PDA

View Full Version : Ultra High Detail Glory in Project CARS

Rob Prange
02-02-2012, 17:01
A new preview gallery on our front page shows off the impressive new ultra high detail models as well as the historic driver model:

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/ultra-high-detail-glory-in-project-cars/

SOXY
02-02-2012, 17:04
Don't know if is only me...

But when I click on a image it goes back to home page :confused:

edit: never-mind.. its working fine now.

Gabkicks
02-02-2012, 17:06
Nice photos! yeah it looks like he was editing the website and posting the thread simultaneously :p

YANNLEBLANC
02-02-2012, 17:08
Working now and it's really nice, but you give an ultra detail models on a small photo resolution. 1000X53 it's too small.

Andy Garton
02-02-2012, 17:11
Sorry I've ditched the originals now - I'm sure we should see lots more ultra shots (and better than mine also) in the screenshots thread once tomorrow's build is out though.

wizza
02-02-2012, 17:12
You sure will hehehe :D cant wait .

Sebastalona
02-02-2012, 17:13
The close up shots of the driver are so good!

Umer Ahmad
02-02-2012, 17:14
unreal (well maybe un-unreal)

YANNLEBLANC
02-02-2012, 17:15
ah ok, ;) thx

tjc
02-02-2012, 17:21
This is gonna ROCK!

:cool:

L34D
02-02-2012, 18:04
cO cO Awesome. I thought that ive already had the best detail-option. And you guys make this game more stunning with that graphics. Nice work guys!

nonstickzan
02-02-2012, 18:27
Just FYI the images are named Lotus 49, in case you're worried about that kind of stuff.

KAMPFBIBER81
02-02-2012, 19:37
I just say habahabahabah :)

tyrrel
02-02-2012, 19:48
driver like me.

Rob Prange
02-02-2012, 19:50
Just FYI the images are named Lotus 49, in case you're worried about that kind of stuff.

Good call, fixed.

Mike Laskey
02-02-2012, 19:59
The helmet doesn't look so good/round here: http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2.jpg

kelnor34
02-02-2012, 21:41
Hi all, don't really understand that, for the next build:

"The ultra high detail option allows players to check out their car in unmatched graphical detail that goes down to the smallest nuts and bolts as you can see below".

cause, with DX11.exe, i can play car in ultra details in game option...
So, don't understand what's "new" in the next build???

can i have more explications, if it's possible...
Thanks by advance, and sorry for my poor english.

tjc
02-02-2012, 21:44
The helmet doesn't look so good/round here: http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2.jpg

Just getting a "Forbidden" message with that link Mike...

Rofas
02-02-2012, 22:08
cause, with DX11.exe, i can play car in ultra details in game option...
So, don't understand what's "new" in the next build???

You can but for most cars the Ultra detail did not work including the F68.

kelnor34
02-02-2012, 22:13
Ok, thanks so much, m8

djice
02-02-2012, 22:44
Image capturing tools ready for tommorow... :cool:

C3PO
03-02-2012, 00:11
These images are extraordinary. No other words.

C3PO
03-02-2012, 00:14
Is it worth making clearer in the text accompanying the pictures that these images are in-game shots which players will see when they race in game (if that's the case of course and the setting isn't just for screenshots "out of simulation mode"). Some people might think they are so good that they have to be pre-baked renders. Spelling it out would be good. Maybe "Yes, this is really what you see when you race."

Bromo
03-02-2012, 09:38
A new preview gallery on our front page shows off the impressive new ultra high detail models as well as the historic driver model:

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/ultra-high-detail-glory-in-project-cars/

Thats in game?????? Stagger me.... Amazing.... :a30:

Andy Garton
03-02-2012, 09:51
There is also very little impact on framerate as it only applies to the player car.

Graham Hawkins
03-02-2012, 09:56
There is also very little impact on framerate as it only applies to the player car.

Oh! :( So when you are up the arse end of a L***s, you not get to see all the Ultra loveliness. But sat inside your own car you cant see all the loveliness either ? well not much of it.

Will there be a Mega mode where all other cars are Ultra, or will no PC current or future be able to hack that?

It's just I can see all the haters jumping in and saying it's basically not 'in game', if you'll only really see it in 'photo mode' type situations ??

Matthew Hardwick
03-02-2012, 10:07

Which is why I don't like it being tied to the car detail setting. I get my lowest FPS when I'm on the grid staring at a long row of cars, not from a replay/3rd person close up of my own car...

