PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the Eurogamer Hot Lap Competition!

Andy Tudor
02-12-2011, 10:54
A new Build (106) is now available to all members, and with it comes a very special addition...

In association with our friends at Eurogamer, we're announcing the very first Hot Lap Competition! Be the fastest driver at the special Eurogamer Connecticut Hill Short circuit in a Caterham R500 Superlight in two weeks time and you'll get to visit the Slightly Mad Studios office in London, England to design your dream track with the team!

More details on the front page (http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/announcing-the-eurogamer-hot-lap-competition/) and the event starts at 3pm GMT TODAY!

Big Ron
02-12-2011, 10:59
Wow, so this is a great offering und surprise.

Priit Vork
02-12-2011, 11:00
Just an invite or all expenses paid trip?

Craig Martin
02-12-2011, 11:03
for some of our Australian members, that could be one hell of a prize!! :)

Thomas Einoeder
02-12-2011, 11:05
Cool thing! :)

So I think, the Caterham on Connecticut Hill Short will be the most driven car/track combo for the next two weeks. ;)

Goran Johansson
02-12-2011, 11:09
crap. Now I have to take time off work for two weeks. :crushed:

Ian Bell
02-12-2011, 11:14
for some of our Australian members, that could be one hell of a prize!! :)

Yup we're covering the bus costs all the way :)

Ian Bell
02-12-2011, 11:15
Just an invite or all expenses paid trip?

Travel and accommodation will be covered.

speed1
02-12-2011, 11:19
I know who wins this and it wasnt me :a17:

Dan Blamey
02-12-2011, 11:21
Better forewarn your workplace and girlfriends/wives/partners peoples, this is far too important to waste time with trivial things like family and work :a45:

All the best everyone, the Caterham is fantastic fun :)

Slawomir Wiszczor
02-12-2011, 11:27
Would be nice to see the studio, is it based somewhere around the Tower Bridge?

Machinaea
02-12-2011, 11:27
Wow!

Wish I was a better driver though, I really doubt my chances against you more experienced drivers :)

speed1
02-12-2011, 11:28
@Dan Blamey
Better forewarn your workplace and girlfriends/wives/partners peoples, this is far too important to waste time with trivial things like family and work

Than i must close my Garage,Shop and office cut all dull things and drive but i wouldnt like that you all cry :D

Thomas Einoeder
02-12-2011, 11:29
Wow!

Wish I was a better driver though, I really doubt my chances against you more experienced drivers :)

The most important thing is not to win but to take part! :)

Simon Kaminski
02-12-2011, 11:33
If i werent slow like a snail then I would have a change D:

Mike Laskey
02-12-2011, 11:35
Would be nice to see the studio, is it based somewhere around the Tower Bridge?

Yes, 5 minutes walk from there (depending on which side of the bridge you start from!)

Graine de Pilote
02-12-2011, 11:40
What are the rules regarding the level of driving helps?

FLX81
02-12-2011, 11:41
Wow, just wow! Such a nice surprise! Shame I wont have a new computer in the next 2 weeks so I cant even have a go... :(

nivam
02-12-2011, 11:46
Yes, 5 minutes walk from there (depending on which side of the bridge you start from!)

Give us google map coordinates, in order to understand on which side of the bridge we are... :)

Megasoum
02-12-2011, 11:54
Travel and accommodation will be covered.

Hmmm...Good to know considering that the Eurogamer says the opposite!

Quote from the rules on the Eurogamer website:

Eurogamer and Slightly Mad will not be able to cover travel or accommodation costs for the studio visit

Ian Bell
02-12-2011, 11:57
Hmmm...Good to know considering that the Eurogamer says the opposite!

Quote from the rules on the Eurogamer website:

Oops :)

We'll fix that.

Goran Johansson
02-12-2011, 12:04
Yup we're covering the bus costs all the way :)

You mean Boat
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm98/brunnjon/Rowboat-1.jpg

Sebastalona
02-12-2011, 12:05
Better forewarn your workplace and girlfriends/wives/partners peoples, this is far too important to waste time with trivial things like family and work :a45:

All the best everyone, the Caterham is fantastic fun :)I have been doing that the last 8 years mate, last time i left my wheel was when my son was 2 and now he is 8. Racing first, motorsports, footy and then family.

Reaper 392
02-12-2011, 13:16
ahh man, i've got 4 assignments due in in a few weeks time, so i've got almost no time to do this comp properly :(
i'd love to meet all of you at SMS, and designing your own track sounds really fun (although i'd probably be rubbish at it)

Slawomir Wiszczor
02-12-2011, 13:20
Give us google map coordinates, in order to understand on which side of the bridge we are... :)

Is it possible to visit the studio on my own cost?

Andy Tudor
02-12-2011, 14:39
Don't forget to tweet your times with the hashtags #SlightlyMadTeam, #WMDCars, and #Eurogamer. And stick your fastest laps on YouTube for bragging rights ;)

Umer Ahmad
02-12-2011, 15:10
I know you guys were Mad, but this is Nutz! This project is one of the few things in life where we're being (greatly) rewarded for simply doing what we already enjoy. Much thanks.

