway so they were built to handle on the rough. No?

Stefan Hartmann
25-03-2012, 00:10
There is absolutely no way that turning in at the grass is a fast way to go around a corner in real life. Unless maybe, you have a 4wd Rally car. But in track racing? I don't think so.

EDIT:
Maybe it's something wrong with the grass on this track. Doesn't necessarily have to be the cars fault.

EDIT2:
Sorry, this post sounds more rude than it is intended. :)

Tiago Fortuna
25-03-2012, 02:30
Oh oh... if my nemesis cant even break the Top 100, this doesnt bode well for my own aspirations of pCARS world dominance! :(

took me 2h but I am ATM in 69th place. Can't lower from high 54's low 55's fully manual though :(

[edit] Faster on the grass??? WTH? I can't touch grass without having a cut track warning or spinning :(

Stefan Hartmann
25-03-2012, 12:35
You won't get a cut track warning when two of the tires are still on the track. ;)
The other two however can be wherever they want, and unfortunatelly, it turned out to be fast to keep these tires on the grass. :D

Andy Garton
25-03-2012, 12:50
Mods can you start a poll for the hot lap car and track next week please? We have no particular testing needs so any will do.

Sponts
25-03-2012, 12:52
X4 at Bathurst please:D

Steven
25-03-2012, 18:57
Hi Guys!
I am here only 2 days ago, yesterday I was at the 42 position that's not to bad I think after 4hrs of playing :D
I have used the in-car cam (I do not know what the name of it...sorry) when I reset the game the cam was on the wrong position either to high or to low or even the whole track was up side down...I havent noticed more bug......it is in this pre-alfa stage an amazing game!!! Keep up the good work :cool:

Will Fly
25-03-2012, 19:22

170 MPH was running 16th f68

Dan Blamey
26-03-2012, 00:40
Updated first post with second event.

Will Fly
26-03-2012, 18:30
Shadows are not there yet especially for this track, Rob. They need some attention and it's a known issue. One can turn shadows to off and gain unfair advantage. I just choose not to :)

only low for shadows,no off

ibby
26-03-2012, 22:14
51:497 with this setup... Feels like a good compromise :)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7784/setupapolloflorenceshor.jpg

Catflavor
28-03-2012, 11:20
A couple of suggestions for the hot lap events:

1. Please make sure the "restart" points are far enough from the start/finish line to allow you to hit the same speed as you cross the line that you would on a normal hot lap. In Rouen the run up definitely wasn't long enough. It's a bit of a chore having to do a whole lap before anything useful happens.

2. If its possible to save and upload the data for maybe the top 10 current laps, it would be great to be able to see it used in interesting ways (maybe others can think of other uses):

Allow players to choose one of the fastest times to see as a ghost as they drive the event. I thought I was having a novel idea at first, but F1 2010 did this. I wouldn't be surprised if this already being planned ;)
Another option would be to just view those laps in spectator mode, to see what lines other players use (and because the replays are gorgeous, so seeing someone do a great lap and admire the graphics in action would just be cool...)
Another option would be to take the current fastest lap at the end of each day of the event and output it as a youtube video (automatically via replay? or I am sure one of the awesome video makers on here would be able to do a great job). It could make for a good pCARS youtube channel. If enough of us are watching the videos, they might even trend and get us more interest and more members. That one could be a bit labour intensive though :\

OK, so that was four suggestions disguised as two...I'm sorry!

Poldi
29-03-2012, 19:07
51:497 with this setup... Feels like a good compromise :)

Thank you very much for sharing this. I did it in 51:489. This is my setup:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9617/gumfs.jpg

I just changed ride height, bumb stop, rear downforce, brake pressure, fuel load and 6th gear.

Riccardo De Rosa
30-03-2012, 08:50
drive the Gumpert is spectacular. I have a good feeling with it. Sure I'm a bit slow, I take from the first position 01,6xx and I'm in position 87 but the feeling with this car is amazing.

Simon Ashbourne
30-03-2012, 09:21
Perhaps the ranking could indicate dynamically whether we're faster than Jason "Jasnoo" Penny or not.

It's all very well being first, or in the top 10. But that will only ever please 10 people at a time. Despair not, mediocre sim-racers, for we feel your pain! There's a moving target which could bring satisfaction to many! Its name is Jasnoo (http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/profile?user=8601). His presence might bring happiness, or shame depending on his form. In any event he deserves to be highlighted on the list. In hot pink. He'll never know, he's colour blind; oh the serendipity...!

And, uh, apologies for the thread hijack. Very bad form. Super-glad to see an event, my Leonus '68 is calling...

Don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but maybe link this to your online friends list, so you have an overall leaderboard and a friends leaderboard to view.