Andy Garton
03-02-2012, 10:09
There might be a mega mode but really you don't see the extra detail unless you're within a couple of metres (which sometimes you are when racing admittedly!). It would be a cool option I agree.

Maddmatt - I don't follow your point sorry.

Graham Hawkins
03-02-2012, 10:21
you don't see the extra detail unless you're within a couple of metres (which sometimes you are when racing admittedly!). It would be a cool option I agree.

You are frequently if you use 'arcadey' bumper cam like me ;)

Mike Laskey
03-02-2012, 10:31
My link didn't work but it was the helmet in this shot I was referring to. It is very close to the camera so perhaps otherwise would look as great as the rollover bars behind it.

Matthew Hardwick
03-02-2012, 10:36
Maddmatt - I don't follow your point sorry.

Guess I didn't explain properly.
The car detail setting normally controls the distance LODs are swapped, so dropping it to a lower setting reduces the FPS impact from having lots of cars on screen. This seems to make little to no noticeable visual impact but gets rid of the noticeable FPS drop my PC gets at the starting grid.
But by doing this I don't get the LODX model for close-up shots. I wish I could get the LODX model for the player car while keeping the 'car detail' setting at medium.

Could the LODX model only be disabled with the 'low' car detail setting? It doesn't make a difference for gameplay FPS anyway except maybe chase cam.

Big Ron
03-02-2012, 10:38
Maybe you just wait till the free cam and replay mode is completely build up to use full graphic settings independent from what you use for gameplay.

Matthew Hardwick
03-02-2012, 10:42
I didn't know they were planning separate replay graphics options? And I don't see the point...

Big Ron
03-02-2012, 10:53
Nobody knows, if they are planning. It is just a community wish. The point would be, that you wouldnīt need to set ultra graphics in main menu just for making screenshots (close ups) in replay but therefor having low fps while driving. So if you can seperate the replay/ photomode graphics from gameplay, you would be able to make nice shots but still having smooth frames for driving (if you are just ale to set medium quality).

Andy Garton
03-02-2012, 10:54
Guess I didn't explain properly.
The car detail setting normally controls the distance LODs are swapped, so dropping it to a lower setting reduces the FPS impact from having lots of cars on screen. This seems to make little to no noticeable visual impact but gets rid of the noticeable FPS drop my PC gets at the starting grid.
But by doing this I don't get the LODX model for close-up shots. I wish I could get the LODX model for the player car while keeping the 'car detail' setting at medium.

Could the LODX model only be disabled with the 'low' car detail setting? It doesn't make a difference for gameplay FPS anyway except maybe chase cam.
I see what you mean now yes. Possibly we could separate it out but it's more work than you might think so won't happen soon sorry.

Matthew Hardwick
03-02-2012, 10:58
Nobody knows, if they are planning. It is just a community wish. The point would be, that you wouldnīt need to set ultra graphics in main menu just for making screenshots (close ups) in replay but therefor having low fps while driving. So if you can seperate the replay/ photomode graphics from gameplay, you would be able to make nice shots but still having smooth frames for driving (if you are just ale to set medium quality).

I see. But my concern here is what the game looks like when it is running, not about 'fake' graphics for photomode. So I want to see the LODX model in replays/close-up while still having 'car detail' on medium to keep smooth FPS at the starting grid...

I see what you mean now yes. Possibly we could separate it out but it's more work than you might think so won't happen soon sorry.
That's understandable, it's not something that would be a priority now. Just a "nice to have" thing for me :)

Reaper 392
03-02-2012, 12:30
if the difference between LODX and LODA isnt too much, would it be possible to have the ultra setting make cars that are ~4m away keep the LODX detail or something for the highest graphics setting?
that way we could see all that loveliness when we are close to opponent cars but not get too much of a framerate drop over what we have now

what would be great is if there was a setting where the user could change the LOD distances manually, with some sort of picture showing what the car looks like at the transition distance with both LODs

Andy Garton
03-02-2012, 12:34
Yes it's possible, that's what I meant above basically.

Big Ron
03-02-2012, 12:48
...not about 'fake' graphics for photomode.

Itīs not fake-graphics, but best possible graphics for everyone. So every players has the similar chances to make screens and videos independent of the power of his rig.

C3PO
03-02-2012, 12:50
I'm a bit confused now. Is this high ultra setting delivering these visuals when you race or not? In what circumstances are they at this level?