Evgeny Cheremovskiy
02-12-2011, 15:10
So, if someone from SMS (I didn't say Andy Garton :a26:) wins the contest, will he/she visit the studio? :a15: Or maybe not to visit the studio for one working day? :a39:

Viktor Kolomiets
02-12-2011, 15:15
So, if someone from SMS (I didn't say Andy Garton :a26:) wins the contest, will he/she visit the studio? :a15: Or maybe not to visit the studio for one working day? :a39:

The competition is closed to SMS and Eurogamer employees, besides only Dom D from SMS could possibly win it :)

Andy Garton
02-12-2011, 15:20
The competition is closed to SMS and Eurogamer employees...
Damn, looks like I'll have to use my Hugh Jengine alias.

Priit Vork
02-12-2011, 15:51
Now it says "Slightly Mad will be able to cover travel or accommodation costs for the studio visit for UK entrants."
Hmm, doesnt sound like anyone outside of UK can really enter unless they have big wallets.

Ian Bell
02-12-2011, 15:52
Now it says "Slightly Mad will be able to cover travel or accommodation costs for the studio visit for UK entrants."
Hmm, doesnt sound like anyone outside of UK can really enter unless they have big wallets.

That's a mistake. We're covering costs regardless of where you come from.

Karsten Kremer
02-12-2011, 15:55
Database seems to be away (for me)...connect to db and login is not very stable

Micas
02-12-2011, 19:18

Wow.. that's a huge deal. But you know, Ian, I don't fly coach... :greedy_dollars:

... there's about a zero percent chance I could win this with all these Europeans and South Americans competing, but it certainly is going to be intense.

speed1
02-12-2011, 19:52
Wow.. that's a huge deal. But you know, Ian, I don't fly coach... :greedy_dollars:

... there's about a zero percent chance I could win this with all these Europeans and South Americans competing, but it certainly is going to be intense.

My chance are under zero percent Micas :D But i will give them a try out so i go and seat in a R500 and fasten the seat belt go on full throttle and let the rubber smell. I will see if i can drive english cars with so much charisma and drop-top feeling ;)

Ricxs
02-12-2011, 20:35

There are some posts on the Eurogamer blog saying "not much of a prize when I got to pay out to get there". Eurogamer should clear this up as it's putting people off trying it.

Matthew Hardwick
03-12-2011, 00:20
I have no chance of winning this, which probably isn't a bad thing since I'll be useless at track design.
Still, I'll try :p

Ross Siggers
03-12-2011, 01:56
I have tons of track ideas floating about, but alas, I'm whole seconds off the winning pace, on a good day :/

WallyM
03-12-2011, 05:42
Question: Do the setups actually work? I have saved different gear final drive ratio setups at both extremes, and they make no difference at all to the gearing.

Edit: I was saving to Connecticut Hill Short and it wasn't picking up my setup. But when I saved to 'All' then it started using my setup.

Mike Laskey
03-12-2011, 07:15
Question: Do the setups actually work? I have saved different gear final drive ratio setups at both extremes, and they make no difference at all to the gearing.

Edit: I was saving to Connecticut Hill Short and it wasn't picking up my setup. But when I saved to 'All' then it started using my setup.

It's configured as a separate "eurogamer hot lap" track , so you need to save to that one (which is why 'All' works but 'Connecticut Hill Short' does not.

Mark Silcock
03-12-2011, 07:43
I have tons of track ideas floating about, but alas, I'm whole seconds off the winning pace, on a good day :/

Start a thread with your ideas, why do you need a competition to contribute to a community based project>? :P I am sure others have some great ideas too.

And thinking about it, wouldn't a competition for the best track idea be better than the fastest lap. I wouldn't have a clue how to design an interesting track even if I was fast enough. That R500 is like driving on ice! :P

philmcphil
03-12-2011, 09:48
Thatīs a good news ........... A challenge !!!! ;)

Captain Crunch
03-12-2011, 09:58
This is completely AWESOME in every possible way I can imagine. By the way amazing job on the new build guys I'm amazed.

FLX81
03-12-2011, 10:40
Start a thread with your ideas, why do you need a competition to contribute to a community based project>? :P I am sure others have some great ideas too.

And thinking about it, wouldn't a competition for the best track idea be better than the fastest lap. I wouldn't have a clue how to design an interesting track even if I was fast enough. That R500 is like driving on ice! :P

^This! Fast drivers dont necessarily design great circuits! But great circuit designers do, even though they might be slo on track... Not talkin bout meeself here tho, just to make that clear! :p

Big Ron
03-12-2011, 10:54
Yeah, a design competition would also fit much better to me. But I am happy with my top10 lap, for now.

Dan Blamey
03-12-2011, 11:33
Ah but a hot lap competition gets more people playing the game ;)

krivjur
03-12-2011, 12:50
How are the different builds going to be handled, any physics, setup changes coming in 2 weeks? I didn't see this mentioned. Can you post laps with every build, or does only 106 work?

Stefan Hartmann
03-12-2011, 13:48
^This! Fast drivers dont necessarily design great circuits! But great circuit designers do, even though they might be slo on track... Not talkin bout meeself here tho, just to make that clear! :p
I guess this hotlap competition is to make the game more interesting until there is a proper multiplayer mode.
The track design thing is just a prize. I don't think there is an urgent need to make someone design a racetrack. ;)

I like the competition, and I like the prize as well. Should be interesting to visit SMS.
I just wonder:
-what if the winners dream track is the Nurburgring Nordschleife. :D

As I read it, the track doesn't have to be fictional. ;) Maybe it's not even meant to be..

