PDA

View Full Version : What to Expect From the C.A.R.S. Build

Andy Garton
10-10-2011, 14:29
The first build of the game is a snapshot of the current early stage of development. It's awesome (!), but has very few actual features, minimal car and track content, and plenty of bugs :)

This represents the first step of our journey together to create the finished title. We do of course want you all to enjoy playing the build as it stands now, but equally importantly we need your help to make it better. In effect we need you to be game designers, QA engineers, and marketeers :)

From a design/playability perspective let us know what you think of the game now, both good points and bad points. Tell us what kind of features and content you want to see (and don't want to see!) in future.

QA wise at this phase of the project we're primarily interested in serious/showstopping bugs, the kind that prevents you from playing properly at all, e.g. it won't start up, or it crashes during track loading. At this stage there will be lots of less serious issues as mentioned above - most of these are simply a consequence of tasks not being finished yet. As we complete detailed features and content we'll let you know when we'd like bug reports on them. To give you some idea of the scale of the QA process - it's not unusual for a project of this size to encounter 20000+ bugs before it's done.

Equally importantly, we want you to help sell/market the project - the more team members we have the faster the game will progress. So tell your friends how great it is!

Have fun, and let's get to work :)

Andy Garton
12-10-2011, 13:32
The first build of the game is a snapshot of the current early stage of development. It's awesome (!), but has very few actual features, minimal car and track content, and plenty of bugs :)

QA wise at this phase of the project we're primarily interested in serious/showstopping bugs, the kind that prevents you from playing properly at all, e.g. it won't start up, or it crashes during track loading. At this stage there will be lots of less serious issues as mentioned above - most of these are simply a consequence of tasks not being finished yet. As we complete detailed features and content we'll let you know when we'd like bug reports on them. To give you some idea of the scale of the QA process - it's not unusual for a project of this size to encounter 20000+ bugs before it's done.

Perhaps worth a bump on the above points especially - the current build represents a very very early stage of development. It really is just the core racing engine, with a small amount of work-in-progress content. Huge areas of the "game" either don't exist yet or are placeholder. We know the GUI especially is very limited and makes things quite awkward to set up and use the game initially.

But please don't panic :) By all means play and enjoy what is there currently, but comparisons with completed games don't really hold much value yet as this one isn't! We have time ;)

ermo
15-10-2011, 21:03
Andy,

What can we as members expect in terms of progress reports and understanding the big picture? I understand that you plan to make minutes available for selected developer meetings, and I've taken note that Ian posted a "What's coming in Friday's build." thread, which I personally think is a great idea, but it might not scale too well down the line...

What is your position on e.g. making available a timeline with projected milestones a la trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/roadmap) so that us punters can know whether or not to wail and moan about a particular sacred cow for the next build / milestone?

I understand that you need to strike a balance in terms of what you spend your time on, of course. I also don't expect managing a project of this size and with this large an amount of testers will be a walk in the park... :cool:

But perhaps it's still a bit too early to ask about all this?

On a related note, I'm wondering if not you lot are going to be better off posting fairly conservative and pessimistic estimates to help manage expectations (IMHO, the above posts are good examples of that) and avoid people moaning too much -- I'm guessing that it'd feel a fair bit nicer for you (and hence boost team morale) if people are mostly being positively surprised? :D

EDIT: I see that I'm not the only one who has asked about timeline / milestone (read-only) access...

EDIT #2: I see that you're still debating whether / how to make the internal bugtracker available to the public (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?427-Bugzilla-Style-Bug-Tracking-QA&p=5936&viewfull=1#post5936)

Marienx
16-10-2011, 00:23
Hi, first of all I would like to thank SMS for such an amazing sim.

Here is my feedback an opinion... I love this game!
Even though im having a blast I would like to say that the physics can be improved, I just dont want to have that sence of arcade as so ever, not even a little bit... I want the most simulation you can give because at the end, the game as it is is no made for just any racing game fan but for harcore sim acer, for those with a pc wheel and sim racing experience.

Things I would like to see

*In car button interaction.. Meaning, being able to use and see moving the dials in the car.
Example: Netkar Pro

* Tire degradation... Make tire shines when you first start but while racing let us be able to see wearing out.
Example: rFactor2

*Real Clutch feeling.. as you know in real life you can't drive a manual vehicle if you don't use the clutch properly, but in every simracing game that I had played the clutch (in automatic clutch off) is not necessary to switch gears.
Example: rFactor, your Games, Live4Speed, etc..

*Safety car..
Example: rFactor

*Crashing against tires barriers... When crashing against it, please! don't make those tires feel like concrete walls and make them feel more like real tires
Example: http://assets.speedtv.com/images/article_assets/103/1036549/1036549_article_img_large2.jpg

* Engineer Mode & Team director mode... When forming a team I could be in the race acting as a team spotter or race engineer who sits in a track-side telemetry station being able to see everything from that spot like it was a cockpit such as car telemetry, position spots, whether cast, race... Always trying to enrich the team experience when making leagues, tournaments etc..
Example: http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2008/pg/62046598/sc016.jpg

*Team Radio.. From the track-side telemetry stations where the spotters would be they will contact their drivers with team radios with real in-game background noise.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX0U8VsxqV8

*Real pit experience such as free-view around pits garage and full pit madness when coming for a pit stop. Also you know when you don't request a pit stop in rf and you just coming to pits and pit crew just show up and are ready, well don't make it like this many
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mg9E9x3rEMA

*animated Safety Marshals

*Podium victories with driver celebration and for this will be ideal to be able to create your own characters face.

