PDA

View Full Version : Just Two Days Left In The Eurogamer Hotlap Challenge!

Rob Prange
14-12-2011, 15:28
With just two days to go in the Eurogamer Hotlap Challenge, the fight for the top spot of the ranking is heating up.

Currently, the top 8 are separated by less than 1.3 seconds. For more, please check out the frontpage story:

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/just-two-days-left-in-the-eurogamer-hotlap-competition/

Graine de Pilote
14-12-2011, 15:29
Too bad I'm only on the second page of the ranking!

DCLXVI
14-12-2011, 18:20
I still wonder how to even faster than 1:16. I must have left the handbrake on :D

Thibaud21
14-12-2011, 18:26
I'm exactly like you DCLXVI, i play with a gamepad and can't reach 1.16 :a11:
EDIT : OMG, the game really don't want me under the 1:16 --> i just do a 1:16.075 lap :a22:

cluck
14-12-2011, 18:46
I still wonder how to even faster than 1:16. I must have left the handbrake on :DThat's what I thought, but I kept plugging away at it, constantly trying to go a bit faster. I am under no illusions that I'm not going to take the top spot, but I know I can move up at least 2 places if I just do the lap that I know I'm capable of - I can take each corner, individually, faster than I seem to take them as a whole on my lap. I just try too hard when it comes to the lap itself and I keep telling myself to relax. Maybe tonight will be the night :D.

Ross Siggers
14-12-2011, 18:55
I was racing last week when the patch came out, at the same time my friend was racing over at his place. We were chatting and comparing times and setups over steam. That really motivated me to push, I reckon we both earned a good .5 of a second because of that session ;)

DCLXVI
14-12-2011, 19:56
I'm exactly like you DCLXVI, i play with a gamepad and can't reach 1.16

errr wheel here :a09:

sagedavid
15-12-2011, 01:00
I just try to forget this Caterham... but you can have a look to the LM11 and formula B podiums ;)

Matmac0013
15-12-2011, 14:57
Hello, I have the time ranked 2nd 1.13.1XX and I do not think I could improve my time. I think I know the worst place won a trip there in your office.

Thibaud21
15-12-2011, 15:16
To DCLXVI, 1:15:6**... really sorry for u :a43: really hard !
I'm thinking of buying a stearing wheel, i never hate my gamepad like this before :p

DCLXVI
15-12-2011, 15:33
After more setuping I have a 1:15.6xx

I really can't do more. I even played with pedal sensitivity setting. Lowered graphics everything to off or low (so between 30FPS and 60FPS this is a different game, I can tell).

I even tried to cut the two chicanes by going straight (time does not count then) and that's the only way I could get below 1:13.

Played with setup a lots, I can't get that floaty feel the car has, it never has good grip it's always sliding a little bit, looses traction often.
I'd love to see the setup used for a 1:12.6

Dartguy
15-12-2011, 17:03
After more setuping I have a 1:15.6xx

I really can't do more. I even played with pedal sensitivity setting. Lowered graphics everything to off or low (so between 30FPS and 60FPS this is a different game, I can tell).

I even tried to cut the two chicanes by going straight (time does not count then) and that's the only way I could get below 1:13.

Played with setup a lots, I can't get that floaty feel the car has, it never has good grip it's always sliding a little bit, looses traction often.
I'd love to see the setup used for a 1:12.6

Same here, and the replay.

Robertus
15-12-2011, 17:20
I also have lap time around 1:15:6xx and it's my best of the best. Can't do even 0.1 sec more. Few weeks, playing with setups and nothing :)
Grip of this car is very strange. Even at 40kmh when you turn your wheels you can see they loose the grip! Something wrong here.

bigsilverhotdog
15-12-2011, 21:46
Not smart to do a hotlap competition with an easily exploited and very rough alpha build. This contributor doesn't approve, as CARS is far too broken for him to even practise, much less tune a garage setup.

cluck
15-12-2011, 22:21
I've just taken another 0.1s off my fastest lap, but it's taken 2 nights (including racing until gone 1.30am last night!) of laps to do it. I'm exhausted now but I still know there's a bit more to come IF only I tried again. Maybe only another tenth or two, so not enough to move up the table any further.