Scott Coffey
03-12-2011, 14:30
It's a shame that this first public offering features one of the worst handling cars in the current stable. I don't think we put our best foot forward here.

Edit: Not only that, but I feel like we offered the wrong prize. I don't see how the skills of going fast around a track equate to being able to design one. To me, a smarter prize would have been a top-quality wheel setup. It would have cost much less, but would have been a more appropriate prize for a hot-lap competition and probably would have generated just as much interest. A track design prize would have been more appropriate for some sort of artistic based competition.

Maybe it would be a good idea for future promotions to get some feedback from the group. I doubt we would have come up with this particular promotion... i.e. race our worst car around the track for a chance to spend a ton of money accommodating the winner in an endeavor he probably won't excel at.

Sorry for the negative rant, but it's how I see it.

Dillyracer
03-12-2011, 14:36
Not going to have much chance since I suck at making my own setups. But it's still good fun and definately something this game can use to make the game more known.

Dazmaniac
03-12-2011, 19:41
It does indeed get more playing, which is good.

But IMO, there will be a much smaller percentage of subscribers realistically in with a chance of posting the best time via a hotlap than there would be if SMS opened up a track design competition to all members.

Micas
03-12-2011, 20:09
How are the different builds going to be handled, any physics, setup changes coming in 2 weeks? I didn't see this mentioned. Can you post laps with every build, or does only 106 work?

This.. is an issue. A big one. Hopefully there has been some thought put into it, because the juniors aren't going to be able to get a new build with which to compete in.

I'm also going to whine a bit about the concept of the competition. First, it was a complete surprise and I was hoping that this sort of thing was going to be within the purview of the community feedback. It's very generous to offer to pay expenses, but the winner may not even want to, or be able to, take a trip to London. The cost may well exceed a couple thousand dollars if the winner is coming from, say Brazil or Japan. They may not speak English.

I assume the expenses are being applied to the production cost of the game - and the investors (and by "investors" I mean me) were not told about it before hand. I would have suggested a prize give-away.. something like a piece of hardware for a PC, or a wheel or something. The community would probably have been just as enthused to compete, and other people who have not yet signed up might have been more inclined to sign up for a chance to win a GTX580 (as an example) then a trip to London. It probably would have cost less.

And I agree that having the competition involve the newest car to the game was not.. the best course of action. It's like you're saying "here, sign up for WMD, compete to win a trip to London, and here's the worst driving car in the game for you to do it with". Not good.

In other words.. it's the best of intentions, but the execution seems not quite right.

TheJay
03-12-2011, 20:19
All I know is that if I win, my track will have at least one loop-d-loop. :a21:

Matthew Hardwick
03-12-2011, 20:22
Yea I'm in agreement with Micas here. Should have used a car where the physics are more mature, like one of the Radicals. Making people drive the Caterham will make them think the physics are supposed to be like this, not the best impression for new members.

DCLXVI
03-12-2011, 20:56
I agree with Micas and Maddmatt.

People subscribing just after seeing that offer, and trying the Caterham for the first time with its default setup, may have a bad opinion about the game.

Of course the setup can be modified, but maybe a more balanced setup for this car would have been a better advertisement.

Hopefully some cars are better in the build so they might end up trying them too. ;)

Dan Blamey
03-12-2011, 21:22
This.. is an issue. A big one. Hopefully there has been some thought put into it, because the juniors aren't going to be able to get a new build with which to compete in.

I'm also going to whine a bit about the concept of the competition. First, it was a complete surprise and I was hoping that this sort of thing was going to be within the purview of the community feedback. It's very generous to offer to pay expenses, but the winner may not even want to, or be able to, take a trip to London. The cost may well exceed a couple thousand dollars if the winner is coming from, say Brazil or Japan. They may not speak English.

I assume the expenses are being applied to the production cost of the game - and the investors (and by "investors" I mean me) were not told about it before hand. I would have suggested a prize give-away.. something like a piece of hardware for a PC, or a wheel or something. The community would probably have been just as enthused to compete, and other people who have not yet signed up might have been more inclined to sign up for a chance to win a GTX580 (as an example) then a trip to London. It probably would have cost less.

And I agree that having the competition involve the newest car to the game was not.. the best course of action. It's like you're saying "here, sign up for WMD, compete to win a trip to London, and here's the worst driving car in the game for you to do it with". Not good.

In other words.. it's the best of intentions, but the execution seems not quite right.

I have checked with SMS and the car and track will not change for the duration of the contest, left to Ian's discretion of course....

WallyM
03-12-2011, 21:36
I actually find the Caterham one of the better driving cars, straight out of the box. If the car was either Asano, I would have thought "Erk". If the car was one of the Radicals, I would have thought "Zzzzzzz". If the car was the Leonus 68 or the Caterham, I would have thought :a44:

As exceedingly generous as the prize is, I would in truth prefer something like a new wheel or new PC hardware.

Big Ron
03-12-2011, 21:37
The cost may well exceed a couple thousand dollars if the winner is coming from, say Brazil or Japan. They may not speak English.

I assume the expenses are being applied to the production cost of the game - and the investors (and by "investors" I mean me) were not told about it before hand.

Huuh...SMS isnīt that small developer, that they have just as much money as they have received from the community for pCARS. The costs for the winner travel could be covered by SMS budget directly and not from the budget which is available for pCARS.