Nua Sidek
03-02-2012, 12:50
Looking forward to this, tailing ur opponent checking out if he's damaged etc but wondering what beast of a machine could run at this mega-mode?

OlivierMDVY
03-02-2012, 12:51
Nice avatar Syaitann ;)

Andy Garton
03-02-2012, 12:53
I'm a bit confused now. Is this high ultra setting delivering these visuals when you race or not? In what circumstances are they at this level?
When you race yes but only on your own car currently.

C3PO
03-02-2012, 12:54
Thanks, understood.

Zulu0001
04-02-2012, 03:25
Wow is the only work needed.......

Dimahoo
04-02-2012, 09:38
This is basically was Forza 4 does isn't it?
Up close the cars are hugely detailed but that level drops off quite rapidly after a certain distance.

I wondered why when i took shots of huge fields of cars with massive zoom that i wasn't really seeing the levels of detail i'd have liked.

Still its always a trade off isn't it?.
You can have 50 car packs and minimal LODS with lots of frames but get close up and personal and you'll take a huge hit.

Prehaps only apply ultra LODs to grids of 15 or less. Anything more and swtich to a medium look LOD mode. That way you can't be accused of faking it with photos, the beta testers like me can sell it to others better (well at least i can, given i'm driving the thread over on our forum), and you'll get a fair trade off with framerates in game.
just a thought...

Ian Bell
04-02-2012, 09:54
This is basically was Forza 4 does isn't it?
Up close the cars are hugely detailed but that level drops off quite rapidly after a certain distance.

I wondered why when i took shots of huge fields of cars with massive zoom that i wasn't really seeing the levels of detail i'd have liked.

Still its always a trade off isn't it?.
You can have 50 car packs and minimal LODS with lots of frames but get close up and personal and you'll take a huge hit.

Prehaps only apply ultra LODs to grids of 15 or less. Anything more and swtich to a medium look LOD mode. That way you can't be accused of faking it with photos, the beta testers like me can sell it to others better (well at least i can, given i'm driving the thread over on our forum), and you'll get a fair trade off with framerates in game.
just a thought...

No, Forza loads it only in the front end and the pre race cinematic (and photo mode of course). Ours is there all the time, while driving.

Dimahoo
04-02-2012, 10:53
Ah right. Fair enough. Yeah, looking at the 360 version the in-games cars defo. use a lower LOD.

I must admit i'd been using the freecam mode to take photos of the cars with my favorite decals. Because i never knew which colour was what i didn't actually use my car for the photos - instead just zooming around in pause finding the car with the most colourful paintjob and then taking photos of that.
I had to explain to one person via PM as to why the LOD for the 68' looked similar to a previous photos to which i argued...
"well they've changed the LOD"
"no they ain't"
"they have...look you can see the nuts"
"but you can see the nuts here too"
"but these nuts are better"
etc...

Big Ron
04-02-2012, 10:58
At some detail level, you wouldnīt be able to differ, if a 3d model consists of 500 k or 700k, because the subdivision of details is already that high, that is makes nearly no difference. That happens in some cases already with pCARS from a specific view distance: you canīt neary see, which LOD-level it is (from 15m; A or X). You see it only, if you get very close up to the bolts, which makes the difference then.

But using LOD-levels is quite normal for every game. It just differs in how detailed they are.

Ross Siggers
04-02-2012, 14:53
In Forza 4, when in photo mode, you can fly around to the far end of the pack, focus on a car, and visually see (at least the reflections) kick up a notch.

Maybe in pCARS when the free cam is developed into a proper photo booth mode, you could alter the LoDs depending upon where the camera is focused. Tap to focus and it'll rearrange the LoDs accordingly.

Priit Vork
04-02-2012, 14:54
Perhaps we should organize weekly themed photo contests?

Ross Siggers
04-02-2012, 16:23
I like that idea! :D

Alex White
04-02-2012, 17:04
I wonder if it would be possible in photomode to jack up all the details and practically render a photo?
--

you would go into photomode and pick an angle, shutter speed.. (Stuff like that) then you clcik on the 'take photo' button .. and instead of taking a screenshot, it renders at a much higher res, with all the ultra LODS, and high res shadows. I don't know how it would render stuff quickly with out showing stuff on screen..