*Realistic damage... We know how fragile racing cars are so make the best damage simulation out there.

*Dry line when rain. Example: rfactor2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLH_8PxiD5E

As ideas come along I will keep them posting

Machinaea
16-10-2011, 13:50
*In car button interaction.. Meaning, being able to use and see moving the dials in the car.

- regarding detailed cockpit animations (buttons switch etc...), it's doable, but extremely expensive. Each car is unique, so we are preparing driver animations from scratch for every single car (just imagine 1 day for cockpit animations multiplied by 100 cars or more) and when you're driving, you just barely notice such things like hands switching buttons ON/OFF. It's nice, but we would rather focus on overall animations quality than making a lot of animations for every single button and each car, which won't look so good as we won't have enough time for it.

* Tire degradation... Make tire shines when you first start but while racing let us be able to see wearing out.
Example: rFactor2
Tire wear will be added with tires blowing and visual effects.

*Crashing against tires barriers... When crashing against it, please! don't make those tires feel like concrete walls and make them feel more like real tires
Example: http://assets.speedtv.com/images/article_assets/103/1036549/1036549_article_img_large2.jpg
I'm not sure about that one, but having invidual physics for all of the tires in the barriers sounds like a lot of work for the physics engine. Still, a really neat idea.

*Real pit experience such as free-view around pits garage and full pit madness when coming for a pit stop. Also you know when you don't request a pit stop in rf and you just coming to pits and pit crew just show up and are ready, well don't make it like this many
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mg9E9x3rEMA
I believe that proper pit stops are in the works.

*Podium victories with driver celebration and for this will be ideal to be able to create your own characters face.
A neat idea, but probably too much for work for a small detail.

*Dry line when rain. Example: rfactor2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLH_8PxiD5E
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?306-Living-Tracks

Andy Garton
16-10-2011, 19:40
Andy,

What can we as members expect in terms of progress reports and understanding the big picture? I understand that you plan to make minutes available for selected developer meetings, and I've taken note that Ian posted a "What's coming in Friday's build." thread, which I personally think is a great idea, but it might not scale too well down the line...

What is your position on e.g. making available a timeline with projected milestones a la trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/roadmap) so that us punters can know whether or not to wail and moan about a particular sacred cow for the next build / milestone?

I understand that you need to strike a balance in terms of what you spend your time on, of course. I also don't expect managing a project of this size and with this large an amount of testers will be a walk in the park... :cool:

But perhaps it's still a bit too early to ask about all this?

On a related note, I'm wondering if not you lot are going to be better off posting fairly conservative and pessimistic estimates to help manage expectations (IMHO, the above posts are good examples of that) and avoid people moaning too much -- I'm guessing that it'd feel a fair bit nicer for you (and hence boost team morale) if people are mostly being positively surprised? :D

EDIT: I see that I'm not the only one who has asked about timeline / milestone (read-only) access...

EDIT #2: I see that you're still debating whether / how to make the internal bugtracker available to the public (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?427-Bugzilla-Style-Bug-Tracking-QA&p=5936&viewfull=1#post5936)
All good questions/points and ones we've been discussing for a while now and will continue to do so. It is a little early to set a full project plan as this largely depends on the size of the member base (and what they want us to make). In the shorter term we do need to create a roadmap of the first set of features and content. The honest truth is that we've been very busy with the launch itself recently so there has been little time for much else. As a sneak peek though some of the things we're hoping to deliver soon are full access to car setups, a significantly improved menu system (albeit still not final in terms of design) and a time attack mode with an online leadebboard.

MrUniverse2101
17-10-2011, 18:59
I wish me, that the enginesounds are good in the replays, too! not like old synthesizer. It's time for a little sound revolution! It must sound like as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9TOy8HKnzE

Silvio Camolesi
19-10-2011, 01:24
Example: Netkar Pro

I'm an onwer of NKP licence since its release, and seriously, I can't see any positive point in this feature. It is not usefull and please tell me how you can drive and point your mouse onto a button on the screen while you do it.

What we really need is a GOOD simulator with AMAZING graphics, sound, accurated physics, raw and precise force feedback, a strong netcode, and perhaps day-nyght cycle, climatic changes and live track.

We don't need thousands of tracks and cars, not at first moment.

What we really need is something very well done, something with high quality in all senses.

We don't need to walk around the track or click virtual buttons on the screen.

d34n0
19-10-2011, 06:45
@ Silvio Camolesi, I'm also a huge NKPro fan (and owner) and I've used those in car dash buttons a whole one time (the first time i got the sim) and have never used them since. So although in concept they sound 'cool', they're not very practical like you say.

I also agree with everything else you said Silvio.

in order of preference:

Physics (sim sim sim (NKPro is the best 'feeling' sim I've found so far and I've tried them all (except i haven't tried the new tire model in iRacing))),
FFB,
Netcode,
GFX,
Sound,
Dedicated Server Support,
Then add the fluff like Weather, Track Evolution, Pit stop Mechanics, etc etc

HeraBrasil
20-10-2011, 17:55
Great BIG SORO.... totally agree with u!!!