Micas
03-12-2011, 22:21
Huuh...SMS isnīt that small developer, that they have just as much money as they have received from the community for pCARS. The costs for the winner travel could be covered by SMS budget directly and not from the budget which is available for pCARS.

You could well be right, but typically any business expense related to the promotion of the project would be charged the project budget. At least that's how I would do it.

I've thought about this a bit more, and I think I came off as if I were demanding to know how Ian is spending pCARS budget just because I own a piece of it. That's rather arrogant, and I only own a bit over 1% of the game anyway. It's not my place to get involved in that type of business decision. I'm sure SMS will be able to ensure that whoever wins has a good experience with it, whether they travel to London or not.

Umer Ahmad
04-12-2011, 00:08
i thought the same things as you guys: a. why this car? b. inappropriate prize? c. who's really funding this in the end?

but then the purpose is to generate excitement and it has accomplished that so IMO the ends justify the means.

Mark Silcock
04-12-2011, 00:35

So would an invite to a track day at Watkins Glen in the R500 :P obviously that's a bigger prize but something similar would be more fitting to a hot lap comp.

I agree with some of the other guys, use the polls and let us have a say on these things. Its a great surprise and a great prize but I think more thought needs to be put into these decisions.

I definitely think a track designing comp with the prize of having the track in the game would be good for the community as well. As long as it is managed better than the logo comp.

Omar6627
04-12-2011, 07:48
Thumbs up if you can't complete this track faster than 1:20 (like me) :D

Big Ron
04-12-2011, 08:29
I for myself find this competition ok. I am not the fastest and maybe never reach the time of the first one. But hey, I tried it. On the other hand I know, that there will be some more competitions fitting to other preference than just racing. So keep cool guys.

speed1
04-12-2011, 09:17
Hey guys what is better than visit SMS and see how they work on this hot stuff. And to see how things go. To meet some guys of the SMS team is really intresting too. I have so much questions and things in my mind where i search answers for that im to be glad if i can win that but with the event car i havent any chance to win because controle the virtual caterham fast is near impossible. its really the wrong car for do something like that so SMS dont be fear i cant win it ;)

Andy Garton
04-12-2011, 09:18
Hi guys, to explain a couple of things and give some personal thoughts:

We thought using the Caterham would be cool as it's a new car and everybody would be starting from the same point with it, so new members wouldn't be at a disadvantage. With hindsight it was probably the wrong call, especially as it turned out with the late tyre changes we made. We're confident these are/will be an improvement but for sure we're not there yet. We're going to do a patch, probably available on Monday, that will be available to all members and will hopefully improve the handling significantly (mainly via changes to the default setup, so you'll need to reset back to defaults when you get it). It's not ideal as we wanted to lock the car and track for the duration of the competition so nobody "wastes" time on a prior version, but on balance we think this is the best route to take now.

On the prize - I also agree with hindsight this wasn't the best choice. There are a couple of factors behind it that I can't go into here unfortunately but I definitely think in future we should look at the option of simpler "material" prizes, like a nice wheel setup. I also agree that the "design a track" idea would make a cracking competition in itself and I'd love to see what people can come up with.

So yes, as Micas said - definitely all done with the best intentions but the execution wasn't optimal. Believe me I'm disappointed about this as well as we've put a lot of effort into it and hoped it would be a really positive and appreciated "surprise". We've learned from it though and will do better next time :)

LiLFaF
04-12-2011, 09:26
I agree ,thanks for your solution(via a patch):cool:

speed1
04-12-2011, 09:28

We thought using the Caterham would be cool as it's a new car and everybody would be starting from the same point with it, so new members wouldn't be at a disadvantage. With hindsight it was probably the wrong call, especially as it turned out with the late tyre changes we made. We're confident these are/will be an improvement but for sure we're not there yet. We're going to do a patch, probably available on Monday, that will be available to all members and will hopefully improve the handling significantly (mainly via changes to the default setup, so you'll need to reset back to defaults when you get it). It's not ideal as we wanted to lock the car and track for the duration of the competition so nobody "wastes" time on a prior version, but on balance we think this is the best route to take now.

On the prize - I also agree with hindsight this wasn't the best choice. There are a couple of factors behind it that I can't go into here unfortunately but I definitely think in future we should look at the option of simpler "material" prizes, like a nice wheel setup. I also agree that the "design a track" idea would make a cracking competition in itself and I'd love to see what people can come up with.

So yes, as Micas said - definitely all done with the best intentions but the execution wasn't optimal. Believe me I'm disappointed about this as well as we've put a lot of effort into it and hoped it would be a really positive and appreciated "surprise". We've learned from it though and will do better next time :)

Come on guys its all ok and a very nice idea i was really pleased if i can win it but i cant and i hope that the winner enjoyed his price too. And i dont would like prices like a toy.

edit: get hardware thats typical for human thinking material
edit: sometimes it can be frustrated when you do all you can but people dont like it or want it. Dont lose your motivation please its all ok how they goes but as suggestion give the people more information about details out. And isnt it possible to give special feedback per car in his own thread for you guys where you can define questions about from your side ?

Evgeny Cheremovskiy
04-12-2011, 09:34
I am not disappointed at all, I didn't expect any events at such an early stage of development, so this contest is a good surprise for me regardless its execution. The prize is also very good, visiting London alone is worthy not to mention visiting the studio and seeing some of you guys. If it was a nice wheel setup there would be a question about what was the device the winner managed to beat everybody? I guess it can't be a gamepad.