Pugamall
04-02-2012, 17:06
Used as my cover picture on facebook now, shows it off a bit :rolleyes:

Howie_2012
04-02-2012, 17:13
I wonder if it would be possible in photomode to jack up all the details and practically render a photo?
--

you would go into photomode and pick an angle, shutter speed.. (Stuff like that) then you clcik on the 'take photo' button .. and instead of taking a screenshot, it renders at a much higher res, with all the ultra LODS, and high res shadows. I don't know how it would render stuff quickly with out showing stuff on screen..

Posted a thread a while ago about something similar.
Really hope they consider these things as their engine is so beautiful and going to kick everyone arse ;)

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?1222-High-Quality-Rendered-Replay

Ross Siggers
04-02-2012, 17:15
--

Already discussed. But that's what forza does when you're using photomode while in a race. Personally I can't take photos in that game without using the 'bigshot' feature to really eek out the magnificent details! :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4259709/screenshots/Forza%204%20bigshots/ForzaBigshot%203.jpg

Dimahoo
04-02-2012, 20:50
The only downside is that "faking it" element. I don't know about some of you but whilst i'm testing this, AFAIK, i'm also the only tester from my forum (which is quite well known too - rllmuk, formally from UK's Edge Magazines old forum until it restarted).

I suppose a photomode is alright but i think people (well okay..the hardcore simmers) will react badly if they saw endless renders before the games release and then found the game not quite up to the same quality. (I dunno, i'm not the one with my head on the block here....i already think this game is great!). Thats my point about that.

As it is i can sell it because the detail levels look pretty good. Its only really a problem when your going long zooms (like on Bathursts straight).
The panning FOV and bukoh is lovely but the cars don't have much detail.
Mid range isn't so bad, but focus on the cars (even without ultra) and you can make it look good.

So i suppose what i'm asking is is there a way to make the long zoom car detail look better. Basically can ultra mode be made to work on long pans where your zooming in from a long way to the point where your close(ish) to the car.
That way you keep the attributes a long pan gives, such as Bukoh and interesting FOV's.

It may already be in the pipeline...and i've missed it.

*edit*
actually...just done a TT and tried it with freecam and it doesn't look as bad as i first thought with your car.
Does a long zoom give you ultra mode LOD?

Ross Siggers
04-02-2012, 21:16
shadows look bad when zooming, it scales their resolution. So if you want a realistic looking shot zoomed in from afar, the shadows will suffer

Big Ron
05-02-2012, 10:20
The only downside is that "faking it" element. I don't know about some of you but whilst i'm testing this, AFAIK, i'm also the only tester from my forum (which is quite well known too - rllmuk, formally from UK's Edge Magazines old forum until it restarted).

I suppose a photomode is alright but i think people (well okay..the hardcore simmers) will react badly if they saw endless renders before the games release and then found the game not quite up to the same quality. (I dunno, i'm not the one with my head on the block here....i already think this game is great!). Thats my point about that.

As long as it keeps the quality of ultra-settings, you canīt call it fake, because it is still what is possible ingame. Why not giving players with less powerful rig the chance to make as beautiful shots as those with high-end-PCs? No need to favor the shots from high-end-PCs while laughing about those, who arenīt able to go over low or medium settings.

Dimahoo
05-02-2012, 11:41
Yeah, thats a fair point. I was trying to avert the usual "fake" shot syndrome but to be fair, i don't have to post those kinda shots anyway. I'm just trying to represent the game in the best possible light, but without having to resort to photo mode shots which the game cannot draw in real time (and as pointed out if its only your car, you won't see it in game but hopefully the devs will work towards this, preahps once the optimisations are done.).
Its not my position to worry about that of course, but at the same time you want to do your bit towards the game's success where you can.
Its not so much taking the term "beta tester" to PR rep, but i'm the only one on my forum following it to any degree right now.

Howie_2012
05-02-2012, 11:53
Or we just like rendering cool shiz!
;)

But honestly, most gaming PCs in a year will be able to handle these shots in game.
And of course, the key word is OPTIONS...gimmie ;)

loxx31
17-02-2012, 12:37
I have a crash everry time when ultra high detail is on. In High mode, it works very well with 50fps.:confused:

Remco Van Dijk
17-02-2012, 12:42
I have a crash everry time when ultra high detail is on. In High mode, it works very well with 50fps.:confused:
Your signature is mightily difficult to read :), but AMD GPUs don't go well with Ultra shadows at the moment. This will be fixed.