Captain Crunch
24-10-2011, 04:07
An Idea to be considered. How many times have we all got a new game or sim and spent at least the first five minutes hiting enter to try and skip a intro video or some other useless gabage before we even get to the main menu? To many games and sim's alike fall prey to the idea of being pritty first. Don't get me wrong I love good graphics and sometimes have a hard time replaying some of my old favorites after so many years. My point is that by creating a entry into the game without all the frills you can add a button that allows the user to choose to watch the intro and not be forced into it at every corner. There is no reason at all anyone can give me that we need a movie at the begining of a game when don't need one. Thus creating a stream lined user interface thats direct and to the point, This will clearly reduce time spent on useless assets and reduce pruduction times. Case in point NFS shift 2 unleashed, Sure it looks fancy and its a sight to be hold. Buts theres no reason to waste the users time and resources that have nothing to do with my gaming experience. Another example and a very frustrating one Dirt 3 and dirt 2 had a pretty serious fault. If you had to restart your career or something similar you are forced to sit through all sorts of frustrating videos and load screens and accept this and that. I cannot imagine I'm the only one that feels this is very intrusive, and can ruin the mood to race all together. In my opinion to much time and effort has been wasted in rescent years on having some flashing menu system that add no real value to the gameplay as a whole. Sure some console gamers might get a wiff of some eye candy from across the room because of such needless graphical nonsence, but in the end we look back at some of the industry leading examples (Rfactor, Iracing) these sims have skipped most or all of this eye candy and gone straight for the metaphorical jugular when it comes to direct to the nitty grity. I think by dumping the user right to a main menu with obvious buttons to cinimatics and other candy you will make the majority client/user much happier.

Rick Rookie
24-10-2011, 05:20
I agree. In some cases less is more

djotefsoup
24-10-2011, 05:28
I don't mind a good intro movie (as in rF, GTR2, GTR Evo, etc) :)

The only real sin here is the LOOK DID YOU FORGET WHO PUBLISHED THE GAME, DIDYA, WELL WE'LL MAKE SURE YOU CAN NEVER FORGET thing EA and other major publishers pull with their unskippable publisher/studio credits.

Are Leistad
24-10-2011, 12:18
... I think by dumping the user right to a main menu with obvious buttons to cinimatics and other candy you will make the majority client/user much happier.
GT5 has an option for that. So should C.A.R.S..

Intros are cool to watch once or twice, but the novelty wears off real quick.

petrolhd
24-10-2011, 20:17
I'm an onwer of NKP licence since its release, and seriously, I can't see any positive point in this feature. It is not usefull and please tell me how you can drive and point your mouse onto a button on the screen while you do it.

What we really need is a GOOD simulator with AMAZING graphics, sound, accurated physics, raw and precise force feedback, a strong netcode, and perhaps day-nyght cycle, climatic changes and live track.

We don't need thousands of tracks and cars, not at first moment.

What we really need is something very well done, something with high quality in all senses.

We don't need to walk around the track or click virtual buttons on the screen.

Day - Night cycle a must for 24 or 12 hour races :)

banjowyobow
24-10-2011, 21:02
I honestly expected more sensitivity of realism in driving the ffb is horrible, looks like a NFS, people going to do real physics as in GTR2 please ... Thank you.

Rocinante
26-10-2011, 03:17
Thank you for doing this, I hope to be an asset to the project.

TurboGigi
26-10-2011, 09:52
I honestly expected more sensitivity of realism in driving the ffb is horrible, looks like a NFS, people going to do real physics as in GTR2 please ... Thank you.

Build 78 has made ​​great strides forward with FFB and our contribution should be no complaints, but an indication of the problem! No need to repeat the same refrain. The team is working on it and is aware of the work to be done.
Check your settings because it is not true that it seems NFS. :confused:

xwelder
26-10-2011, 18:15
have the best of both worlds....leave the long into videos for people that want & like them & for the i wanna get to the game now brigade like myself include a check box that skips the intros..

eddiespag
30-10-2011, 15:13
What I hope is focused on almost as equal as car and tire physics is the other part of the driving equation. This being the track; a greater advanced form of "Live Track Technology". This should have a track that reflects the reality of changing conditions due to air and track temp, weather, rubber build up, dust and dirt brought onto the track from driver or AI mistakes, actual conditions from the region where the track is located (sand, dust etc. and reflecting it's minimal or constant use throughout the year and maybe even residual rubber build up from the support races that use different tire compounds), klag, oil. All this should be represented in actual and realistic sections/portions of track...on the racing line and off the racing line. It is important to have these differences of grip shown 'vertical' (front to back, and side to side) ie. 2-4ft from the racing line, to sections of variances from 5-10ft ahead to behind, just before corners, in corners and coming out of corners. This hopefully will be created in realistic live time and not something 'looped' and thus gimmicky. When one thinks about this, you realize that this track/tarmac portion of the sim software is just as complex in computing and creating as the car/tire itself... yet just as beautiful for the driver/racer to experience.

franklin
31-10-2011, 01:46
as Junior Member I wish new build improve driving feeling, I know developers dont like compares, but it is necessary, please we need physics nearest to RACE 07 and would be special to have a porcent rate of difficult instead of EASY, MEDIUM and HARD...
Professional drivers always say to drive touring cars are not so hard as found at sim games, please horry about to have real physics instead of a best challenge race game ever made
WTCC drivers or engineers are contribuiting to this project?