Graine de Pilote
04-12-2011, 09:41
This competition is a great idea!
Just a remark, in the future it will be interesting to know how many competitors there are. Because for now we can't go to the bottom of the ranking directly. And the information isn't displayed on the top of the table.

@Andy: so the setup will be the same for everyone?

Andy Garton
04-12-2011, 09:44
No you'll still be able to create your own setup, we're just making the default more driveable.

Sjoerd Huksloot
04-12-2011, 10:05
I was happily suprised by this event.
As the game is still in Alpha state, I wasn't expecting any events this early. And with such a great price, thumbs up!
Maybe the price isn't for everyone; you guys don't want me to design your track. :a08: But the price is alligned with the status of the game: in development.

For the future, this kind of events should be done regularly. Maybe a Logitech event, sponsored by Logitech, and some Logitech prices. That kind of things can be done with countless brands and websites, but when the game is final.

If I see the cars in the reallife carthread (no disrespect), it seems that SMS can afford such a price. ;) See it as a "thank you" to us. Automation, another community funded game that I'm waiting for, isn't in the position to give any presents, not even a pencil. So this price is a indication to me, that things are going fine.

No worries guys. The event is on a lot of other websites like VirtualR and therefore will be a nice eyecatcher for new contributors.

WallyM
04-12-2011, 11:05
I would think that everybody here is extremely appreciative of the generosity of the prize!

Remco Van Dijk
04-12-2011, 13:33

You know, this kind of openness towards the community is what I find totally fantastic and what I love this whole project (and SMS) for.

I'm expecting 8817 Likes to this posting now ;)

Rodrigo Borba
04-12-2011, 14:27
I think the SMS has good faith in all that you give us, this contest was very cool.
What amazes me is seeing a car driving so hard to turn around times as low in world records, miracle setups?
I think we should accept the records by means of video of the gameplay, as well as the Guinness record of his validates canditates.
Have the option to appeal to the aid system in order novice to succeed in the record also found using unfair.
The track is very good, I love the caterham 500, but I think the car should be the best handling to date, two weeks are more than enough to learn to drive a car stable with a decent setup.
Thanks SMS for their efforts, perhaps have the opportunity to meet all of you what I think is great with the presence of Ben Collins ? ( this is an idea )
Keep bringing us great surprises this is the way, would be nice to be able to vote or participate in a poll to decide an award together, of course in this way would not be surprised, but at the same time we would have a greater ability to please everyone.
Cheers !

Tony Rickard
04-12-2011, 19:28
Best to find out what works and what doesn't so well now whilst in alpha IMHO. Everything needs to be tested and getting hot lap events right will probably invoke a big debate about track cutting rules, trick setups, controller configurations and the like. I don't see a big issue, keep them coming, set the next prize as a trip to SMS to polish Ian's head so we don't have a hissy fit who wins :)

Umer Ahmad
04-12-2011, 19:33
Since the R500 is getting an update tomorrow anyway I personally would NOT be bothered if we: a. canceled this contest or b. changed the contest parameters (maybe different car, different prize, etc.)

Andy, Ian: Is it too late to consider either option above since the community has provided more feedback? Or would you like to stay the original course?

Micas
04-12-2011, 20:03
Thanks for the update Andy..

Re: resetting the contest - I don't think that's practical. As long as everyone competes with the same car and track (with associated physics and such), then everything should be fine. I don't think there should be any issues with track cutting and such as everyone is subject to the same rule-set.

Part of any online competition is "trick setups" and the like. Unless you do a competition live, and give the contestants the equipment to compete with, the "tweaking" of things is just part of the contest. If somebody figures out how to get their wheel working better than mine, that's just how it goes. If they find an "exploit" in the track cutting detection code, well.. that's just how on-line competitions go.

oldschool
04-12-2011, 20:23
After the default setup is fixed, it could be made exclusive.
That would make it all about the driving.

Stefan Hartmann
04-12-2011, 21:14
To setup the setup is a part of the competition. Can't see anything wrong with that.
Currently beeing on P2 (I guess that will change by tomorrow :(), I can tell you however, that my setup isn't unusual by any means... so far. :D
Compared to the standard-setup, you can still clearly see where it came from. I really didn't change that much. I just tried to stabilize the rear end a bit and made the usual changes to break balance and diff. No tricks involved, just some basic setup-knowledge that you'll find in any setup-guide.

I was a bit staggered by the laptimes as well. Not because they are what they are. I soon realized that 1:15.x should be possible. I just didn't expect them to appear on the second day of the competition..

Thomas Einoeder
05-12-2011, 07:27
Another thing for the patch: you should make lap times invalid when driving through the pit-lane. At the moment it's possible to drive through and the times are still valid (but the lap is slightly shorter this way).

I noticed that after a few laps where I couldn't get the Caterham stable after the last turn of the track forcing me driving the pit-lane instead of the long straight.

Hogi
05-12-2011, 10:49

No need for a apology. This event was a great surprise and I had a lot of fun this weekend. The Caterham is really challanging and therefor I started to take a greater look at the car setup(s) (-> positive effect).

Idea for further events: what about having an event like Driving against Andy Garton or Ian or Mike... I think these aims are more achievable for more of us. :a24: No need for a prize to win. It just gives you a great feeling, if you win a competition against a SMS developer, right? With a hotlap competition there can only be one winner - with a driver competition there would be certainly more winners.