For what it's worth, these are the only settings I changed :-

Fuel Loaded : 6
Steering Lock : 0.48
5th gear ratio : about 2 notches to the right of the standard setting

That's it, all the other settings are the defaults that the car is loaded with.

Micas
15-12-2011, 23:59
There is over a half second difference between first and second. That's an eternity for a single lap. Looks like we're springing for tickets from Brazil..

Unless the French guy can keep at it.. come on man!

jimimonet
16-12-2011, 02:21
Might for the challange winner to share his/her setup so we mere mortals can try it and learn.

Eric Zehnder
16-12-2011, 03:36
I'd like to see setups easily downloaded from top times for the mortals to try out. I figured out F1 2011's setups but so far haven't seen changes when I make changes to setups in pCARS.

cluck
16-12-2011, 09:06
... but so far haven't seen changes when I make changes to setups in pCARS.Odd that you can't see/feel any differences. Last night, for instance, I was consistently lapping 0.3-0.5s off my best time. I went to the setup, changed the brake balance (biased a tiny bit more to the front) and within a few laps had set my new fastest time. Certainly, if I mess around with toe, camber etc, I can feel the car behaving very differently in corners and I can make it an absolute pig to drive.

I'm far from a hardcore sim driver by the way, rather I 'play' driving games/sims for fun and relaxation and this is the first time I've entered a hotlap compo. It's been fun learning the course and learning the characteristics of the Caterham and I genuinely felt 'at home' with the car last night after tweaking that brake bias. To me, it felt natural and pleasurable to drive :).

Craig Martin
16-12-2011, 10:12
Can we get Ben to post a lap just out of interest......?

cluck
16-12-2011, 10:53
Can we get Ben to post a lap just out of interest......?Although I love this idea, I can't help but think it might show all of us how poor we are in comparison :D.

Craig Martin
16-12-2011, 11:03
I haven't got a problem with looking poor at the side of a pro driver. He probably has more to fear in case he can only do a 1:16 or something. :)

Remco Van Dijk
16-12-2011, 11:13
IIRC Felipe Massa was also being beaten big-time in Ferrari Virtual Academy by people who never sat in a real race car? IMHO being a great real-life race driver doesn't mean you'll do good playing a computer game unless you have or build up affinity with the quirks and limitations of such a computer game. Even though race sims can be judged to be accurate in a number of ways, IMHO there's a world of difference between real-life racing and armchair racing ;)

cluck
16-12-2011, 11:55
IIRC Felipe Massa was also being beaten big-time in Ferrari Virtual Academy by people who never sat in a real race car? IMHO being a great real-life race driver doesn't mean you'll do good playing a computer game unless you have or build up affinity with the quirks and limitations of such a computer game. Even though race sims can be judged to be accurate in a number of ways, IMHO there's a world of difference between real-life racing and armchair racing ;)Fair point :). I also guess very few of us would have the courage to drive, in real life, the way we do in the virtual world.

Remco Van Dijk
16-12-2011, 12:05
Fair point :). I also guess very few of us would have the courage to drive, in real life, the way we do in the virtual world.
Yeah, the way I set my current record in the Racer V8 at bathurst I would absolutely not dare to replicate in real life :eek:

Will Fly
21-12-2011, 19:10
my time are still not showing

help please

Will Fly
21-12-2011, 19:11
Fair point :). I also guess very few of us would have the courage to drive, in real life, the way we do in the virtual world.

in my kart i do lol

Graine de Pilote
22-12-2011, 08:07
my time are still not showing
help please If you are talking about the Catheram Eurogamer hotlap competition, it's normal the competition is ended since last friday.

Will Fly
22-12-2011, 16:54
thats a good reason thanks lol

Eric Zehnder
22-12-2011, 18:05
I happen to get more joy out of comparing my virtual lap times to a real life lap time than comparing my virtual laps to a pro's virtual laps. This is why I really wish I had GT5 or Forza 4 with their road cars and Top Gear Test Track. :(