kselman
31-10-2011, 01:49
What I hope is focused on almost as equal as car and tire physics is the other part of the driving equation. This being the track; a greater advanced form of "Live Track Technology". This should have a track that reflects the reality of changing conditions due to air and track temp, weather, rubber build up, dust and dirt brought onto the track from driver or AI mistakes, actual conditions from the region where the track is located (sand, dust etc. and reflecting it's minimal or constant use throughout the year and maybe even residual rubber build up from the support races that use different tire compounds), klag, oil. All this should be represented in actual and realistic sections/portions of track...on the racing line and off the racing line. It is important to have these differences of grip shown 'vertical' (front to back, and side to side) ie. 2-4ft from the racing line, to sections of variances from 5-10ft ahead to behind, just before corners, in corners and coming out of corners. This hopefully will be created in realistic live time and not something 'looped' and thus gimmicky. When one thinks about this, you realize that this track/tarmac portion of the sim software is just as complex in computing and creating as the car/tire itself... yet just as beautiful for the driver/racer to experience.

As long of a shot as it is, would it be possible to implement a particle engine for sand to move onto the track in windy condition/when a car "pushes" sand into the raceway or when tyres carry it back on?

Kabba
31-10-2011, 12:44
Hi.

I have great hopes in this sim, the career mode looks great and I know lots of things will be added in the future. But, in my opinion the most important thing is drive feeling, and actually I have too much trouble with my fanatec to get a good feeling, too much input lag or not sure what it is but if I turn the wheel a little, i have to wait before the car actually turn. It's not drivable for me so I dont spent more time on C.A.R.S. but I'm sure it will be fixed :)

Russell Magill
01-11-2011, 16:25
Can anyone tell me when Junior Members should expect a build update? As it is the following month from when the last update (73) was made available to us, thanks.

Joao Monteiro
01-11-2011, 16:27
First Friday of each month (which means next Friday you'l have a new build too)

franklin
01-11-2011, 16:36
Input lag is the main issue from NFSU1/2, after years still been a big problem, but for fanatec wheels it is also a problem with other games, I saw a video of the guy from insidesimracing playing f1 2011 with some much lag

porosenoq
01-11-2011, 16:54
I have input lag too. I am using a logitech g25 wheel and I notice that when i turn the wheel it takes some time before the game react. I don't know what is the reason for this, but it makes driving realy hard. I even struggle in straight lines. I am pretty sure I've set up my wheel correctly. I have expirience with some other race-sims and there is no such problem there. I realy hope it will be an improvement, because I like the game very much and I have big expectations for it.

Markus Siegmeth
01-11-2011, 17:29
There was the same issue with NfS Shift 2 regarding input lag. But this was quite easily fixed by disabling input dampening in the file XML vehicleset_pc_xinput_default, there was a setting called
DampeningEnabled="1"
which had to be set to 0 - and voilá: input lag was gone! Drifting events were impossible before but a charm afterwards!
I think Shift 2 and CARS have the same underlying technology - but there seems to be no such file in CARS afaik

EDIT: nevermind - found the setting in the debug options! Now everything behaves as it should - input lag is greatly reduced and the cars are FAR more controllable!

sagea
04-11-2011, 19:09
Hi,
thank you for this amazing simulation! even at this level of development, the quality is really in return! I already dream to see the quality of finished software. Great job

Bye

GAT_Montana
08-11-2011, 14:21
Input lag is the main issue from NFSU1/2, after years still been a big problem, but for fanatec wheels it is also a problem with other games, I saw a video of the guy from insidesimracing playing f1 2011 with some much lag

I am playing F1 2011 on Xbox360 and PC and I nver had this problem you are talking about. its just a question of setting. In Codemasters Games much important is to set the dumping to -3, drift to 0. Rotation degrees, ff, shock and ABS as you prefere. All others to Zero, thats it. In most cases problems with Fanatec steering are "selfmade". In case of Shift 2 (especially console) its the game, true unfortunately. :( otherwise I still would love the game).

Sindor
12-11-2011, 01:57
Hello, I am a new member of this simulation. I drove on GTR2 for 4 years ago in a big French league. I hope that this simulation will be up to the expectations of many players, particularly in terms of realism, worn tires, shocks, grip, etc ... I sincerely hope that CARS can take over from rFactor or GTR2 in these areas, because right now GTR Evolution did not succeed. I have found that it is graphically very good job, congratulations. Hope that realism follow the same path.
Thanking you.
--------
Bonjour, je suis nouvellement membre de cette simulation. J'ai piloté sur GTR2 pendant 4 ans auparavant au sein d'une grosse ligue française. J'espčre que cette simulation sera ŕ la hauteur des attentes de beaucoup de joueurs, notamment au niveau du réalisme, usure des gommes, chocs, grip, etc... Je souhaite de tout coeur que C.A.R.S puisse prendre la relčve de rFactor ou GTR2 dans ces domaines, car pour l'instant GTR Evolution n'y est pas parvenu. J'ai pu constaté que graphiquement c'est du trčs bon travail, félicitations. Espérons que le réalisme suive cette męme voie.
En vous remerciant.

J.Castanet

YANNLEBLANC
14-11-2011, 10:30
I think here is a good place too http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?124-New-Member-Introductions! ;)

Barra
14-11-2011, 11:20
Hi, I am a new member to CARS and I am really enjoying the sim even at this early stage. I am not sure if this suggestion belongs here or not, but it would be great if cars that have high amounts of downforce created turbulent air for those cars behind. Often when watching motorsport we are told how difficult it is to overtake in modern F1 cars and yet no sim has ever really modeled this.