Jorgen Haehre
05-12-2011, 11:23
A 1 vs 1 ladder mode event could be really awesome to implement into the game. Something like the race of champions.

Andy Garton
05-12-2011, 12:44
We're going to do a patch, probably available on Monday, that will be available to all members and will hopefully improve the handling significantly (mainly via changes to the default setup, so you'll need to reset back to defaults when you get it).
Just to say that we're still working on this and not quite happy enough with the changes yet, so the patch will at best be tomorrow.

speed1
05-12-2011, 12:58
Just to say that we're still working on this and not quite happy enough with the changes yet, so the patch will at best be tomorrow.

Take the time you need.

Rofas
05-12-2011, 13:03
Take the time you need.

Sure he can but if so he should cancel/reschedule the competition. It sounds to me more than Setup changes will be included.

Graine de Pilote
05-12-2011, 13:09
Sure he can but if so he should cancel/reschedule the competition. It sounds to me more than Setup changes will be included. It's not so dramatic to loose 3 days on a 14 days competition. And in fact they are not lost because the car and the track stay the same! So the training we have made until yet is a benefit fot the days to come. Just my opinion!

It's the first event and of course it's not perfect... The future events will be better with the experience gained on this one. ;)

Thomas Einoeder
05-12-2011, 13:17
I think, after the patch, the car will become more drivable for everyone (even if there will be not only setup-changes, but physics changes as well).
So there will be no need for resetting times or cancelling the competition because everyone should be able to improve their actual best times when the patch is out.

Andy Garton
05-12-2011, 13:33
It's not so dramatic to loose 3 days on a 14 days competition. And in fact they are not lost because the car and the track stay the same! So the training we have made until yet is a benefit fot the days to come. Just my opinion!

It's the first event and of course it's not perfect... The future events will be better with the experience gained on this one. ;)

I think, after the patch, the car will become more drivable for everyone (even if there will be not only setup-changes, but physics changes as well).
So there will be no need for resetting times or cancelling the competition because everyone should be able to improve their actual best times when the patch is out.
I agree with both of these posts. While it's certainly not ideal to update the car mid-competition (and my initial instinct was to leave it as is), the fact that it will get faster rather than slower means there is no real need to restart the whole competition (which would be a bit of a PR howler).

speed1
05-12-2011, 13:35
I dont know but if the changes make recordtime unattainable then its better to make a reset. What if the record driver couldnt catch his own recordtime after changes done ?

Andy Garton
05-12-2011, 13:38
I dont know but if the changes make recordtime unattainable then its better to make a reset. What if the record driver couldnt catch his own recordtime after changes done ?
As noted above, that won't happen.

Remco Van Dijk
05-12-2011, 13:38
That's what Andy wrote, the car will become faster, not slower, so the record time will be beaten quite certainly :)

EDIT Ninja'ed :)

Rofas
05-12-2011, 13:51
Yeah and all setup work for nothing, nice.

speed1
05-12-2011, 14:10
That's what Andy wrote, the car will become faster, not slower, so the record time will be beaten quite certainly :)

EDIT Ninja'ed :)

Ok when it isnt necessary its ok for me. If you change something or not im not fast enough anyway. It makes no difference. :D

Graine de Pilote
05-12-2011, 14:16
(...) not ideal to update the car mid-competition (and my initial instinct was to leave it as is) (...) Is it really mendatory to update the Catheram? With a good setup I think that the car is manageable. In my case I haven't change anything on the setup but I was able to run in 1:19:9xx after few laps if I well remenber.
I know that I'm not able to win this contest but it's a pleasure to give it a try!

Hogi
05-12-2011, 14:24
Yeah and all setup work for nothing, nice.
... , but you still have plenty of time for a even better setup. In real life, when it starts to rain just before a race, your setup is also for nothing :cool:

Andy Garton
05-12-2011, 14:26
The underlying physics changes are minimal (most of our changes are in the default setup), so any work you've done already won't be wasted.

speed1
05-12-2011, 14:40
Its all no problem. Its more important that you get the car balanced .

Casey Ringley
05-12-2011, 14:41
We also fixed an oversight where many of the settings were locked when they shouldn't be. Damper rebound, most importantly, can now be adjusted and you'll be able to use the new options to really personalize the car to your driving style.

speed1
05-12-2011, 14:44
I love you guys :a44:

Andy Garton
05-12-2011, 14:47
Undergoing final testing now but there's a good chance we might beat the schedule (!) and get this out today now.

speed1
05-12-2011, 14:51
Wait some time please im in Garage office. Release it later than 6.00 pm germany time please ;)

oldschool
05-12-2011, 14:53
Will the patch be in downloads, or a link in this post?

Andy Garton
05-12-2011, 15:02
New build is up now in the usual place. Do your worst on it chaps :)

Remco Van Dijk
05-12-2011, 15:04
Great work guys! :a15:

Hogi
05-12-2011, 15:07
New build is up now in the usual place. Do your worst on it chaps :)

This is why I love this project ... Really great work :a15:

Graham Hawkins
05-12-2011, 15:32
Well its definitely quicker, knocked over 2s off my previous best, first time with the new setup.
Very drivable now, but can still turn round and bite you :cool:

Micas
05-12-2011, 15:45
Obviously some SMS guys worked over the weekend to get this sorted out - so thanks to them for that.

