PDA

View Full Version : What's coming in Friday's build.

Ian Bell
11-10-2011, 09:58
Hi everyone.

We should be adding first pass AI for all cars and tracks for the next build coming this Friday.

We'll also be debuting a comprehensive test track (alpha level) with a high speed oval and a number of varied circuits to put the physics through hell.

Enjoy!

Andy Garton
13-10-2011, 08:18
Worth saying perhaps that the AI in this build is our completely stripped back base AI engine only, basically it's the starting point to build great C.A.R.S. AI on top of. As such it has plenty of shortcomings currently, so don't panic (tm).

Race mode also is a basic starting point, simple standing start single class races with no racing rules enabled yet.

We're also adding Ctrl-I (automatic control of the player car) and Ctrl-T (switch to trackside cameras) dev keyboard shortcuts. The cameras are early placeholders only, with no bells or whistles, but hopefully should help you guys with screenshots and videos :)

Gopher04
13-10-2011, 19:27
All sounds good to me guys..do we know if the dx11 fix is coming as well by anychance?

steventot
13-10-2011, 19:46
Great news !

Charlie Buscher
13-10-2011, 20:25
How about lag/deadzone fix and maybe some FFB changes?

[Edit]

We'll have alternative FFB code in the Friday build. You guys can decide which you prefer, how you'd like it tweaked etc.

At 60 FPS I'm not noticing any lag with my G27.
We do though think some filters may have slipped into build 71 and have reverted the suspected code for the next build.

Riches
13-10-2011, 21:26
The input filters hat supposed to make some steeringwheel act like a joypad should be removed i read somewhere else here.
Should fix the massive deadzone some people had.

Hobbs77
13-10-2011, 23:36
Ya , I wish they could do something to fix the lag/dead zone in shift 2!!! Even if it's only updated to this level would be a big improvement.

Marc-Andre Denis
14-10-2011, 02:11
Can't wait to just fool around in the test track! I'm guessing I'll spend a lot of time on that track just fooling around doing smoke donuts in the skid pad and enjoying the high speed oval :D

Dan Blamey
14-10-2011, 07:06
So what time can we expect the Friday build, it's been Friday in Melbourne for 18 hours? :P

ambrus
14-10-2011, 07:26
Sounds great, hope you fix dx11!

terrian
14-10-2011, 07:31
So what time can we expect the Friday build, it's been Friday in Melbourne for 18 hours? :P
lol, I guess you'll be playing C.A.R.S. builds in the morning quite a lot :D

Christopher Hall-Nelson
14-10-2011, 07:35
71 has been an interesting build for me, mainly because its the first one ive had access to.
Ive got to agree with what folk have said about the FFB, its seems way too erratic and doesnt give anything like feel that it should, so for that reason alone, roll on fridays build!

Andy Garton
14-10-2011, 07:58
The input filters hat supposed to make some steeringwheel act like a joypad should be removed i read somewhere else here.
Should fix the massive deadzone some people had.
Only fair to set expectations - we're by no means certain this change will help with deadzone issues as we don't have a system internally yet which suffers that problem so can't prove it either way. We are more confident that the lag/slow response issues some people are experiencing will be fixed though (again this has been difficult to repro internally but we do have one system with the issue and the change did sort it).

Worth highlighting again how useful the WMD system is to help us with issues like these - near instant access to thousands of different PC configs :) It does however mean that "possible fixes" may often turn out not to help, but they do help us testing wise to get closer to the actual solution.

Mark Silcock
14-10-2011, 08:52

Yeah almost bedtime here in NZ :P

Jussi Kosunen
14-10-2011, 09:07
Worth highlighting again how useful the WMD system is to help us with issues like these - near instant access to thousands of different PC configs :) It does however mean that "possible fixes" may often turn out not to help, but they do help us testing wise to get closer to the actual solution.
Have you thought about incorporating a proper bug/issue tracker for bug reports as opposed to a forum based approach for WMD? I guess it might mean developer overhead on top of whatever issue tracking you're using for actual development, but I can see the bug reports forum turning into a bit of a mess if the project picks up more speed. There may even be vB plugins which incorporate a tracker into the forum.