The team is doing a great job, keep it up.

Erhan
06-12-2011, 21:45
Hello all. I recently joined. I haven't had a chance to play the game yet.

I have one suggestion: A mode to develop driver skills, get used to cars, setup the chassis, and setup steering wheel controller.. What I'm thinking is a skid pad (dry & wet), a slalom course, and even auto-cross course. It could be even fun if we get to design the auto-cross course. Skid pad would be especially useful to get a feel for a car, test the chassis setup (game can show lateral g's etc) and make adjustments to the steering wheel controller as well.

Also, we should be able to access chassis setup and wheel controller from within the track, because it is a big PITA to exit current session, go make an adjustment, and re-load a track etc... Gets annoying fast.

Cheers,
-erhan

oneloops
10-12-2011, 18:20
The sounds of explosions (a little ramdomize) at downshifting for me its a must to feel the real competition cars... others simulators and console games are very aseptic in this important detail.

Include Porsche or Ruf cars !!! Please !!!

Congratulations for the great job of til build 111 :D !!!

ey120kgK
22-12-2011, 01:04
After some initial testing, I've had a couple of notable items to check off (not to start off on the wrong foot here...) First would be the tire modeling - seems to vary quite a lot between car models, eg. Formula B is nearly undriveable at low speeds from all the understeer. I do realize there's probably a bit of low slip angle plow when you're not moving very fast, but on the sim it's quite extreme. Then on the other end the R500 is uber-nervous most of the time, as if it's over-damped.

I'd like to see some kind of Motec or Atlas data plug-in so I could confirm suspicions with analysis - not sure if that's in the works. Also, Bathurst in particular looks great, but might need some optimization in spots - can get laggy up by the Esses. Good drama though, you really "feel" the elevation changes there.

The only other thing I can think of now is maybe make the steering lock tuning more intuitive - don't quite know what to make of the decimal ratios on the slider control. Something like a range of 9.0:1 to 25:1 matched to the controllers input lock would at least give an idea of where the wheels are going. Either that, or the opposite where you set the car's full lock range, then your controller's range and it references the ratio.

Just thoughts, otherwise seems to be progressing well - impressive for such an early build!

Tuttle
22-12-2011, 01:24
I agree for some aspect.

For sure, I'd like to see real values in car settings and a best access during testing. Idem for Telemetry plug-in (I use Motec as well).

About Formula B....the real problem I have for now, is correlated with FFB response. I've a bad feeling in general, especially around center position and spring. I like nervous cars, but FFB should help me understand what the car is doing. :)

Dan Blamey
22-12-2011, 02:35
After some initial testing, I've had a couple of notable items to check off (not to start off on the wrong foot here...) First would be the tire modeling - seems to vary quite a lot between car models, eg. Formula B is nearly undriveable at low speeds from all the understeer. I do realize there's probably a bit of low slip angle plow when you're not moving very fast, but on the sim it's quite extreme. Then on the other end the R500 is uber-nervous most of the time, as if it's over-damped.

I'd like to see some kind of Motec or Atlas data plug-in so I could confirm suspicions with analysis - not sure if that's in the works. Also, Bathurst in particular looks great, but might need some optimization in spots - can get laggy up by the Esses. Good drama though, you really "feel" the elevation changes there.

The only other thing I can think of now is maybe make the steering lock tuning more intuitive - don't quite know what to make of the decimal ratios on the slider control. Something like a range of 9.0:1 to 25:1 matched to the controllers input lock would at least give an idea of where the wheels are going. Either that, or the opposite where you set the car's full lock range, then your controller's range and it references the ratio.

Just thoughts, otherwise seems to be progressing well - impressive for such an early build!

Hi ey120 :)

The different experiences you're having are somewhat due to the state the cars are in completion-wise. The R500 is in very early stage, while the Formula B is a lot further along. You can see what stage the cars are up to in the Vehicles sub-forum.

The steering lock thing has also been mentioned and it has been stated that dynamic lock per car will be implemented, but not in the very short term, see here (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?1813-Recommended-In-Game-Steering-Lock-for-All-Cars&p=33297&viewfull=1#post33297).

Dan

Andy Jackson
01-02-2012, 19:36
Hi all, just wondering when us junior team members get to download each new build? I know it's monthly, but was wondering when each month? Thanks and keep up the good work.

ps, currently on build 124 and have been for a while, can't wait for my next build to see whats improved.

Ian Bell
01-02-2012, 19:46
Hi all, just wondering when us junior team members get to download each new build? I know it's monthly, but was wondering when each month? Thanks and keep up the good work.

ps, currently on build 124 and have been for a while, can't wait for my next build to see whats improved.

First Friday.

Andy Jackson
01-02-2012, 20:37
First Friday.

