PDA

View Full Version : First Officially-Licensed Cars Announced

Rob Prange
01-11-2011, 17:12
Slightly Mad Studios have revealed the first set of officially-licensed wheels that will be available in the WMD-powered C.A.R.S. title.

To meet the five exciting new additions to C.A.R.S, check out the frontpage article:

http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/first-officially-licensed-cars-announced/

Simon Kaminski
01-11-2011, 18:36
Sound really nice. Can't wait to drive the Gumpert and Jaguar!!

Rodrigo Borba
01-11-2011, 19:24
OMG !
This is awesome !
Congratulations for the SMS team !
Go C.A.R.S Go !

Rocinante
01-11-2011, 19:55
This is awesome news, it really is. Getting licensed products generally gives much more hitting power. Good job team.

ermo
01-11-2011, 22:38
Rob,

Sounds great! :cool:

Two nitpicks (that's why we're here, right? ;)):

(...) as its 2 liter Honda iVTEC engine allows the nimble little Atom (...)

Shouldn't that be something like:

(...) as its supercharged 300+ bhp 2 liter Honda iVTEC engine allows the nimble little Atom (...)

For the Mugen version, you write:

The car comes with a special Mugen-tuned version of the Honda iVTEC Type-R engine, putting out.

Putting out? Does that involve triple X imagery and an exhaust pipe? Or did you just not have the power rating on hand? ;)

Good job on the licensing, chaps! Loving the Atom in Build 81 already! :D

FLX81
02-11-2011, 12:32
Sorry to be the first one to bring some negativity but... those cars are not really generating a WANT factor for me. And do we really need 3 versions of the Atom? Showing a little Gran Turismo syndrome? :P

Remco Van Dijk
02-11-2011, 12:37
Sorry to be the first one to bring some negativity but... those cars are not really generating a WANT factor for me. And do we really need 3 versions of the Atom? Showing a little Gran Turismo syndrome? :P
Bringing a bit of perspective to the thread ;), I don't think that anyone in the staff was expecting all 10k+ members to like everything :) More will come, you'll get your kicks for sure :)

Thomas Einoeder
02-11-2011, 12:43
I love the Atom so far... and I'm really excited when the versions with even more power will make it into the builds... :)

Terrell Olvera
02-11-2011, 16:13

The three versions of the Atom are vastly different in real life, as long as they show that in the game there won't be any signs of Gran Turismo Syndrome. Why Gran Turismo 5 has so many versions of the same car (which all drive pretty much the same) I'll never understand...

djotefsoup
02-11-2011, 16:31
Bringing a bit of perspective to the thread ;), I don't think that anyone in the staff was expecting all 10k+ members to like everything :) More will come, you'll get your kicks for sure :)

I know it would probably never sell, but stuff like the Apollo, Palmer Jag, Atom, Radical, Carterham/7, etc, are exactly the sort of manufacturers I thought would be the plan for this all along (eg ones who might need us more than say Ferrari) and I would be totally happy if the game followed that model of bringing in less well known machines like those.

Broke, but still, happy :)

Umer Ahmad
02-11-2011, 17:13
Mark my words: "Ferrari will come to us."

djotefsoup
02-11-2011, 17:30
Well, you know, it's maybe not even that bad. Look at something like Maddox with Il-2 Sturmovik. Not a P-51 in sight, no Battle of Britain, no B-17s, no Japanese, no carriers. They still slaughtered MS Combat Flight Sim in its sleep in a matter of a year or two, just from being cheaper to make and leaner, with the vast majority of their models being a bunch of planes most people in the traditional market had never heard of. If you don't have the licenses but you do have the quality product, people will still find your game.

And then you can use that money to go get the big names you couldn't before :)

Simon Kaminski
02-11-2011, 17:51

Hope you are right :D

Remco Van Dijk
02-11-2011, 17:54
They'll probably demand that the cars won't be damaged and all that? Community says "no"...

Simon Kaminski
02-11-2011, 17:57
Not really. In GTR 2 we could destroy the Ferraris as well.

Rob Prange
02-11-2011, 17:57
Community says "no"...

*cough*

Sorry, couldn't resist the Little Britain reference :D

Viktor Kolomiets
02-11-2011, 18:08
Not really. In GTR 2 we could destroy the Ferraris as well.
GTR2 had a series (FIA GT) licence (disputed by F*******)
Can;'t say any more

Ian Bell
02-11-2011, 18:15
Can;'t say any more

Indeed.