And if you look at Ben Collins' profile, you'll see he's downloading the new build.. :)

Vittorio Rapa
05-12-2011, 15:49
And if you look at Ben Collins' profile, you'll see he's downloading the new build.. :)

You hunting Ben? :)

Micas
05-12-2011, 15:51
We call it "stalking" in the US.

Vittorio Rapa
05-12-2011, 15:52
We call it "stalking" in the US.

I wanted to remain on the soft side.. :)

Micas
05-12-2011, 15:58
And an SMS employee is atop the leaderboard now. Bad bad SMS employee..

Stefan Hartmann
05-12-2011, 15:58
I want Collins to appear on the leaderboard! :D
Don't care that he is SMS-staff. I guess he won't win this anyway (not enough time to spend) but it would be cool to see some of his laptimes. :D

I'd really like to have the justification to buy one of these T-Shirts. :D
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MaAUCBhloxg/TFx0cXoL4zI/AAAAAAAAAWw/jSAQ6F7zB2o/s320/107_1_1279970820.jpg

Rofas
05-12-2011, 17:49
The underlying physics changes are minimal (most of our changes are in the default setup), so any work you've done already won't be wasted.

Obviously wrong. My old Setup is a mess with Build 108, it was for nothing. Thanks. Next problem I can't see my lap improvement in the ranking.

Remco Van Dijk
05-12-2011, 17:51
My old Setup is a mess with Build 108, it was for nothing.
Nooo, you cannot deny that you had a lot of fun setting up and driving the car ;)

Craig Martin
05-12-2011, 20:27
can anyone tell me why it is not saving all my lap times? I have a 1:18 something (clean lap) but my record is still showing 1:24??

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1232/pcars2011120521100332.png

edit:- ignore, it's up now, delayed reaction, sorry.

Stefan Hartmann
05-12-2011, 20:43
How long did it take for yours to get updated?
I'm waiting for more than an hour now, but still no sign of my new pb.

EDIT:
It's up now.
That was a long 10 minutes.

Reaper 392
05-12-2011, 20:51
really liking the changes on the caterham. its a shame you had to go back to the old tyre model where it flips over in a high speed skid, but at least you can stop it from going into a high speed skid now

slightly gutted to see that i'm 0.006 behind 8th, but i really need to take a break from it. i've used up 3 tanks of fuel already.

ps, which profile is ben collins one? would love to get myself one of those tshirts :D
(i hope its not something bleedin obvious like 'Ben Collins' because that would be slightly embarrassing)

krivjur
05-12-2011, 20:56
Make your guess. ;) Clicky (http://forum.wmdportal.com/member.php?4843-Ben-Collins)

Reaper 392
05-12-2011, 21:32
Make your guess. ;) Clicky (http://forum.wmdportal.com/member.php?4843-Ben-Collins)
*sigh* maybe one day i will be slightly observant. i wouldnt hold your breath though

Tony Rickard
05-12-2011, 21:55
slightly gutted to see that i'm 0.006 behind 8th, but i really need to take a break from it. i've used up 3 tanks of fuel already.
]I am currently 8th so I am not gutted :)

Reaper 392
05-12-2011, 22:41
I am currently 8th so I am not gutted :)

i just beat my time. i was so happy that i'd got a 1:15.0xx and finally made it to 8th where everyone would see my name.... then i check the leaderboard and someone has beaten me again so i'm still 9th.

FFFUUU.jpg @ whoever beat me

Scott Coffey
06-12-2011, 00:38
Man, that Caterham is really fun to drive now. Watkins Glen doesn't really allow it to shine though. Check out Bathurst if you want some real fun.

noroardanto
06-12-2011, 01:51
A 1 vs 1 ladder mode event could be really awesome to implement into the game. Something like the race of champions.

Then we'll need at least one ROC style stadium track.. awesome! :a44:

noroardanto
06-12-2011, 01:59
Edit: question already answered by Ian Bell

Darkdeus
06-12-2011, 02:05
The new patch is awesome! I went from a 1:22 to a 1:15.92
I think dropping the graphics settings to low helped a lot too. There really is still input lag below 50 fps.

noroardanto
06-12-2011, 05:50
I think dropping the graphics settings to low helped a lot too. There really is still input lag below 50 fps.

Thanks for the advice!

Juan Pablo Rguez
06-12-2011, 06:06
Caterham is a very fun to drive car now :) And as Scott Coffey sayd, CAT+Bathurst combination is a total blast to race.
I was a little worried last time i tried the CAT

speed1
06-12-2011, 09:00
Do we have anywhere a Ranking list or something else. Or can we see the records only in game ?

Thomas Einoeder
06-12-2011, 09:02
Do we have anywhere a Ranking list or something else. Or can we see the records only in game ?
Just in-game at the moment. But it's planned to have it online in the forum SMSoon... :)

EDIT: look here... http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?1874-Leaderboard-on-the-WMDPortal

speed1
06-12-2011, 09:05
Thx . Than i couldnt see what you guys are doing here on work S...T. :D

Octane
06-12-2011, 09:44
At which time are the times submitted to the leaderboard ? (Not when do they appear on the leaderboard)

I know that times show up at a later time in the leaderboard (my first time showed up after more than an hour), but my question is: when are the times submitted to the leaderboard ? Immediatly after you did the time in TT moide ? After you exit the TT session ?