Thanks.:unconscious:

kibert
02-02-2012, 08:06
Buenas, soy nuevo x aquí y bajando este trabajo para probarlo, desde ya soy un usuario 100% simulacion, no me hablen de shif dirt nfs o parecidos, una total desgracia para mi el haber perdido tiempo en eso, hoy x hoy apunto a rfactors, iracing, lfs, nkpro rbr, simplemente x su simulacion pero claro hay cuestiones en c/u de ellos tambien y sin entrar en ellas simplemente espero en este juego lo mejor referente a: Imagen - Sonidos - realidad de pilotaje o manejo del vehiculo - esto ultimo el punto mas importante para mi...
Los sonidos como las graficas en su mejor calidad pero sin trucos ni inventos raros, me refiero a realidad en cortes de encendido, explociones de escape, ruidos de derrape chillido de gomas, etc, etc.. simple, afiliarse a lo real para cada vehiculo... Mi intención seria manejar, sentir, ver y escuchar el auto tal cual es..!!: Cool:

En vista dentro de cabina ( la unica q uso) sin piloto ni bolante ya que veo el propio + mis brazos...

Desde ya un gran saludo d mi parte veo q estan con mucho empeńo en esto y les deseo lo mejor, pero eso si, nunca terminen como codemasters que iniciaron en simulacion con éxitos como el toca y terminaron en la rama de los arcade....please.........necesitamos gente como uds que apuesten a la realidad de la simulacion.. Un abrazo..!!

Hi, I'm new here and down x this work to prove it, since I am already a user 100% simulation, no dirt shif talk to me about nfs or similar, a total disgrace for having lost my time on that, today pointed to rfactors x today , iRacing, lfs, rbr nkpro simply x the simulation but of course there are issues on c / u of them too, and without going into them in this game just hope the best concerning: Image - Sounds - actually driving or handling of the vehicle - this last the most important point for me ...
Sounds like the graphics at their best quality without gimmicks or weird inventions, I mean really cuts ignition, exhaust explosions, noise squeal of skidding tires, etc, etc. .. simple, join the real thing for each vehicle ... My intention would be to handle, feel, see and hear the car as it is ..!!: Cool:

In view inside cabin (the only use q) without pilot or handout because I own + my arms ...

And a big hello from me I d q are very hard on this and I wish them well, but that if codemasters never end as they began in simulation with hits such as playing and ended up in the branch of the arcade ... . ......... Please we need people like units that are committed to the reality of the simulation .. A hug ..!

Remco Van Dijk
02-02-2012, 08:08
Buenas, soy nuevo x aquí y bajando este trabajo para probarlo, desde ya soy un usuario 100% simulacion, no me hablen de shif dirt nfs o parecidos, una total desgracia para mi el haber perdido tiempo en eso, hoy x hoy apunto a rfactors, iracing, lfs, nkpro rbr, simplemente x su simulacion pero claro hay cuestiones en c/u de ellos tambien y sin entrar en ellas simplemente espero en este juego lo mejor referente a: Imagen - Sonidos - realidad de pilotaje o manejo del vehiculo - esto ultimo el punto mas importante para mi...
Los sonidos como las graficas en su mejor calidad pero sin trucos ni inventos raros, me refiero a realidad en cortes de encendido, explociones de escape, ruidos de derrape chillido de gomas, etc, etc.. simple, afiliarse a lo real para cada vehiculo... Mi intención seria manejar, sentir, ver y escuchar el auto tal cual es..!!: Cool:

En vista dentro de cabina ( la unica q uso) sin piloto ni bolante ya que veo el propio + mis brazos...

Desde ya un gran saludo d mi parte veo q estan con mucho empeńo en esto y les deseo lo mejor, pero eso si, nunca terminen como codemasters que iniciaron en simulacion con éxitos como el toca y terminaron en la rama de los arcade....please.........necesitamos gente como uds que apuesten a la realidad de la simulacion.. Un abrazo..!!
Please use English only in these forums (use a translator if necessary). Thank you.

speed1
02-02-2012, 08:22
Oh good to know you can translate Remco now i can use my first language :D

franklin
02-02-2012, 20:01
Since I started playing BUILD 124 I changed the way of view CARS, it seens all is on the way to be a great sim, hope next builds have more improve in physics, please do not stop to improve it... excellence is near, but we want more and more;

2 points I expect from the nexts builds:
- damage model creation
- AI improving, not just speed up or down, real AI have different behavior of just be faster or slower

Andrew Clark
02-02-2012, 20:29
franklin you are in for a treat tommorrow!!!!

nuggetz
05-03-2012, 21:23
If someone were to rate the current physics model, what % complete is it? I feel that there is a lot to be improved on. At the end of the day, I can only judge the physics via my FFB wheel and some things feel very good while others leave a lot to be desired. I can't recall the car I was driving but the FFB was really good when shifting gears. Not sure if I was just imagining it but I swear I could feel the car shifting gears.

Michael Kondos
06-03-2012, 01:14
The game is in Pre-Alpha stage so the physics would be at the same stage.. They are already really good just needs some adjustments!!

mikeh86
09-03-2012, 12:12
Hi all, just a quick comment just signed up as a Full member, started my download and getting 3.2mbps. seen videos the game looks great. 9mins and i get to try it.

mikeh86
09-03-2012, 14:13
had a quick play, hard to play using keyboard. i need to do a switch route to where we have the car for me to test with a wheel.
i have tried "Fully Complete" sim/racing games that are no where near when C.A.R.S is already. Great job to the Dev's ETC.

Mike

Darker_Homes
14-03-2012, 16:49
I would love to update my build every week, but it just seems a hassle having to redownload via the net or a bitclient. Seems to take too long. Is there any plans to include an updater in the game? That way it would only download the relevant parts. Would save bandwidth space and generally be easier to handle. If there already is one and I've been a fool, I apologise! :D

Darker

Dude27
14-03-2012, 16:53
I'm with you on this... 2+ GB per week is a bit too much for my allowed monthly bandwith...