David Cuthill
14-10-2011, 09:35
Have you thought about incorporating a proper bug/issue tracker for bug reports as opposed to a forum based approach for WMD? I guess it might mean developer overhead on top of whatever issue tracking you're using for actual development, but I can see the bug reports forum turning into a bit of a mess if the project picks up more speed. There may even be vB plugins which incorporate a tracker into the forum.

Have to agree with DeathCarrot here. After only a week, it's already getting difficult to sift through the posts looking for answers, particularly from staff. Would be good if your internal tracking system could be exposed, even if read-only, and issues linked to specific forum threads for us to comment on.

Joao Monteiro
14-10-2011, 09:37
Some kind of forum 'Dev Tracker' (where we can follow the posts made by the dev team) would also be a nice feature.

Zeknurn
14-10-2011, 10:17
Another thing I would like to see is highlighting the posts by the dev team by giving the background of the post a coloured tint or perhaps adding a border. Something to make the post stand out. Currently it's easy to not notice the coloured username.

Andy Garton
14-10-2011, 11:12
Just a brief note to say that as a one time only special first week treat (and also because we're still working on the system to provide builds per member level :) ), today's build will be available to all paid users. From next week we'll get into the normal routine, which will see the Monday build go to team members and above only.

Karsten Kremer
14-10-2011, 11:29
Fine Andy! Could you give us the ~time of releasing this build today, please?

Andy Garton
14-10-2011, 11:39
Am I allowed to say soon?

Andy Garton
14-10-2011, 11:41
More seriously - should be around 3-4pm UK time. As always it depends on the build process going smoothly(ish). We do a small smoke test before releasing builds (even internally at SMS), once that's done we'll pop it up here.

kligson
14-10-2011, 11:50
*glances at clock* nope, not yet
*glances at clock again* what? only 1 minute passed... this day passes waaaaay to slowly

Markus Ott
14-10-2011, 11:52
How will the builds be delivered? Small update packs or new full clients every time there comes an update?
Did SMS consider the use of an autoupdater so we don't have to search the forum for news, dl links and things like that?

Priit Vork
14-10-2011, 11:54
How will the builds be delivered? Small update packs or new full clients every time there comes an update?
Did SMS consider the use of an autoupdater so we don't have to search the forum for news, dl links and things like that?
Client updater is planned: clicky (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?295-Build-Question&p=3890&viewfull=1#post3890)

Markus Ott
14-10-2011, 11:56
Nice :)

hoover
14-10-2011, 12:02
Nice, looking forward to the new build and hopefully some less lag / improved feel on my g25.

All the best, Uwe

Big Ron
14-10-2011, 12:49
Haha,
I signed up to CARS as a team member a few minutes ago, already downloading the last build. But now I see, that a new build is coming today. So I stopped downloading waiting for the new one :D

f1lover
14-10-2011, 12:52
Haha,
I signed up to CARS as a team member a few minutes ago, already downloading the last build. But now I see, that a new build is coming today. So I stopped downloading waiting for the new one :D

Is this Big Ron from GPL regulars???

Big Ron
14-10-2011, 12:58
Nope,
I never played GPL or signed up to any GPL-community...sorry

Andy Garton
14-10-2011, 13:26
I knew I should have stuck to "soon" :). There will probably be a small delay as the build has an issue (no shadows, which I guess most people would prefer to have). Sorry!

kligson
14-10-2011, 13:33
i'm still at work... that actually helps :D

Remco Van Dijk
14-10-2011, 13:43
I do hope that 072 will work for all people w.r.t. the input lag and precision. It's working great for me, practicing to drift the F68 through corners at Connecticut with a huge grin on my face :)

Marc-Andre Denis
14-10-2011, 13:49
Am I allowed to say soon?Am I allowed to show you this: Valve Time (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time)

:D Just pulling your leg, keep up the good work! :D Eagerly awaiting that test track!

Remco: Oh, you tease!...

Simon Kaminski
14-10-2011, 14:33
Is it a matter of some minutes/hours or days?