I am asking this, because i am quite sure that i improved my time yesterday evening but my time in the leaderboard is not being updated even today.

Thanks in advance,
Octane

Jeanphi
06-12-2011, 10:56
Hello,

my time is not update too

1 15 546 my best in the game but not in hotlaps

http://gpf1racing-online.com/img/CARS/jp1.jpg
http://gpf1racing-online.com/img/CARS/jp2.jpg

Mike Laskey
06-12-2011, 10:56
Hi guys,

I've been investigating the reports of delayed stat uploads to the server and found a bug in the build 108 game code you should know about. The stat upload process should be that the game will submit your lap times immediately after returning from an event back to the menus (it should upload within a couple of seconds, following which the server will crunch the numbers into leaderboards at 5 minute intervals).

Unfortunately in build 108 the upload part fails (completely my fault, I hold my hands up to it).

On the positive side, there is a workaround to the problem which is thankfully very simple:

1. After racing (time trial etc), safely return to the menu as normal (which commits your fastest lap to the save game profile).
2. Quit the game.
3. Restart the game and login. After a few seconds, your lap time will be automatically uploaded and then it will take the usual duration (5-10 mins) for your record to appear in the leaderboard.

speed1
06-12-2011, 10:59
S...T no wonder that i cant find my personell best updated time. :( Than i must drive a new 1.12.xxxx :D :rolleyes:

Joke by side this time im on 1.15.xxx High but nothing updated :(

Big Ron
06-12-2011, 10:59
Yeah....thank god I did that a few times without knowledge while I was testing settings and stuff. So my new personal best should be updated.

Andy Garton
06-12-2011, 11:01
S...T no wonder that i cant find my personell best updated time. :( Than i must drive a new 1.12.xxxx :D :rolleyes:
To be clear - no lap records you've made will be lost, they're always saved locally. You just need to restart the game to get them uploaded to the server.

DCLXVI
06-12-2011, 11:03
To be clear - no lap records you've made will be lost, they're always saved locally. You just need to restart the game to get them uploaded to the server.

Awww... I can not complain that my 1:10.654 was not uploaded... Ok... I'll invent the game crashed before saving it to profile. :D

speed1
06-12-2011, 11:05

Ok thx. Is no problem its really a funny event. I know i cant win it but it makes me really fun with all the Highspeed guys to battle. Please do more events like that in future and keep the great work on. :)

Mike Laskey
06-12-2011, 11:05
Hello,

my time is not update too

1 15 546 my best in the game but not in hotlaps

http://gpf1racing-online.com/img/CARS/jp1.jpg
http://gpf1racing-online.com/img/CARS/jp2.jpg

I checked and you're 20th in the leaderboard but you uploaded the time only in the last 5 minutes so some clients may not see it yet.

Octane
06-12-2011, 11:10
After i started the game today and sending my stats this way, the time is updated now.
Everything is fine now, you just have to know how it works :-)

Jeanphi
06-12-2011, 12:12
It 's OK

i'm reconnect and see my time trial

Good Job :a15:

Dartguy
09-12-2011, 21:42
Could someone post a link to the rules for this competition? I have looked for a bit, but just can't seem to find them.

Rob Prange
09-12-2011, 21:55
Here's all you need to know:

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/announcing-the-eurogamer-hot-lap-competition/

The rules are simple really. Post the quickest time before the contest ends (you can find the timer on the in-game Events page) and you'll win. Laps are validated within the sim and not recognized if you cut. :)

DCLXVI
09-12-2011, 23:20
Better with 900° instead of 270, but steal not "that"... :(

Andy posted somewhere that 695° should be set in game for the Caterham.

sagedavid
09-12-2011, 23:24
Ok, I erased my profile, and change my steering angle via thrustmaster "control center", and it's far better... ;)

Thibaud21
13-12-2011, 08:33
My lap hasn't been registered.... wtf ? do we have to make the ten lap to be registered ?
PS : and i don't cut, thank :)

edit : thank dan ;)

Dan Blamey
13-12-2011, 09:15
Quit the game and load it again. It should appear after 5-10 minutes.

Graine de Pilote
13-12-2011, 09:19
When the competition will be ended, will it be possible to publish the total number of competitors. Because when I scroll down to the bottom of the table I never have the same number of competitors: sometimes 860, 868 or 1024...
I'm not sure it has been mentionned before.

phl90
13-12-2011, 12:51
It would be great to publish the table with all times and drivernames on the forum or somewhere on the WMD portal .

Ryzza5
08-10-2012, 04:30
Major bump *salutes*

Just wondering what became of this - has the winner been to the studio yet?, any news on the track design?, track build progress?, etc? :D

Cheers

Reaper 392
08-10-2012, 10:59
Major bump *salutes*

Just wondering what became of this - has the winner been to the studio yet?, any news on the track design?, track build progress?, etc? :D

Cheers

i think the winner was from very far away, so its entirely possible that they just haven't been able to get any dates set yet

Ryzza5
08-10-2012, 11:01
Well they're not called aliens for nothing ;)

*ba dum tish*

Scott Coffey
09-10-2012, 01:40
Funny you should bump this thread now, since I was just thinking about it yesterday. :a40:

I was thinking what a disaster it was then, with the (then) poor handling Cat, and how much more effective it would have been if it were held today. :cool:

Ryzza5
09-10-2012, 02:15
I *DID* bump this thread yesterday :p

Guess it was more designed to get gamers to join up