Andy Garton
14-03-2012, 17:03
An updater is planned yes. During development though it may not save you that much time. If we make a track shader change for example it generally means all tracks need rebuilding, which is a gig or so straight off.

Darker_Homes
14-03-2012, 17:22
I never thought about it like that Andy!

Would also add extra effort from you guys, which could be better spent actually working on the game I suppose. Anyway, off to try the latest build now that it's done downloading! :D

wombat666
15-03-2012, 05:06
I can live with the present system.
Being a late comer and relating my experience so far I'm all for freeing up the developers time as effectively as possible.

Big Ron
15-03-2012, 06:55
An updater is planned yes. During development though it may not save you that much time. If we make a track shader change for example it generally means all tracks need rebuilding, which is a gig or so straight off.

I think, it´s still better than downloading the full build. I am wondering, why you need to give an update for the whole track when you just change a shader. Has that sth to do with how it is included in the game. Isn´t it possible just to send the shader files? It´s just for my general interests.

oxygen2007rus
23-03-2012, 08:28
Hi to all. I am very intrested in this game and i wish to see this game on such events as World Cyber Games or Intel Extrene Masters. I played not so much time but i really loved it.

What i want to see in this game:
*Spectators mode... Sometimes i make streams from different "racing-game tournaments" and it's quite hard to make them with no such mode. I whould be pleased if you whould make it with statistics like in starcraft 2 (for example, speed, time and etc) and with different views.

Examples: Gran Tourismo 5, Dirt 3

*Replays... They were in Need For Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed. It would be nice to see them but with more information and easy to share.

Examples: Gran Tourismo 5, Need For Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed, Starcraft 2

*In-race chat and radio.

*Realistic damage

*(I don't know how to name this correctly - sorry for my english) Windowed mode (full screen) like in sc2.

*Fuel (in online games - optional)

That's all for now. Come back soon with more ideas...

consciousness
06-04-2012, 12:12
Downloading 1.89 now via Bitorrent @ 1.7mbps eta 27 mins. To me this is about as good as it gets. Thank you. BTW haven't played since 1.64 and since seeing the posts on Youtube of azure coast i'm practically jumping in my seat in anticipation!

Big Ron
06-04-2012, 12:18
...since seeing the posts on Youtube of azure coast i'm practically jumping in my seat in anticipation!

Isn´t available for Juniors, when I am correct. So better upgrade to prevent a heart attack :)

ringhino
06-04-2012, 16:33
i'm expect a box screen with setup and time/telemetry comparison with other player in the event/race.

DinoM
18-04-2012, 10:32
English:
I would especially like to CARS-in that you do not find it now. I mean that which has already proven it to be used. For example, it would be a good animated car setup to be able to see the effect of what you set, because not every race engineer. Have a good steering wheel support. The physics of the cars to be close to reality but not to the degree of difficulty is set to be impossible to keep the car in the hardest difficulty. I say this is a typical example. The rFactor if you turned off the traction control, it immediately came up with a phenomenon like a drive on ice, not just a slip inhibitor had no effect, but lost his grip of the car. This is not real.
In addition, it would be a leaderbord where you can watch the front runners in the guise ghostcar how that went down the track. Cars are broken to affect the car's behavior, not just visually. The setup for sharing, can be saved as a file of every car and track. The multi-part, not much is known about the game, but it would be nice if it would be indicated in detail to what kind of help and may be used to exclude all of them or even allow some of them. Private rooms in order to create competition that only their own circle of friends to be settled by a special tournament and you can save all the results, training, qualifying and racing. The AI ​​no frauds to making difficult, but really be a fair opponent, as far as technology and programming that allows are the only game is enjoyable. But above all, the steering wheel support and the physics of the cars have the best and most important the best experience.

Hungarian:
Én azt szeretném elsősorban CARS-ban, hogy ne most találják fel. Értem ezalatt, hogy ami már jól bevált azt alkalmazni kellene. Példáúl jó lenne benne egy animált car setup, hogy lehessen látni a hatását annak amit beállítok, mert nem mindenki versenymérnök. Legyen egy jó kormánykerék támogatottság. Az autók fizikája legyen a valósághoz közeli, de ne úgy legyen a nehézségi fokozat beállítva, hogy az autó vezethetetlen legyen a legnehezebb fokozaton. Mondok erre egy jellemző példát. Az rFactorban, ha kikapcsoltam a kipörgésgátlót, akkor egyből egy olyan jelenség jött elő, mintha jégen autóznék, vagyis nem csak a kipörgés gátlóra volt hatással, hanem elvesztette a tapadását az autó. Ez nem valóságos.
Ezenkívül jó lenne egy olyan leaderbord, ahol meg lehet nézni ghostcar képében az első helyezettet, hogy hogyan ment végig az adott pályán. Az autók törése legyen kihatással az autó viselkedésére, ne csak vizuálisan. A setupok megoszthatósága, elmenthetősége fileként, minden autóhoz és pályához. A multi részéről még nem sokat lehet tudni a játéknak, de jó lenne, ha részletesen fel lenne tüntetve, hogy ki milyen segítségeket használ és esetleg lehessen kizárni az összeset vagy akár engedélyezni egyeseket. Lehessen privát verseny szobákat létrehozni, hogy csak a saját baráti körrel lehessen külön bajnokságot rendezni és el lehessen menteni minden eredményt, edzés, időmérő és verseny. Az AI ne csalásokkal legyen nehezítve, hanem valóban legyen egy sportszerű ellenfél, amennyire csak a technika és a programozás ezt lehetővé teszi, hogy az egyedüli játék is élvezetes legyen. De mindenek előtt a kormánykerék támogatottság és az autók fizikája legyen a lehető legjobb és a legfontosabb a legjobb élmény érdekében.