Dude27
02-11-2011, 18:23
If licensing was based on talent and skills instead of big money, it would be true... but today's bureaucrats and businessmen dictate the world we are all live in... so unless a miracle (some high profile top exec at Ferrari/Fiat who happens to be impressed by what CARS has to offer) it won't happen. Add on that the horrendous "exclusive" licences mafia and remember the WRC licence: in the hands of Blackbeans = a chitty crappy game... and if based on talent only, would have been an amazing simulation reference by Warthog (RBR).

Umer Ahmad
02-11-2011, 19:11
Talent will bring Money will bring Power will bring Ferrari

I think Tony Montana said it best:

http://youtu.be/N4IZSs7n7as

3dhotshot
02-11-2011, 23:45
yay for Jaguar!! :cool:

Remco Van Dijk
03-11-2011, 09:08
*cough*

Sorry, couldn't resist the Little Britain reference :D
Yep, only later I realized I had forgotten to add that :p

Leemstradamus
03-11-2011, 09:22
Really I wouldn't want to compromise our core belief just to get a certain brand. Granted that brand is lusted for the world over but hey I would love to have a chance to have great game with a ton of great cars. Hell if we can't have them then GTA it and come up with our own concepts!

Leemstradamus
03-11-2011, 09:24
Can;'t say any more

For the love of Pete I hope McLaren don't act like that. I want MP4-12C. Will start selling cookies to raise money if I need too! lol

petrolhd
03-11-2011, 10:43

As long as there are Porkers, the MP4 12C and a 458 I'll be happy! :D

Anyway, well done to the team for the first set, all good from where I'm sitting!

relical
03-11-2011, 13:14
wonder if ea will share the porsche licence they wouldnt hand it over to forza this time
if they dont bring on ruf lol
it's great to see some licenced cars showing up
hope the skylines are next :cool:

Nua Sidek
03-11-2011, 13:56
For the love of Pete I hope McLaren don't act like that. I want MP4-12C. Will start selling cookies to raise money if I need too! lol

SimRaceway got Mclaren license but I'm not sure if it's exclusive

Dude27
03-11-2011, 14:00
SimRaceway got Mclaren license but I'm not sure if it's exclusive

I hope not... exclusive licences is the death of videogame.

Captain Crunch
03-11-2011, 21:34
Just imagine if we could get all the manufactures of cars in the Le Mans period like a standing agreement from the guys that run Le Mans. Prolly to much red tape to even give it a serious consideration but that would make the ultimate car line up. We wouldn't even need a by the year limit or anything. I know thats to much to ask for but I canot stand the thought of being on the track with 23 other cars that are exactly the same besides paint schemes.

Morgan Henstridge
04-11-2011, 12:51
I hope not... exclusive licences is the death of videogame.

Don't think it's exclusive as iRacing have also announced the Mclaren MP4-12C GT3 if I am remembering correctly.

Rob Prange
04-11-2011, 12:56
Don't think it's exclusive as iRacing have also announced the Mclaren MP4-12C GT3 if I am remembering correctly.

Indeed, and Codemasters' will of course have the current Mclarens in their F1 titles. Impossible to get an exclusive license there.

Dude27
04-11-2011, 14:34
Clever move from McLaren's point of view: no exclusivity = more games to show your cars to the world. I really don't understand why brands are attracted by "exclusive" licensing deals which restrain the power of these free advertisments in one of the biggest industry in the world = videogames.

mclaren777
04-11-2011, 17:35
I sure hope not.

mclaren777
04-11-2011, 17:41
Simraceway has exclusive rights to 36 of the Formula One cars, but not to the road cars.

Source (http://blog.simraceway.com/2011/11/simraceway-announces-landmark-agreement-with-mclaren/#more-617)

Dan Blamey
04-11-2011, 21:16
Clever move from McLaren's point of view: no exclusivity = more games to show your cars to the world. I really don't understand why brands are attracted by "exclusive" licensing deals which restrain the power of these free advertisments in one of the biggest industry in the world = videogames.

Because the get paid A LOT of money to give the exclusive ;)

So they can either take a huge pile of cash now to be in one game, or take a bit of cash for the license, then hope that more games come along wanting it...

sagedavid
04-11-2011, 22:39
It is known that Ferrari, with its discount car, lives with the pub !

Terrell Olvera
05-11-2011, 00:27
I wonder how it works with licensing race cars? Could we get around any Porsche/Ferrari issues by licensing a race team somehow?

Matthew Hardwick
05-11-2011, 00:30
I wonder how it works with licensing race cars? Could we get around any Porsche/Ferrari issues by licensing a race team somehow?

Nope. Simbin did that in their STCC game. Licensed the team that used the Mercedes, but not the car. So they called the car the "BMS incognito", removed any branding and changed the look a bit.