I am a Team Member since some minutes and thinking about downloading the Build 71 or waiting von v72.

Ian Bell
14-10-2011, 14:34
Is it a matter of some minutes/hours or days?

I am a Team Member since some minutes and thinking about downloading the Build 71 or waiting von v72.

I suspect less than an hour barring any showstoppers.

hollywood46
14-10-2011, 16:00
Downloading Build 073 :D

Simon Kaminski
14-10-2011, 16:01
Perfect. Thanks.

Cowell
14-10-2011, 16:03
I was wondering what the best way would be to save build 71, So i can go back to it to compare?

Andy Garton
14-10-2011, 16:04
Hi everyone.

We should be adding first pass AI for all cars and tracks for the next build coming this Friday.

We'll also be debuting a comprehensive test track (alpha level) with a high speed oval and a number of varied circuits to put the physics through hell.

Enjoy!

Worth saying perhaps that the AI in this build is our completely stripped back base AI engine only, basically it's the starting point to build great C.A.R.S. AI on top of. As such it has plenty of shortcomings currently, so don't panic (tm).

Race mode also is a basic starting point, simple standing start single class races with no racing rules enabled yet.

We're also adding Ctrl-I (automatic control of the player car) and Ctrl-T (switch to trackside cameras) dev keyboard shortcuts. The cameras are early placeholders only, with no bells or whistles, but hopefully should help you guys with screenshots and videos :)
The new build (73) is now available, enjoy :)

The test track is a very early export and contains plenty of bugs, but should hopefully still be useful (and fun).

z0n3r
14-10-2011, 16:04
awesome thank you, I also download the build 073 :)

Big Ron
14-10-2011, 16:22
Thanks a lot. I am downloading, too. But the speed is horrible.

Foliorum Viridum
14-10-2011, 16:24
Server is being hammered :(

Uff
14-10-2011, 16:33
Stuck at 99,99% with only few bytes left, but the server doesn't respond. :(

Denis Martinez
14-10-2011, 16:50
downloading new build 73. Thanks

Alessandro Gamberini
14-10-2011, 16:51
we are too much, the server is sitting for a while
@UFF does this situation remember another sim to you ? :D

AyrtonBoy
14-10-2011, 17:06
yes download , i can change name profile?

TomasT
14-10-2011, 17:47
HUGE improvement in responsive steering. Very good.

But still FFB feels very clonky. You steer one way then you turn the wheel the other way and it's completely dead/light for half a cm then clonk back on resistance. You guys notice this? It's worse in some cars, F1 turbo for example is worst I think, I just tried the Lotus -77 which is maybe even more this way after the update.. or maybe only I notice it more because the steering is more responsive.

Edit: The Asano Touring feels very smooth in the FFB after updating and I can feel grip loss, even different amounts of it. This car seem to have went in another direction than the others in FFB..

Ben_UK
14-10-2011, 18:10
Whats the approved method of installing a new build when you have an older one in place already? Can we just run the installer for the new one, or should we remove the old one first in programs menu etc?

Charlie Buscher
14-10-2011, 18:12
Whats the approved method of installing a new build when you have an older one in place already? Can we just run the installer for the new one, or should we remove the old one first in programs menu etc?

Uninstall old build before installing latest build.

Vittorio Rapa
16-10-2011, 18:08
Another thing I would like to see is highlighting the posts by the dev team by giving the background of the post a coloured tint or perhaps adding a border. Something to make the post stand out. Currently it's easy to not notice the coloured username.

Thanks for the suggestion. Staff posts are now highlighted (coloured post header, to not bee too intrusive).

Graine de Pilote
18-10-2011, 13:51
Good point!
Is it possible also to highlight the topic lead by dev team: progress report, code evolution, announcement to make them more visible in the "New Post" view and all the the view of the forum.

Dude27
18-10-2011, 13:53
Also get some sticky thread (always at the top) for the important ones

bleco
20-10-2011, 17:12
I would have a topic like this one but locked to user's reply ... Only weekly CARS release coordinator posts containing infos on what is coming in the next friday's built.

Bleco