Roberto Castro
27-04-2012, 13:46
I want to thank the builders, is getting very good.
I wonder how will the multiplayer system, the pilots need to know if we will open servers and we can make our individual championships.
Thank you!

Minsonio
03-05-2012, 19:41
It well be great to have a really extended multiplayer experience, with leagues and championships, official and players own, its a next step in my opinion and a needed step.

thanks

Marc-Andre Denis
03-05-2012, 19:46
Minsonio: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?5614-Multiplayer-progress-update Here's the latest update about the state of the multiplayer. We are as eager as you to get into it with other players. For now though, it's not yet ready and we'll have to wait a bit more for it to be ready for some testing by players when devs will judge it ready for us :)

Minsonio
03-05-2012, 19:49
Hey Mad1723, Thank you! I just joined the project so, I'm new at this! haha thank you, I'm going to check this out

Marc-Andre Denis
03-05-2012, 19:53
Hey Mad1723, Thank you! I just joined the project so, I'm new at this! haha thank you, I'm going to check this out
Pleasure to help. In the meantime, don't forget to post about bugs/glitches and your feedback through the different forums :) This way, when multiplayer is ready, the biggest bugs will be ironed out already :)

truerui87
09-05-2012, 17:12
hello everybody. can someone tell me if i can use the xbox360 steerig wheel or not realy? sorry if this may sound stupid...

Athlonic
09-05-2012, 17:23
hello everybody. can someone tell me if i can use the xbox360 steerig wheel or not realy? sorry if this may sound stupid...

This one ? : http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?2730-Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-Wheel-(USB)

Hope this helps ;)

wokowen
25-05-2012, 00:52
Hi
When will the game be properly set for SLI, without sacrificing visual quality?

Keep on the Good work:)

Remco Van Dijk
25-05-2012, 08:36
Hi
When will the game be properly set for SLI, without sacrificing visual quality?

Keep on the Good work:)
My guess is after pre-alpha :)

wokowen
25-05-2012, 14:58
Can´t wait:)

Marienx
29-05-2012, 22:25
Please SMS look into this... the finished product is a long way to be done and it can have it.

That ca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KppTmsNFneg

Is it has this I bet you is going to sell millions.... please before another they beat you to the punch and another simulation company get their hands on it. That is what simulation is all about.

wokowen
02-06-2012, 00:48
Please SMS look into this... the finished product is a long way to be done and it can have it.

That ca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KppTmsNFneg

Is it has this I bet you is going to sell millions.... please before another they beat you to the punch and another simulation company get their hands on it. That is what simulation is all about.

That is something I expect from sim games since ever...

webfabio
02-06-2012, 01:46
i have a suggestion: i dont remmember the all names cars, with photo gonna be easy choice...

makah21
10-06-2012, 08:26
Being able to tweak the AI is a whole other game in itself and hope to see it in the finished build. It is truly a great feature. Yet to see much of a progressive single or multiplayer so nothing much to say of the game yet. but keep up the good work. Would like to see a points system and licensing (ranked)system to keep green horns out of higher class races. something like iracing :S. I love how you can jump in a race and not have to worry about wreckless drivers. Because if you are wreckless you lose hard earned points off your license. But also have unranked races as well. I do not like the idea of dropping close to two hundred dollars to race one series. That is were I am at now in iracing.

menco
18-06-2012, 04:41
Being able to tweak the AI is a whole other game in itself and hope to see it in the finished build. It is truly a great feature. Yet to see much of a progressive single or multiplayer so nothing much to say of the game yet. but keep up the good work. Would like to see a points system and licensing (ranked)system to keep green horns out of higher class races. something like iracing :S. I love how you can jump in a race and not have to worry about wreckless drivers. Because if you are wreckless you lose hard earned points off your license. But also have unranked races as well. I do not like the idea of dropping close to two hundred dollars to race one series. That is were I am at now in iracing.

I liked to idea of the point system in iracing till i got run off the road a number of times and I was the one who lost the most points. Its a great idea but it punishes the wrong people at times. I just hope to see a full blow race seasons in the career mode that would be good.

mrhevor
25-07-2012, 21:27
WOW! This is the best phisic project video I've never seen in videogames..

HasiTasi
26-07-2012, 15:30
For example: Monaco+22 cars+rain+CryEngine3 and accident? Impossible! ;)

Winglet
24-09-2012, 19:02
For example: Monaco+22 cars+rain+CryEngine3 and accident? Impossible! ;)

But would be awesome! :cool:

BKGround
24-09-2012, 19:09
I see this think Baja 1000 or 500 or a rally sim or something along the line of dakar rally

BKGround
24-09-2012, 19:12
I see this think Baja 1000 or 500 or a rally sim or something along the line of dakar rally

I would put what I make from Project Cars into that project